+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Vihar

Thread: Defiant can win Codex without taking Codex

Default Defiant can win Codex without taking Codex

.......apparently.

Never actually seen it happen.

I think it's a guardian trick that made all Defiant think they are strategic Napoleons.

It's a very bad and contagious debuff on our entire race.

So...for all the budding young Napoleons out there....here is why you CAN'T win without Codex....

1. You cannot defend 3 different flags in 3 corners of the map.

2. See #1

Sure, mathematically and theoretically you can win taking the outer flags.....but only if the Guardians decide to have a picnic at Codex and not bother with anything else.

But.....I keep getting told its a great plan to not take Codex.

So.....next time....hey Guardians...can I join you for the picnic? I promise I won't AOE you.....well.......unless there's ants.
    Otherwise known as Morganlefae

Shadowlander

I thought the guy was crazy when he suggested it last night but it worked. Granted it had to been a craptastic pug but it still worked lol.

I could see it also working doing this off the jump at times, would catch the opposite side off guard, and in turn take Codex as well. Would still have to be a fairly "touched" group of Guardians to take the bait get and WTFPWND lol.
    Last edited by Hrunting; 03-02-2011 at 04:40 PM.

Shadowlander

The problem with trying to take three, is that the point near the opposing teams graveyard is in a crosshair with the guys who swarmed the codex and the respawns from the graveyard. You'll be trying to fight off respawns, and then have more come from codex. And your gy is very far away.

Only if you can dominate them are you going to hold the point near their graveyard. And if you can do that, why didn't you get codex?

Default It could work....

Ok here's the plan:

3 groups, right? Grab the telescope, the vault and Thontic. Defend those with your life. Send a smart group of skilled players to keep the whole Guardian team busy at Codex.

Team Thontic picks off rezzing Guardians.

or we could just take codex.

Telaran

I've seen this working for the guardian side in my "battlegroup". The Defiants swarmed Codex with like 10 people and a minute or two into the match we had the three other flags with heavy fighting continuing at Codex. Once they got onto this we were ahead by around 150-200 points.

It's not a plan for the entire battle unless your opponents are really awesomely stupid (granted that does seem to happen once in a while). But it's usable to get ahead on points which forces the other side to be aggressive which can open up for followup plans.
    "The promise of a friend is to stand by you when you're wrong. When you're right practically anyone will stand by you."

I don't see any viable strategy working regularly that doesn't include taking the codex. really if you go that route you have zero margin for error, because as I understand it the Codex +1 the whole game equals victory.

With that said a good group could probably pull off a Codex trap. We used to do this in Arathi Basin all the time and also in WAR and Fury.

In this case it would mean having 1 or 2 pick off the base closest to your spawn, while the rest of the team heads to the spot closest to your enemies spawn. Take that, and then fight the enemy as they rez while also having a small contingent head to the codex.

if you time it right and have good players you should be able to pin in the enemy and win quickly. if it doesn't work, back to a standard strategy.
    Mnemon
    Cleric - Level 30
    Northern Kings - Briarcliff
    www.nkings.com

Help put an end to Wow PvP Syndrome!

Soulwalker

Yeah we had someone screaming about this strategy in a codex fight I was in last night. The thing is it seems its just as hard to hold 3 points as it is to take codex. And you have to hold all 3 for the majority of the time for this to work.

I'm not convinced this is viable over a codex/scope strategy but I would give it a shot.

Quote Originally Posted by Lamon80 View Post
    Yeah we had someone screaming about this strategy in a codex fight I was in last night. The thing is it seems its just as hard to hold 3 points as it is to take codex. And you have to hold all 3 for the majority of the time for this to work.

I'm not convinced this is viable over a codex/scope strategy but I would give it a shot.
    I may have been in the same group as that genious.

The thing is, it seemed to be every 3rd group or so had one of these in it.

I think it's the ones that are afraid of getting pwned....so they avoid the tough fight and then get to say "I never die in Codex, I'm THAT good!"

But that's just my own cynicism, maybe.
    Last edited by Vihar; 03-03-2011 at 11:37 AM.
    Otherwise known as Morganlefae

+ Reply to Thread