+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Future of PVP in RIFT

Soulwalker

Default Future of PVP in RIFT

I was just wondering about the plans for PVP in the near future.
    At this point we have a couple of WFs at lvl50 and some world PVP which doesnt really give anything in return other than satisfaction of getting that kill.
    Since a lot of people calling this game either "WOW clone" or I personally call it "WOWHammer" which is not a bad thing I must say, I would assume that the devs must be planning on something similar like arenas and/or zone controls or may be even something similar to keep sieges and stuff like that.

In other words, for those people who like to PVP more than PVE, what can they expect?
    Is there anything in the works that may be implemented in the future patches?
    Will the developers be looking at the feedback from players as to what WE would like to see or change in regards to PVP?

P.S. plz dont turn this thread into WOW vs RIFT discussion, there is always the General chat for that

Im not far from 50th yet and im hoping they would introduce castles for guilds and so on as this would alsmost certainly promote cross continent pvp

Plane Touched

I hope for some world pvp improvements, like orvr zones without mobs, sieges, dunno, just anything but arenas. Arenas sucked. Some objective based rvr like warhammer could be fun for a while.

I would hope they implement more world PvP. I cannot stand arena as it detracts away from the core of the game and essentially becomes a meta-game. World PvP incentives must be worth it though. 5%+ EXP bonus for holding 3 towers in a zone is just not worth it. I'd suggest things like gear, titles (everyone loves rare and unique titles), perhaps taking over an enemy city gives you access to quests that are worth fighting over.

I know Warhammer devs once said "we didn't think people needed incentive to pvp in a pvp based game" but the reality is, most do. Even Eve-Online has incentives. Control, resources, and the ultimate pvp objective..full loot. While I'm not saying Rift needs perma-death and full loot, I'm saying it wouldn't hurt to add some lesser (but still quality) objectives for pvp.

Soulwalker

http://rift.incgamers.com/exclusive-...ons-will-cook/

Will Cook, said in this interview, that they'd do what the "people want". Hopefully, enough people will voice their want for some type of siege-based pvp ala Warhammer or even better, Dark Age of Camelot. I'd be customer for life if implemented right.

Soulwalker

Default Castles!!!!

'siege-based pvp ala Warhammer or even better, Dark Age of Camelot. I'd be customer for life if implemented right.
    Yes! Yes! Yes!!
    Spent 2.5 years playing DAoC because of one reason, CASTLES!! Well, the 'real' pvp server also was a nice distraction but I would renew for 24 months right now if you let my guild take over and run a castle!

Please! Please! Please! All I want to do is come home from work and throw a BBQ in my castle with my guildmates and have a bunch of uninvited Defiant show up and use them as the meat ;)
    I know, I have strange fantasies...

Quote Originally Posted by JokingJ3ckl3r View Post
    http://rift.incgamers.com/exclusive-...ons-will-cook/

Will Cook, said in this interview, that they'd do what the "people want". Hopefully, enough people will voice their want for some type of siege-based pvp ala Warhammer or even better, Dark Age of Camelot. I'd be customer for life if implemented right.
    Oh, I'd definitely vote for siege based pvp. Of course that'd be a long term goal, I was suggesting shorter ones. But yes, if they managed to implement a successful siege based pvp mechanism (I recommend taking a long, hard look at Shadowbane) I think the game would be amazing.

Soulwalker

If they do something equivalent to WoW arenas they are going to be TERRIBLE. Their is no possible way to balance this game for small scale PvP because the talent specializations are too complex and differentiated. There's always going to be some (class, combo, team, etc) that will be overpowered or broken for PvP. Guaranteed. For the most part, this kind of imbalance already happens in WoW and Blizzard exercises a much greater amount of control over talent trees and what you can do with them (must spend 31 pts in one tree, must have talents, etc.)

Therefore, they need to instead push their innovations in end game content towards some kind of dynamic large scale battle or group PvP.

Banned

first step is fixing the world pvp and the gray player tagging.

End game world pvp is like a giant game of alterac valley in WoW. The goal is to capture enough worldstones you're able to summon a giant raid boss npc that romps their cities like godzilla. I can't wait!

Soulwalker

Future of PvP in RIFT.

Incredible imbalance between classes> warrior causing much more damage than mages at a distance> mages need to use a spell cast 5 seconds left to give the same damage as an instant skill of other classes> magicians tired of being surpassed in all aspects of the game, they quit> Some weeks after the launch wizards are extinct> without free kill rogues and warriors begin to to hunt clerics >clerics start cry at forums, they want a nerf in rogues perma stun locking and hundreds of combat reestealths >clerics quit or or reroll and disappear telara forever> warrior and rogues cannot raids / dungeons anymore> bored warriors start hunt rogues> rogues see superiority based on the skill of the OP faceroll warrior, quit or to Reroll warrior> The last surviving rogues go into permanent stealth Until The End Of Telara> The game is renamed para Rift warriors online or RIFT Warriors of Telara.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Arantyr View Post
    Future of PvP in RIFT.

Incredible imbalance between classes> warrior causing much more damage than mages at a distance> mages need to use a spell cast 5 seconds left to give the same damage as an instant skill of other classes> magicians tired of being surpassed in all aspects of the game, they quit> Some weeks after the launch wizards are extinct> without free kill rogues and warriors begin to to hunt clerics >clerics start cry at forums, they want a nerf in rogues perma stun locking and hundreds of combat reestealths >clerics quit or or reroll and disappear telara forever> warrior and rogues cannot raids / dungeons anymore> bored warriors start hunt rogues> rogues see superiority based on the skill of the OP faceroll warrior, quit or to Reroll warrior> The last surviving rogues go into permanent stealth Until The End Of Telara> The game is renamed para Rift warriors online or RIFT Warriors of Telara.

Riftblade does need toned down somewhat. Flamespear is a bit much in its current state. Other than that I don't think warriors are vastly superior to any other class. My champion can do respectable damage but has no healing/regen and I'm relatively easy to kite. Which is a fair trade off in my eyes. If your consistently being destroyed by warriors of various souls then maybe your just bad.

Quote Originally Posted by heytherebro View Post
    Riftblade does need toned down somewhat. Flamespear is a bit much in its current state. Other than that I don't think warriors are vastly superior to any other class. My champion can do respectable damage but has no healing/regen and I'm relatively easy to kite. Which is a fair trade off in my eyes. If your consistently being destroyed by warriors of various souls then maybe your just bad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arantyr View Post
    Future of PvP in RIFT.

You need to learn your souls. If you are not competing with riftblade at ranged damage with mages, you really have not chosen to spend your points wisely or you've chosen to go for a lot of cc and heals but not for damage.

While I do between ~180 and ~240 in damage per gcd at lvl 31 with one of my roles which is riftblade my friend who is mage can with instant casts and 1.5s casts top that with ease. Even his aoe ticks at more than 200 damage a tick.

So if anything, when playing with people who knows their way, riftblade needs a buff and not a nerf.

Riftblade also lacks cc counters. Riftwalk only works if he faces the target so smart players can avoid riftblade gettings out of cc.

Edit: Forgot to mention, even if you go for a lot of cc, you have 10% base crit chance and then you can get +15% crit chance from points spent for some certain spells and instant cast spells.
    Mage is weak for those who knows not how to handle it.
    Last edited by IceDread; 03-03-2011 at 12:28 AM.
    Defiant, since I trust in knowledge.
    Defiant, since religion is false.

you shouldnt have a problem with too much cc as riftblade as you shouldnt be going for max points in the riftblade tree. Champion and riftblade augment each other really nicely for pvp giving nice damage and mobility. Not to mention if you use voidknight as your 3rd soul you got some nice protection against those pesky casters.

Sieges would be awesome. Warfronts and world PvP are fun, but I love massive battles with at least 40 on each side.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast