+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Why Are People Against Arena?

Telaran

Default Why Are People Against Arena?

So I was reading through the forums, and it is obvious that there are a lot of people voicing their opinions against implementing an arena system, or any sort of ranking system or stat tracker for that matter. My question is why?

1st off, I have read several people say that it ruined MMOs forever? Really? How?

Did it ruin world PvP? Maybe, but in the way the car ruined the horse...the Arena system is a controlled environment provided to test skills against other players and earn bragging rights. It sucks trying to organize that in world PvP, and getting rolled by a zerg or something else to that effect, when Arena came out, it was a more fun environment to PvP in, with less grief and stress.

Essentially the argument I hear is that Arena was so fun that it took everyone away from world PvP, and people want there to be no Arena so that the people who enjoyed the latter will be forced to entertain you in the open world? If Arena is truly capable of ruining world PvP, then those who are against Arena are clearly in the minority of how they would rather spend their time playing this game.

If you don't like Arena, don't play it, people aren't screaming for rewards, they just want a controlled environment to compete in, preferably that tracks stats. If the RIFT community is truly against having an Arena system, then wouldn't world PvP live on just fine? The general argument is flawed, nobody is forcing anyone to Arena.

Or, (I can't believe nobody thought of this) make shards that are non-Arena. You would have your open world PvP untainted, and if thats your thing, go for it.

Side Note - I hear a lot of people talking about how they don't want "WoW kiddies" or "that crowd" playing their game. Well I hate to break it to you, but about 90% of the people I have met in RIFT have played WoW. The fact of the matter is, WoW was a great game, and it popularized MMOs in a global way that no other game has done. Many years later...its getting old, and it's players are interested in trying a new game...get over it.

Another argument that is being voiced around the forums is they don't want to have to change the balance of the classes.

Ok, this makes no sense to me, so you enjoy playing warfronts being absolutely rolled by / carried (depending on how many OP classes are on your team) by these classes but the second that anyone tracks stats it becomes an issue?

Secondly, and more importantly, people aren't asking for the game to be changed, I'm sure that people will complain if they feel their class is getting the short end of the stick, but people WANT a NEW game with NEW classes, if it's not perfectly balanced for or catered around PvP, oh well, thats not what anyone is asking for.

Don't change the classes unless you want to, or add all PvP trees, there doesn't have to be a complete change in the basics of the game to have Arena, this isn't a perfectly balanced game, I'm over it. And look at the forums, people are already complaining...there are tons of threads from people complaining about balance, thats not some new phenomenon that came with WoW and Arenas, people were complaining in DAOC and even EQ.

I played Arena in the early stages of WoW and it was the most fun I have ever had playing any video game. I was a gladiator in season 2 on BG9 in the 5v5 bracket. WoW has changed since then, and I would like to play something new. I am sure a lot of people feel the same way I do, and thats why they came to RIFT. If you don't like arena, thats fine, nobody is going to make you play, how would a voluntary system like that take away from your experience?

If RIFT has no endgame PvP system with rankings to promote competition, it will essentially be pointless in the eyes of many players. I have absolutely no desire to go gank people in some random zone, even if the reward was ridiculous. I also have to desire to Q as a 5 man for warfronts and try to carry noobs to victory or roll some pathetic guardian team. I want competition, if the game is not challenging, it is not interesting.

Obviously my views are that of my own, however there are many many people who agree with me on this issue.

The idea of ignoring a massive group of players dying for some sort of meaningful PvP would be ENRON irresponsible to anyone invested in RIFT, and I hope that this game ends up being more than rolling the same noobs complaining about Arena in the open world for a month before quitting.

Because the only people who enjoyed arena were 1600+ players, which was the top 35% of world of warcraft.

That leaves 65% behind, hating the idea because they never could pass 1600.
    Last edited by Chase Payne; 03-04-2011 at 07:09 AM.
    Warriors listen to this while they play PvP:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kgjkth6BRRY

Shadowlander

i'll be honest i didn't read all of this wall of txt but imo the more things that take people away from open world pvp the more i dislike a game.
    again just my opinion

I was going to add my input.. but I honestly don't want to read that wall of text.
    http://forums.riftgame.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=41045&dateline=129849  3510
    www.FriendlyFireGaming.net - Home of the Saga clan. Established in 2003

Because arena caters to class combos and op groupings in a sandbox enviroment for exceptional rewards in game. You want arena, freeforall random, Player zone in pvp, thats arena. Not much else qualifies.

No arena.

Quote Originally Posted by kaiaphas View Post
    Because arena caters to class combos and op groupings in a sandbox enviroment for exceptional rewards in game. You want arena, freeforall random, Player zone in pvp, thats arena. Not much else qualifies.

No arena.
    Because Raids and Warfront Premades don't suffer from the same problem.
    Last edited by Chase Payne; 03-04-2011 at 07:14 AM.

Shadowlander

Ranked Warfronts would be fine if they do not provide any gear advantage. Make a ranked ladder and compete for titles or cosmetic items only, like special mounts. I think most people would be fine with that.

Shadowlander

if it were down to me there would be no warfronts either >

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Cova View Post
    i'll be honest i didn't read all of this wall of txt but imo the more things that take people away from open world pvp the more i dislike a game.
    again just my opinion
    Make shards without Arena then for people like you (obviously the minority since Arena takes the vast majority of people away from world PvP apparently)

You bring up extremely valid points. I also enjoyed arenas immensely, but have grown indifferent with where the devs took the game. I don't think an arena bracket is completely out of the question for Rift, but I wouldnt expect it before the class balancing hits.
    Reflex - Cleric
    Prank - Mage
    Uck - Rogue

Quote Originally Posted by Drakedog
    how does a french PvP server work?.... do you all just take turns surrendering?

Shadowlander

when it offers ridiculous rewards yes it does

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Cova View Post
    if it were down to me there would be no warfronts either >
    Competitive PvPers don't like warfronts, as they are a grind and not a form of competitive PvP, so sure, get rid of those timesinks. IDC

Telaran

I agree with the OP for the following reasons.

1. After we grind all epic pvp gear, what do we do next, if there is no stat tracking or rating system do we just keep playing bg's with diminishing returns.

2. I played arena before it even had a ratings in world of warcraft because I enjoy small scale pvp. In large groups cc becomes less important(although it helps) its all about zerging something down.

The amount of communication required to be successful as a small team is what makes it fun,I understand some players won't like this style of play and that's fine no one is forcing you to play.

I don't even care about special arena rewards, just a stat tracking system, just something extra to do at end game.

Quote Originally Posted by Braves View Post
    You bring up extremely valid points. I also enjoyed arenas immensely, but have grown indifferent with where the devs took the game. I don't think an arena bracket is completely out of the question for Rift, but I wouldnt expect it before the class balancing hits.
    I don't support arena in this game, EVER. This is coming from a 2.2k player (yes I'm aware you're a gladiator)

And I will say only because I hate small scale PvP, I noticed how challenging rated battlegrounds were. You had splitting, chain CC, dispels, mana drains in large scale... huge peels etc.

A lot of the matches in 3v3 arena you had no shot of completing, like PMR vs TSG in season 8. It's much less visible in something like a rated warfront.

I'd like to see a rated warfront/GvG more than arena, but with no best rewards... just vanity.

Rift Disciple

because i dont see how arena fits into the whole MASSIVELY multiplayer ethos. I want epic battles not minor skirmishes.
    Because in wow it became the be all and end all of pvp, despite the fact that only certain setups were viable.

Sure introduce arena if you must but offer no rewards for it. If people really think its so much fun (haha yeah right) they'll still play it and it wont detract from the other forms of pvp as it did in wow.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast