+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: WTF Mana Burn??

Soulwalker

Default WTF Mana Burn??

I play a healer and was enjoying pvping till around lvl 30. Now as soon as I start casting heals at least one or two people cast a channeling spell that drains my mana. Normal I would be ok with this. A type of mana burn is something I come to expect in mmo pvping. But this spell drains my mana fully in about 6 seconds. Wtf... I don't know the spell thats exactly is being used but I'm sure its coming from a mage soul class.

Yes, it's a dominator "Mana Wrench" spell. You will have to be supported by your team to avoid it. Also, if you are a cleric, you have ways to recover mana and have a very good mana regen, so even if he drains you dry, as long as someone on your team disables him afterwards you'll be back on track in no time. If your team leaves you at the mercy of the dominator mage, they deserve no healing and the loss that's coming at them.

Plane Touched

The incombat methods for clerics to recover mana are lackluster. Once drained, a cleric is basically worthless. You've got mana pots, which are on a long cooldown. Inq gets a mana regen attack, but it can be resisted and is on a long cooldown. Warden gets a mana regen, but it only regens 15% and is on a long cooldown.

Mana wrench is spammable and replenishes the mage's mana supply. Transference is on a short cooldown and replenishes the mage's mana supply.

If you can get out of combat, drinks will replenish your mana rapidly. Besides that, you're out of luck.

Quote Originally Posted by General_Armchair View Post
    The incombat methods for clerics to recover mana are lackluster. Once drained, a cleric is basically worthless. You've got mana pots, which are on a long cooldown. Inq gets a mana regen attack, but it can be resisted and is on a long cooldown. Warden gets a mana regen, but it only regens 15% and is on a long cooldown.

Mana wrench is spammable and replenishes the mage's mana supply. Transference is on a short cooldown and replenishes the mage's mana supply.

If you can get out of combat, drinks will replenish your mana rapidly. Besides that, you're out of luck.
    You see that giant blue beam? Send mister 2 button wonder Champtard over to instagib the dom and profit. Now VK drains are crazy if they touch you your entire mana reserve is gone in seconds. Wrench takes 2-3 applications + transference to fully drain a cleric.
    "Few people are capable of expressing with equanimity opinions which differ from the prejudices of their social environment. Most people are even incapable of forming such opinions."
    Albert Einstein
    Ovgan<FUN> Sunrest

Plane Touched

So the solution is to do nothing.....great solution there buddy.

No, the solution is to rely on your team to overcome your weaknesses. Every calling/soul has weaknesses. For healers it's healing reduction skills and mana drains. In all those threads about warriors being OP, sabos being OP, mana burns being OP, and whatever else people think is OP at the moment, it's always "what can I do". The game isn't about YOU and ONLY YOU.
    Last edited by Schmicks; 03-06-2011 at 11:17 PM.

The advice to rely on your team only goes so far. We hear it for everything. Sabs doing OP damage? Rely on your teammates to dispel the charges! Dominator CCing everyone and running healers out of mana? Rely on your team! The list goes on, saying to rely on your team when something is borderline game-breakingly OP or frustrating in pvp. There's a reason CC has diminishing returns, because it's best to avoid mechanics that keep people from actually being able to play their character.

The problem isn't the team work on needing to rely on your team, of course, it's when you and your entire team must rely on one another to combat ONE single soul of ONE calling. Nobody says oh no, there's a warlock, quick, rely on your team. It's when very specific mechanics are clearly OP or bad design, then suddenly it shouldn't be changed, but people should just rely on their team.

So, your cleric needs to be chain casting dispels since the other team has a Sab, ah, but can't, because the other team has a dom too and the healer, who has better things than chain casting dispels, is out of mana anyhow. But don't worry, you'll just need to rely on your team to take out the Sab and Dom in quick order... all the while being wiithout heals, which means the cleric will be dead soon anyways since there isn't mana to dispel charges either.

GREAT FUN!

Relying on your team should just be something that is generally good strategy and what happens in the game, not an excuse defending a select few mechanics that are obvious not working right and getting the majority of the complaints. It's a cop-out, not a logical solution.
    -According to a Facebook quiz, I'm a genius.

Here's a fun fact. Solo, as a dominator I can kill a saboteur and finish at more then 3/4 of my health with him scratching his head at wtf has just happened. At the same time when I see a good warrior I run as fast as I can in the opposite direction. No class is great at everything.

Quote Originally Posted by popsicledeath View Post
    The advice to rely on your team only goes so far. We hear it for everything. Sabs doing OP damage? Rely on your teammates to dispel the charges! Dominator CCing everyone and running healers out of mana? Rely on your team! The list goes on, saying to rely on your team when something is borderline game-breakingly OP or frustrating in pvp. There's a reason CC has diminishing returns, because it's best to avoid mechanics that keep people from actually being able to play their character.
    The best part is that half of the people seem to think that to kill a healer you SHOULDN'T have to rely on your team. They all want to solo healers.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitsuner View Post
    The best part is that half of the people seem to think that to kill a healer you SHOULDN'T have to rely on your team. They all want to solo healers.
    A lot of the crowd is used to being gods they were in WoW able to tank out 2-3 dps while healing their team.

Rift Chaser

Haha i actually feel sorry for Clerics when i play a VK. I just run around and burn their mana. Eventually they get so pissed they stop healing and just run after me trying to annoy me.

I'm really not enjoying it though as i like clerics but its effective.

Quote Originally Posted by popsicledeath View Post

The problem isn't the team work on needing to rely on your team, of course, it's when you and your entire team must rely on one another to combat ONE single soul of ONE calling. Nobody says oh no, there's a warlock, quick, rely on your team. It's when very specific mechanics are clearly OP or bad design, then suddenly it shouldn't be changed, but people should just rely on their team.

So, your cleric needs to be chain casting dispels since the other team has a Sab, ah, but can't, because the other team has a dom too and the healer, who has better things than chain casting dispels, is out of mana anyhow. But don't worry, you'll just need to rely on your team to take out the Sab and Dom in quick order... all the while being wiithout heals, which means the cleric will be dead soon anyways since there isn't mana to dispel charges either.

GREAT FUN!

Relying on your team should just be something that is generally good strategy and what happens in the game, not an excuse defending a select few mechanics that are obvious not working right and getting the majority of the complaints. It's a cop-out, not a logical solution.
    I for one think he/she has excellent points. Sure, it's all about teamwork but this is beyond ridiculous
    Last edited by Madriel; 03-07-2011 at 03:00 AM.

ROFL

Obviously, the people saying "rely on your team" don't have an answer.

It's not a hard thing to do to drain a cleric's mana. I can drain it before the sabs/warriors even know it's happening, or who is doing it.

GL with that advice...lol.
    Otherwise known as Morganlefae

Shadowlander

Well since Clerics are useless, just replace the cleric with a Dominator so if the other team brings a cleric they'll be -1 effective soul. Hell, why not just remove the Cleric class completely.

/signed

If it weren't so detrimental and actually took time to do, it might be less of a problem. On top of that, Line-of-Sight needs to be calculated during channels since you can't break them outside of getting VERY out of range.

There's been a lot of times when I've gone from a full pool to having zero, and relying on my (granted quick) passive mana regeneration. Either way, between being hit with mana drains and warrior stuns, I'm stuck wondering when I'll be able to actually defend myself against any of this.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast