+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Starting Dungeons

Soulwalker

Default Starting Dungeons

Hey guys, got a justicar/shaman/purifier tank character and am about to start trying to tank dungeons. Any advice for the new guy before he heads into IT?
    Last edited by Lorcrad; 02-27-2011 at 11:12 PM.

Soulwalker

I don't tank so I can say much about that directly, but after running IT a couple times today, once as a healer and once as a dps, I'd say healing aggro is pretty bad, so keep an eye on your healer.

The run I did as dps, our healer died quite a lot. The run I did as healer, I expected it, so I stood with the tank frequently. In a pack of mobs, I found I often drew aggro with the very first heal I dropped on the tank.

Soulwalker

Your tank is pretty ignorant to tanking if you're drawing heal agro. As a tank I suggest you look at your abilities and prioritize the ones that say "additional threat". My first experience in IT was as a paladin with 1x 3 mob ability that had no threat modifier. I had 1 taunt ability on a 15ish second cool down and had no problem with 3 packs of mobs. Just look at your abilities and use them appropriately. Threat is baked in very well to your abilities. I can hit mob x with 1 attack, tab target and hit mob y and mob z and when I come back to mob x with 3 dps blowing their loads on its face the mob is just starting to look away from me.

Telaran

As was said look for the abilities that do extra threat.

I tanked IT as a riftstalker all the way through without wipes in open beta. Just spam some kind of aoe and it should be enough to keep them around you.

By the way don't necessarily panic just because one mob gets away. If the group wipes from one add hitting a dps or healer a few times then tanking is not the only issue. Move the group towards it and pick it up when you get there.
    "The promise of a friend is to stand by you when you're wrong. When you're right practically anyone will stand by you."

Shadowlander

I'm starting to think about dungeons, what level should I be before I attempt the first one?

Quote Originally Posted by PerfectFlame View Post
    I'm starting to think about dungeons, what level should I be before I attempt the first one?
    I would reckon IT can be safely done at about 17 though it could be a bit before. But get some half decent gear so that it goes smoother.

Soulwalker

I would say the toughest things for most low level tanks is picking everything up. It gets easier as you level up and get more AOE tools. I am mostly pally tank and did not have anything but the cleave on a large cooldown on my first instance run. I would charge in and hit the cleave and then start with the target switching. Hit one, tab switch, hit one, tab switch, etc, use my finisher on the main target. Usually just a few hits on each would give me plenty of aggro as long as DPS was focusing down things correctly. I never had issues with healer aggro. I always keep the camera swung around to look at the healer and ranged DPS so if anything breaks free and starts heading that way I can chuck the shield at it and get it back under control.

Soulwalker

Ok guys, thanks for the tips.

As a pally tank, Make reaver your second soul and once you have judgement, you will be fine for low lvl Dungeons.

Plague Bringer+Reaver Dots=AOE Threat

Judgement from the Paladin root is an Emergency button
    Casual= Planning game around life
    Hardcore= Planning life around game

+ Reply to Thread