+ Reply to Thread

Thread: PvP: A Blight?

Default PvP: A Blight?

Years of gaming and I spent much of it thinking of myself as a hardcore PvP'er that could barely withstand the idea of doing PvE content. This also includes the multiplayer portions of many games(non-MMO related) where I often just ran through the story with little care for achievements or bragging rights beyond uncovering the tale itself.

My how things begin to change so fast. I've gone from a competitive-gaming junkie to someone who has begun to appreciate the finer and more peaceful(less stressful) aspects a game has to offer. I find that fierce competition, often personal, can lead one to hating their beloved hobby and leaving a bitter taste in one's mouth for the entire affair.

This idea began to formulate with a certain other MMO. It went from a robust, interesting, and dynamic world filled with great PvP moments to nothing more than controlled, arena-sized environments. Where suddenly the given limitations and capabilities of our classes/builds became glaringly obvious. World PvP destroyed as those of us who preferred to avoid the arenas found themselves out-geared rapidly and merely cannon fodder at best.

So, I did what I knew better than to do - I delved into the arenas to try and save my beloved pass-time. Not too long after, I quit the game and haven't looked back since. The entire experience killed any enjoyment I had and made me realize the other flaws with their chosen system should I had cared to do anything else beyond PvP.

From there any game with an "arena-esque" uber-personal approach to a player vs. player environment turned me off severely. Shockingly, that's most big titles these days. It would seem our societies are becoming obsessed with meritless forms of competition and less interested in exploration, companionship, and creativity within their entertainment.

I am moving to a PvE-RP server to try and keep my experience sane and enjoyable. Began on a PvP-RP shard before coming to my senses, thankfully. I refuse to delve into the insanity that is PvP and kill my love for yet another title. Granted, that doesn't necessarily mean PvE is safe as often balancing between PvP and PvE screws up the entire game and the enjoyment of it. It also spreads out resources where as what they could have accomplished with focusing on one aspect would've done oh-so much more.

In all honesty, despite all these years of obsession I am ready to see PvP die off. I'd rather get player housing, guild halls, more collectibles, more endgame PvE content, mini-games. Anyone else beginning to feel the same as me or am I alone in these desires? Is anyone else fed up with the l33t speak and the trolls that PvP seems to attract in droves? Is anyone else sick and tired of seeing the PvE aspect of their chosen MMO titles ruined by the compulsive, vile need of the hordes to murder each others pixels in pathetic, glorious digital combat?

Better yet, where is the sanity? When did a genre based heavily on playing out the experiences and triumphs of a created and imagined character suddenly often find itself in similar realms as titles like Call of Duty? I implore the people of Rift, to carefully consider what they ask for pertaining to the PvP aspect of this game, lest you turn it into another train wreck that has no real identity or heart. Such as much of us have escaped here to rid ourselves of in the first place.

Rift Disciple

Or don't follow the wow path of pseudo pvp.. and steal from let's say a game like daoc and still have an active pvp player base after 10 years (+ win an award of the decade for best pvp).

Steal from the best and incorporate in your own game. (afterall that's what this game has done for the PvE parts.. quest system a la wow, public quests from WH, ... and it has worked for them)

At the moment, pve-wise RIFT is pretty nice.. but for PvP it's quite lacking.. warfronts are only good if you only have 20-30 minutes to burn and want some insta action.

Quote Originally Posted by Docmandu View Post
    Or don't follow the wow path of pseudo pvp.. and steal from let's say a game like daoc and still have an active pvp player base after 10 years (+ win an award of the decade for best pvp).

Steal from the best and incorporate in your own game. (afterall that's what this game has done for the PvE parts.. quest system a la wow, public quests from WH, ... and it has worked for them)

At the moment, pve-wise RIFT is pretty nice.. but for PvP it's quite lacking.. warfronts are only good if you only have 20-30 minutes to burn and want some insta action.
    Any evolution in PvP within the game should remain heavily focused around group combat and never brought down to a small scale like arenas. IF arenas are implemented then there will be people picking and ripping apart given classes/builds due to their now more obvious strengths and weaknesses within the more limited PvP grounds.

As soon as I see arenas implemented, I'm basically just going to sit back and wait for the next big thing. I'm not playing into that routine again just to see this game dissolve into a joke like the last. Because I kid you not, it seems like the more focused and invested in arenas they became - the more the game became boring and less inventive. Namely in the form of class vs. class as they homogenized everything to a point where you felt like at times you were playing re-skinned versions of other classes.

You also had virtually no flexibility to speak of in build, therefore, bye-bye any hint of creativity to be had.
    Last edited by Kremie; 03-05-2011 at 03:58 AM.

+ Reply to Thread