+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Need a better way to ID roles

Default Need a better way to ID roles

I don't know about anyone else, but in a WF, I have a very hard time in identifying what roles your allies are doing. Yes, I know their names in the raid panel are colour-coded to identify tank/rdps/mdps/support/healer, but the reality is that in a warfront with a bunch of players you havn't seen before, remembering who is doing what is a bit tricky...

Then to top it off - for those (like me) who have problems with blurry names over peoples heads - I can't read the names unless I'm stood right next to them to know anyway!

Given that in PVP, good play is a result of knowing peoples roles - and as such what they are likely to do in certain situations and what they need help with... Not having it just leads to bad play overall and a messy free-for-all with nobody supporting anyone else and everyone just trying to play as if solo.

Please Please, put in a way to identify allies roles (and maybe enemies?) clearly and easily in the field. Maybe a colour-coded icon over their heads or something? But please not text because it's too damn blurry most of the time.

Coming from WAR, I'm used to knowing everyone's classes (and therefore roles) just by their appearance. I can't see any way how this would be a bad thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Lemmy View Post
    I don't know about anyone else, but in a WF, I have a very hard time in identifying what roles your allies are doing. Yes, I know their names in the raid panel are colour-coded to identify tank/rdps/mdps/support/healer, but the reality is that in a warfront with a bunch of players you havn't seen before, remembering who is doing what is a bit tricky...

Then to top it off - for those (like me) who have problems with blurry names over peoples heads - I can't read the names unless I'm stood right next to them to know anyway!

Given that in PVP, good play is a result of knowing peoples roles - and as such what they are likely to do in certain situations and what they need help with... Not having it just leads to bad play overall and a messy free-for-all with nobody supporting anyone else and everyone just trying to play as if solo.

Please Please, put in a way to identify allies roles (and maybe enemies?) clearly and easily in the field. Maybe a colour-coded icon over their heads or something? But please not text because it's too damn blurry most of the time.

Coming from WAR, I'm used to knowing everyone's classes (and therefore roles) just by their appearance. I can't see any way how this would be a bad thing.
    Are you sure the color codes are for roles? I thought they were for classes...
    The red for Warriors, Green for Clerics, Yellow for Rogues and Purple for Mages. Don't see much purple though.

I might be wrong though.
    I don't like mean people, rude people and people who are not nice.

Herp Derp : 1. An expression used when you yourself, has done somthing extremely stupid and dopey. 2. A phrase said by idiotic morons who think they are cooler then they actually are. *Dictionary definition

Rift Chaser

They changed it to be roles, but I'm not sure how it determines your role to be honest.

It should be a flag that the player sets themselves.

Why are youe ven looking at their names on field anyway? That's what raid frames are for. Blue means they've put most points in healing soul, yellow means they have most points in dps souls, organge means they are tank specced and purple means they are support.
    What else exactly do you want to know? A huge floating icons above their heads saying what they are?

As for enemy targets - check their buffs, pretty easy to figure out what they are.
    Veyni - Cleric - Defiant@Firesand-EU

Quote Originally Posted by Keevaa View Post
    Why are youe ven looking at their names on field anyway?
    Because if you're hurt and dotted and need a heal, looking at the raid frames doesn't tell you where he is on the field. Are you in range of him? Are you in his LoS? Currently you need to look at the raid-frames to get the healers names - then look for them on the field - Impossible with blurry names. Same token if you're a healer and looking for someone to peel for you (or later on guard)

If you have 2 enemies closing in on a cleric, Do you snare/root them to help the cleric get away? Or is the cleric tank-spec and wanting them to waste their time beating on him? You need to know quickly so you can react correctly to the situation.

As a healer, you see a rogue get pulled into the middle of the enemy. Do you skip healing on him (lost cause) instead healing those who will live? Or is he tank-specced and therefore able to keep the opposition occupied for some time if he gets healed?

Lack of perception/understanding of what is going on in the field is one of the main reasons CC gets spammed mindlessley rather than being used where it would be useful. I can root people.. Who should I root? Idk, they look like melee toons but they may be rdps.. may as well just use it...

Knowing yours and your enemies roles WILL promote better, more tactical play.

Quote Originally Posted by Keevaa View Post
    As for enemy targets - check their buffs, pretty easy to figure out what they are.
    No time to target through all the enemies involved, read their buffs to understand the situation. If 3 mdps are rushing towards your mage, you need to instantly know they are mdps and can then decide to root them. By the time you've targetted them all to check, that friendly mage is probably dead.
    Last edited by Lemmy; 03-03-2011 at 04:43 AM.

+ Reply to Thread