+ Reply to Thread

Thread: You're SUPPOSED to See OP Builds

Default You're SUPPOSED to See OP Builds

The way Rift has created its soul system with multiple roles has allowed the player to easily and cheaply create a counter build for the FotM builds you will see.

The Dynamic Content Lead (Will Cook) likened the current soul system with regards to PvP to MechWarrior, where you would PvP for 20 mins and then spend an hour rebuilding your Mech to make it better. If you are getting owned in PvP by a particular build, try approaching it from that standpoint and build a counter to it.

That's their form of balance and so far I think it's working pretty well.

Give it a try.

http://rift.incgamers.com/exclusive-...ons-will-cook/

(8:34 in specifically)
    Last edited by Kruunch; 03-04-2011 at 11:05 AM.

Definitely

Everything's pretty good so far with balance if you know wtf you're doing or you adapt to how other people play. I know some people only like one playstyle and things like that, but...this game isn't for you if you only want to make a character like all your other characters and never change souls/specs. As a rogue I can use the base 3 souls, never get extra souls and have 3 different jobs in combat...

A few tweaks may need to be made, but people complain and complain and complain...just shut up and DO something about it...if stuff is that crazy then they will change it...people act like they're the only ones arguing certain points.
    Proud Geek Squad CIA
    XboxLive:VameqFytr
    PSN ID:Vameq
    Blood Pact

Plane Touched

If that's their actual policy I predict this game's imminent demise.

Champion of Telara

The problem is that all classes have their limits.

Just to take an extreme example, a level 10 is never going to be able to beat a level 50 because of the different limits between them, no matter how the level 10 specs.

And in terms of power/balance, it's the same kind of deal although obviously not so extreme.

I played DAOC and as a caster a scout/hunter type could near 1 shot me, and with the poison arrow bows that came with TOA they could finish me off without a quick heal coming for me. But then other classes would do the same thing back, so it was balanced out in a different way.

Quote Originally Posted by perlfreak View Post
    The problem is that all classes have their limits.

Just to take an extreme example, a level 10 is never going to be able to beat a level 50 because of the different limits between them, no matter how the level 10 specs.

And in terms of power/balance, it's the same kind of deal although obviously not so extreme.

I played DAOC and as a caster a scout/hunter type could near 1 shot me, and with the poison arrow bows that came with TOA they could finish me off without a quick heal coming for me. But then other classes would do the same thing back, so it was balanced out in a different way.
    But in DAoC you couldn't change your nuker to a support Healer/CCer on the fly to counter in the next match.

Here you can.

If that Sab is tearing you apart, change to something that can heal or dispel or is too tough to get blown up in one shot.

If that Warrior keeps shrugging off your nukes and violates you with that big two-hander, go Necro/Dom and laugh at him while he collects nuts on the ground.

That's the beauty of their system. You can make your changes MUCH more responsively then you could in other MMOs.

Remember, you're an ascended soul with access to many lifetimes worth of talents. Use them.

If you prefer not to .... then the Guardian/Defiant conflict is not for you.

Nature abhors a vacuum.

RIFT Guide Writer Kutsuu Isback's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kruunch View Post
    But in DAoC you couldn't change your nuker to a support Healer/CCer on the fly to counter in the next match.

Here you can.

If that Sab is tearing you apart, change to something that can heal or dispel or is too tough to get blown up in one shot.

If that Warrior keeps shrugging off your nukes and violates you with that big two-hander, go Necro/Dom and laugh at him while he collects nuts on the ground.

That's the beauty of their system. You can make your changes MUCH more responsively then you could in other MMOs.

Remember, you're an ascended soul with access to many lifetimes worth of talents. Use them.

Nature abhors a vacuum.

Nooo!!!! I came here to whine about how my specific build fails against another specific build that counters it, but you dried my tears with basic logic. WTF now I need to go find something else to cry about.

Seriously though... This guy speaks truth. There are counters to every build and you can run with up to 4 specs you can change on the fly. Come up with counters to your 2 most hated for PVP, then still have slots for PVE builds.
    http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii144/sparks03max/kutsmuffinsig.png

Quote Originally Posted by Kutsuu Isback View Post
    Nooo!!!! I came here to whine about how my specific build fails against another specific build that counters it, but you dried my tears with basic logic. WTF now I need to go find something else to cry about.

Seriously though... This guy speaks truth. There are counters to every build and you can run with up to 4 specs you can change on the fly. Come up with counters to your 2 most hated for PVP, then still have slots for PVE builds.
    Its nice to see Kutsuu is here playing rift, I just wish you were on my server
    Reflex - Cleric
    Prank - Mage
    Uck - Rogue

Quote Originally Posted by Drakedog
    how does a french PvP server work?.... do you all just take turns surrendering?

Champion of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Kruunch View Post

Here you can.

Nature abhors a vacuum.
    That's all well and good, but you completely bypassed the point of what I was saying. I've switched roles midfight when I get out of combat at times. Especially in that capture the flag warfront, I end up switching to bard alot when we get the flag to give support.

Those things are great and is a large part of my enthusiasm for the game.

However, that doesn't mean a certain combination isn't overpowered and so on. And the worse part about things being overpowered isn't so much the single person, it's when everyone starts picking up those things. You start getting more and more of them, and that's exactly what we are seeing in game, especially with rift blades.

They often do the most damage in a warfront, they have the best armor(most of them even run with a sheild like a defensive tank), and they have ranged, oh and they have CC too. Where is the supposed weakness? They can be crowd controlled you say - but that is the same for every class. That's not a class weakness, that's a constant.

You can't defend it and you can't spin it no matter how much try.

Shadowlander

This System could work if you get an advantage over some souls depending on the soul you pick. If it means total domination over another soul depending on the one you pick it will not work. Nobody wants to get owned by the worst player of the world because they used the right soul against you.

Shadowlander

The only mention he made in PvP is that the many soul choices reminds him of a 'mech game' that you would fight someone, then spend hours changing your character to counter them. This man is a dynamic content developer, he has nothing to do with class balance or PvP.
    Last edited by Laci; 03-05-2011 at 03:36 AM.

+ Reply to Thread