+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Looking for a Mentor

Soulwalker

Default Looking for a Mentor

Short and sweet of it, I'm looking for an experienced, competent to teach me the ropes. I'm bored to death with the pve style and about to give up on mmos. I'm older (actually I'm early retired) and I have a lot of time to give to the effort. The person who introduced me to gaming was a 40 something VP at a large company I was a director at. He and his crew (all aged 30 to 60) ruled the "combat" games. I never got into those, but I love the mmo format. Hoping I can find a genuine warrior (as in full strategic pvp player) to bring me up to speed. I'm fully capable in VoIP and multi-key manipulation and I'm familiar with programming and macros if that helps.

I think there is only one answer to this...

1. Jump in on a PvP server and do some warfronts. Don't worry about "svcking"...just hop into the fire and get the feel for it.

2. Observe the guilds that you see in warfronts that seem to be pretty good at it. Pay attention to the players and guildnames.

3. Apply to the guild that you think has the chops to teach you what you want to learn.

That's what I did when I first started MMO's, and was lucky enough to hook up with the very best PvPers, who were also very mature...pretty much everyone was over 30.

That's important. Older players should try to find older players....it just works better for camaraderie, and common ground...and having "true peers" that you work well with and can drag you along the learning curve.

Don't be upset if the guild you chose turns out to be the wrong fit....if it is...just rinse and repeat until you find a good home in a skilled and mature PvP guild.

Be wary of the so-called "hardcore" large guilds. A smaller PvP oriented guild would be better...it;s like a classroom...more students is not better education jsut because it's more. A smaller guild would probably offer more for your situation.

Good luck.
    Otherwise known as Morganlefae

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Vihar View Post
    I think there is only one answer to this...

1. Jump in on a PvP server and do some warfronts. Don't worry about "svcking"...just hop into the fire and get the feel for it.

2. Observe the guilds that you see in warfronts that seem to be pretty good at it. Pay attention to the players and guildnames.

3. Apply to the guild that you think has the chops to teach you what you want to learn.

That's what I did when I first started MMO's, and was lucky enough to hook up with the very best PvPers, who were also very mature...pretty much everyone was over 30.

That's important. Older players should try to find older players....it just works better for camaraderie, and common ground...and having "true peers" that you work well with and can drag you along the learning curve.

Don't be upset if the guild you chose turns out to be the wrong fit....if it is...just rinse and repeat until you find a good home in a skilled and mature PvP guild.

Be wary of the so-called "hardcore" large guilds. A smaller PvP oriented guild would be better...it;s like a classroom...more students is not better education jsut because it's more. A smaller guild would probably offer more for your situation.

Good luck.
    Thank-you very much Vihar! I agree with everything you said. I might only add one further request or follow up. As a traditional healer support character in mmos, what soul combination might you recommend for survivability and max support in the pvp world?

Quote Originally Posted by Crankcase View Post
    Thank-you very much Vihar! I agree with everything you said. I might only add one further request or follow up. As a traditional healer support character in mmos, what soul combination might you recommend for survivability and max support in the pvp world?
    Sentinel, and either Warden or Purifier..either will do.

Be sure to take Inquisitor as one of your first 3 souls, though. You'll need it for grinding and questing. Just make a second build for your PvP with the Sentinel/other soul.

If you're a pure healer, you will be well loved...especially if you roll Defiant.
    Otherwise known as Morganlefae

+ Reply to Thread