+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Petition: Team Death match mode for all warfront maps.

Plane Touched

bumpage
    /10chr
    * Petition: Team Death match mode for all warfront maps.

The biggest mistake I see mages and other range classes do is try to tank me, as a warrior. Are you insane? What makes you believe you can fight and survive me at melee range as a guy wearing a bedsheet with a belt trying to pass it off as armor and the hp pool of a wetnapkin.

Am i supposed to be teaching you how to play your class in between beating you in the warfronts?

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by MrFoxx View Post
    We all want it, just a big map, like the codex, and its just about getting the most kills in 10minutes.

I dont want to capture a flag.
    I dont want to hold a portion of the map.
    I Dont want to do a combination of both.
    AND I DEFINITELY DON'T WANT TO PROTECT SOME RANDOM NPC!!

I just want to find the enemy, attack the enemy, see big numbers and smile. Just give me some good old fashioned, Deathmatch.

My proposal, ad a mode to all the maps, black garden, the codex, and all the rest, where players can choose to join the death match mode of it. And it last 5minutes for the smaller maps, 10minutes for the mid size maps, 20 minutes for the larger maps.

The only objective, is to get as many kills as you can in the time limit. DONE!

Lets face it, the biggest reason for losing any of these pvp zones is the fact that people spend more time trying to kill then trying to achieve the objective. And i cant get angry at those people, a lot of people don't want to do some silly objective, a lot of people just want to fight. Why is there no option for them to do that at every level bracket.

And no, this is not the same as the arena, It doesn't need to be ranked, it just needs to be an option. There is a reason why Most pvp games, have team deathmatch as the most popular game mode. Dont believe me? Go play call of duty, any one of them, how many people are actually playing headquarters, or sabotage, compared to the number playing straight team deathmatch!

Team Deathmatch Warfronts, Sign here, Make it happen.
    In theory this is a good idea but in practice it would be bad. Death matching would be fun, but the problem is that one side would roll the other and you'd just end up with spawn camping for the total match. Very few warfronts are ever truly balanced teams fighting it out. The good side of warfront of objectives is it actually splits people apart versus running as a complete zerg every place you go.

If they could design a deathmatch war front that would cause groups to split apart and move around then it would be fun. I have no idea how they could do that.

World PvP is deathmatch.

What you describe is arena on a big map and Trion has said that E-sports are not expected to be in Rift.

Rainingblood
    "Live for nothing, or die for something." -John Rambo

Shadowlander

No.

The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 10 characters.

Add TDM, if it kills capture the flag and king of the hill modes then how is that a bad thing? Doesnt that simply mean people dont enjoy playing those modes and they only did it because THEY HAD NO OTHER CHOICE.
    Because not EVERYONE likes to play those games. You talk about choice, but what happens when they do kill off all the other games except for the couple hundred people across all servers wanting to play the others. Then people feel forced to play another game mode they don't enjoy playing because thats where the pvp is at. What happened to THEIR CHOICE? It's ok to say Well, sure, not everyone likes TDM, but a lot do. Enough that might kill all other play modes, but its ok because I like it and thats my choice. Sounds kind of selfish to me.

Again. Im not against TDM. But IMO with how fast people die, the amount of kills would have to be pretty high to make it last any longer than 5 minutes, and in TDM the team with the most support / healers is GOING to win. Right now i've seen miracle games where the team without healers still manages to pull off a win because they completed the objective. But once TDM is introduced and the whole point is staying alive, well you can see the outcome for the team without healers.

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Shanst View Post
    Because not EVERYONE likes to play those games. You talk about choice, but what happens when they do kill off all the other games except for the couple hundred people across all servers wanting to play the others. Then people feel forced to play another game mode they don't enjoy playing because thats where the pvp is at. What happened to THEIR CHOICE? It's ok to say Well, sure, not everyone likes TDM, but a lot do. Enough that might kill all other play modes, but its ok because I like it and thats my choice. Sounds kind of selfish to me.

Again. Im not against TDM. But IMO with how fast people die, the amount of kills would have to be pretty high to make it last any longer than 5 minutes, and in TDM the team with the most support / healers is GOING to win. Right now i've seen miracle games where the team without healers still manages to pull off a win because they completed the objective. But once TDM is introduced and the whole point is staying alive, well you can see the outcome for the team without healers.
    The current modes do not offer pvp, they offer a game mode where the pvp oriented players suffer because they actually focus on the pvp.

Do you thin anyone would watch ultimate fighter if they 2 fighters got in the ring and then spent 15 minutes trying to keep possession of a heavy bag away from the other guy?

No, because that would be stupid as hell, so why is it pvp is reduced to capture the flag or king of the hill, and alll these so called pvpers defend these ridiculous game modes but are against just straight forward killing?

I am talking about choice, what happens to the other modes when choice is offered is called natural selection, and the popular game mode thrives, what you are saying is exactly what the other guy said when i shut it down the first time. Being against Deathmatch because you are afraid that everyone will ACTUALLY go play it is not a good reason to say no.

The more popular game mode should win, and alot of you know deathmatch would win if players were actually given a choice.
    * Petition: Team Death match mode for all warfront maps.

The biggest mistake I see mages and other range classes do is try to tank me, as a warrior. Are you insane? What makes you believe you can fight and survive me at melee range as a guy wearing a bedsheet with a belt trying to pass it off as armor and the hp pool of a wetnapkin.

Am i supposed to be teaching you how to play your class in between beating you in the warfronts?

Quote Originally Posted by Telkor View Post
    I think a deathmatch could be fun. I don't think it could be done on the maps we have now. I think something like the following would work though:

Picture a long alley, thats very wide, with structures looming high above on both sides. There could be small inlets placed sparsely down the allley (For LoS). At each end of the alley are small globes, and further behind the globes there is a Graveyard for each faction. Each team would start the match at the graveyard and run at each other towards the middle, each faction attempting to get to the other end and click (capture) the globe. Make the alley long enough that the games last a little bit. Maybe even placing various globes down the alley that must be "captured", and whoever has the most globes at the end of the time limit, or whichever team grabs the last globe (closest to the oppising faction's GY) wins. There could even be random events that happen, like fires or steam, that could hurt you. Small obstacles that litter the floor but provide some LOS as your team progresses down the hall.

This type of map would promote a simple kill or be killed type scenario and would also be objective enough that you would have to accomplish it as a team.
    CONGRATS! You just described something that is NOT deathmatch but an objective based warfront.

Do you thin anyone would watch ultimate fighter if they 2 fighters got in the ring and then spent 15 minutes trying to keep possession of a heavy bag away from the other guy?

No, because that would be stupid as hell, so why is it pvp is reduced to capture the flag or king of the hill, and alll these so called pvpers defend these ridiculous game modes but are against just straight forward killing?......
    What you described is a duel. What would be awesome is a 5v5 CTF where both teams would beat the **** out of each other trying to get both flags on one side of the area. That would be awesome. Y

You could even be describing American Gladiators, I seem to remember that show doing quite well for itself back in the day. Each event had a 'goal' and rules.

Are you guys really trying to tell me that deathmatch wouldn't work at all in a MMORPG without the arbitrary added objective of trying to catch a flag? Do you really believe that? Sounds like silly nonsense to me, i cant believe it didnt sound silly to you when you wrote it.
    Yes. You have to have an objective and/or limited resources in order to make it work from a game design point of view. Let's say making it multiple rounds that last till one team is dead, but oh wait that's arena. You still have not addressed the biggest problem with team death match, forcing people out of a camping spot. This isn't a FPS where a single headshot can kill someone to balance staying in one place where people know where you are.

Back in the day, (T)DM used to be the only way to play FPS but that mode gets boring pretty quick. There is a reason for that. There is no purpose behind the fighting, nothing to force the conflict to happen. If anything DM promotes run and hide gameplay more than anything since the only measure of success is kill counts. While with control point for example, someone will stay at a losing fight trying to disrupt/delay the other team waiting for reinforcements. It promotes conflict. It's why mods like Team Fortress and Counterstrike showed up and became so popular, they provided OBJECTIVES outside of twitch killing.

People want to make it seem like pvp is not about the epeen, that is like saying you guys raid 5 days a week because you truly care about the fate of the world. Its nonsense, ALL NONSENSE!
    Dumb analogies are dumb, this makes no sense.

You pvp for the same reason you raid, you want better gear, you want that gear to make yourself stronger, and at the end of that road there are two out comes, either players will stand in awe of your greatness, gather around you in town, and flood you with whisper commending you on your awesome gear, or cower in fear, because they have seen your name in the warfront and they are still sore from the last whupping you gave them.
    A lot of you are making it seem as though it would break the game to add a mirror version of every pvp map currently available, strip it of its objectives and just make it about killing the opponent.

If you want to play codex and capture the points, queue for that, but if you want to do deathmatch, then queue for that, why is having that option so offensive to some of you?
    No, some pvp for the sake of pvp. Who cares about the gear outside of it being necessary to kill people.

Yes it would break things. It would be mind numbingly boring. What you want is RvR, that would be PvP where you would not be forced to participate in and the objectives you don't really have to worry about. Only the raid leader would, and you could follow mindless commands to go here kill everything.

Anyway, there is a reason you are not a game designer, and I suggest you never entertain the thought of pursuing that career path. I'd stick to something simpler and safer, like walmart greeter.

TL;DR You don't understand how games work, stop trying to.
    Last edited by Oragog; 03-08-2011 at 05:36 PM.
    "If you make a really big stink, grab the air freshener by the sink.
    Spray the contents everywhere, so the next person can smell the air." - Albert Einstein

Plane Touched

yes i would definetly likes to see different play style for each map.
    but death match would happen way less often than the regular one.

Quote Originally Posted by uvo View Post
    Or sometimes people want to fight without an objective.... don't be a jerk. Just because somebody wants to make the game more enjoyable for themselves does not mean you should bash them.
    This. I play both Tank/DPS and Healer and sure objective modes are fine and i play well in a group during which - however a "TDM" match would be fun.

Rift Chaser

So you want to kill stuff and nothing else? Here's how to do it and still help your team win and not piss people off.

Black Garden: Your team has the flag, defend it. Guess how you do that? Kill people when they show up. Other team has the flag? Kill people.

Codex: Camp out at the Codex. I guarantee unless the match is a blowout people will show up and you have a great view of the rest of the map. Watch for the enemy mob and go ganking. How do you protect a flag? Kill people. How do you take a flag being defended? Kill people. (CC also works but whatever)

Whitefall: Your guy has the crystal? Follow him until the enemy shows up (they WILL show up) then stop them from following with slows, stuns, fears, death, whatever (aka: kill people). They have the crystal, hunt them down and KILL PEOPLE....

Really, you can be all about killing people and still help your team win. Just kill intelligently instead of chasing some random rogue off in to a corner just because he looked at you funny. I constantly help my team win, holding fang, capping/defending points, running crystal, whatever. Die only a few times, end up near the top in healing output, damage output, kills and sometimes even KBs.

If you can't figure out how to just kill stuff without being useless towards the objectives... try harder. Be in the right places and killing the right people. The WFs as they are now NEED teams to have a few facerollers, BE that faceroller and your team will love you. But if you're the idiot chasing the rogue...

Ascendant

Not going to work with this, heal and buff game, Black Garden is perfect, "ALL KILL THE FANG CARRIER" 10 guy is trying to kill it and nothing, guy just take a cup of coffee and relax. THey cant make anything cool with this. Im really old time pro, I know this PVP is just utter fail.
    Last edited by June; 03-15-2011 at 01:39 AM.

Soulwalker

signed, man would love it, just to kill

This idea is BRILLIANT and would definetely breath some life into this game. Everyone down trodding it has been brain washed into thinking only objective type PvP is fun. Well thats wrong. This can be implemented easily, and it would only be AN OPTION. The masses would decide what they want to do.

Lets say Codex gets opened up for deathmatch. One team loses and spawns at the GY, the winning team camps the vault. Change the map settings so that if the entire losing team stands on a platform for 30 seconds everyone at the vault gets obliterated. Camping problem solved.

People dont understand that on a computer, you can program....... ANYTHING.

Take this idea of deathmatch and come up with all the negatives about it. Then think of ways to counter the negatives to make it fun and enjoyable. Mindless killing is fun, a 5 minte slaughter fest is fun. Change the respawn timer to 5 seconds. Change the respawn location around the map so its different to prevent spawn camping. Make the maps smaller. Make new maps with out objectives, but interactable environment. The spirit of the idea is SOUND, the implementation and details are debateable.

Seriously, why are so many people against incorporating an IDEA, an OPTION. You dont have to do it. And if 90% of the people do the deathmatch instead of the CTF, then youre in the minority here bud. Todays world is majority wins. Yes DM would get old, but thats why you leave in CTF/BG/Codex. Call of Duty is a good analogy. TDM is the most popular match. But people are still playing CTF/Sabo/whatever. Those modes are not dead, just less populated at a given time.

Face it, this games PvP is stale and out dated. 4 Warfronts. Thats it. BORING. We need new ideas, we need innovation. Has Deathmatch been implemented before in an MMO? Nope, Rift is the PERFECT place for this to happen. Show the world that MMO+Deathmatch can work, there is a community for it and it can breath life into a stale and dreadfull system.
    Last edited by MeganW; 03-16-2011 at 11:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Oragog View Post
    Yes. You have to have an objective and/or limited resources in order to make it work from a game design point of view. Let's say making it multiple rounds that last till one team is dead, but oh wait that's arena. You still have not addressed the biggest problem with team death match, forcing people out of a camping spot. This isn't a FPS where a single headshot can kill someone to balance staying in one place where people know where you are.
    No you dont have to have objectives. Use your imagination, anything is possible. You are brain washed into thinking any innovation cant possibly work because it hasnt been done in the past. Think outside the box, color outside the lines. It can work. Add mechanics to prevent spawn camping, insta deaths for staying put too long, different spawn locations, teleport random members of the group around the map effectively splitting the group up for camping too long, camping in one spot spawns power modifiers close to the losers base. I could spit ball a list of ideas all day long to solve the camping problem. What other problems you forsee happening? For every one problem you have I can come up with 20 solutions. Not all good, but you only need 1.

Back in the day, (T)DM used to be the only way to play FPS but that mode gets boring pretty quick. There is a reason for that. There is no purpose behind the fighting, nothing to force the conflict to happen. If anything DM promotes run and hide gameplay more than anything since the only measure of success is kill counts. While with control point for example, someone will stay at a losing fight trying to disrupt/delay the other team waiting for reinforcements. It promotes conflict. It's why mods like Team Fortress and Counterstrike showed up and became so popular, they provided OBJECTIVES outside of twitch killing.
    Yes, they provide objectives outside only killing. Mindless killing gets boring. Objectives get boring. It all gets boring. But what doesnt get boring is interchanging between modes. Mindless killing boring, so I go CTF. CTF gets boring I go protect a base. Protecting the base is boring I go PvPvE. Thats boring now its back to mindless killing. More options is the solution to boredom. Again, look at CoD. TDM is the most popularly played mode at any given time of day. The other modes are still being played, and once youre done TDMing you can go CTF. No one is taking anything AWAY, we are merely asking for more to be ADDED to the table. How could this possibly be bad in this already stale game?

Yes it would break things. It would be mind numbingly boring. What you want is RvR, that would be PvP where you would not be forced to participate in and the objectives you don't really have to worry about. Only the raid leader would, and you could follow mindless commands to go here kill everything.
    RvR would be awesome, but as already stated it removes any and all resembalance of balance. Instanced TDM at the very least balances the amount of people on each team. Again, what is so wrong with this? Why is adding more to a game whose only options are CTF/Fang/Codex/PvPvE such a bad idea? Not to mention, what games have you designed lately to make you such an expert on why this would kill Rift and cause trion to go bankrupt? Your inability to think objectively makes me think you probably designed Barbies Playhouse of Fun and now think your gods gift to game design. Maybe you were great for the 3-9 age bracket, but this here is adult land. Go ahead and step on out of this thread and let us adults talk mmmkay?
    Last edited by MeganW; 03-16-2011 at 11:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shanst View Post

>.< You really would want to destroy a good idea because your scared it is THIS MUCH BETTER than what you like? Really? Can you really be this selfish? And you try to accuse OTHERS of being selfish???? REALLY??!

Hell yes put it in the game. I might not play it, but just to piss off Shanst. Never before have I seen someone destroy thier own side of an argument as thoroughly as you just did Shanst. No matter what else is said...you've just smeared your entire side of this thread with fail.
    Last edited by CericX; 03-16-2011 at 11:33 AM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast