+ Reply to Thread

Thread: UI... Where's my target?? Where are my party members??

Default UI... Where's my target?? Where are my party members??

Putting this in the Dungeons/Raids.... as a serious discussion on the current UI.

After a couple of days, I'm wondering if anyone else is having problems keeping track of their party and raid members, from the individual player in your party, to the 10 to 20 man sized group. I'm also having troubles distinguishing enemy targets, ie which one of those 20 mobs in front of me is actually the one on my target portrait. The red arrow over the head of the target gets lost in a sea of red.

In the sea of players and NPCs out there, there's NOTHING that sets party members apart from the rest of the zerg. All the names blend in, the colors are too similar, there are no options for persistant overhead health bars for members of MY 5 MAN PARTY or raid... Party/Raid members overhead names are indistinguishable from out of party players names. Furthermore, In all seriousness, it's more often than not EXTREMELY difficult to tell WHERE the person I've targeted in the PARTY window is actually located in the game world. A different color icon on the minimap for the party member targeted would go a long way, so the player doesnt have to mouse over every single raid member on the map.

Members of your party/raid should stick out in a crowd, currently they do not.

Either give players more UI options that increase situational awareness, or allow for UI and targeting Add Ons.

Enemy target overhead health bars look exactly like my characters overhead health bar. On my melee character, when an enemy npc or player gets in very close proximity, the enemy target health bars are "overlapping" my characters overhead health bars quite often, and you cannot tell which is which.
    Last edited by Hekktor; 02-27-2011 at 11:48 AM.

Actualy, you can turn on overhead health/status bars by going to your menu, clicking settings, and looking through the list, i am quite sure its there, as i have it on myself.
    also, you can set up target of target, which will allow you to target a player, and attack through that player hitting what ever target they are on. it should be pretty simple to hit the name box in the raid window of the person you want to heal and then heal them...

i guess im just a little confused as to what it is you are having trouble with.
    Religions say that God created man in his own image; Scientists found a small monkey like creature they say is a ancestor of man.
    If religions are correct and we are created in Gods image, and science is correct and we are descended from small monkey like creatures;
    Then it stands to reason that GOD is a COSMIC MONKEY.

did you even read the thread, or just read the Cliffnotes?

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Tuckleberry Fynn View Post
    Actualy, you can turn on overhead health/status bars by going to your menu, clicking settings, and looking through the list, i am quite sure its there, as i have it on myself.
    also, you can set up target of target, which will allow you to target a player, and attack through that player hitting what ever target they are on. it should be pretty simple to hit the name box in the raid window of the person you want to heal and then heal them...

i guess im just a little confused as to what it is you are having trouble with.
    What he is asking for is not a single overhead health plate. He is asking to be able to see ALL enemy, or friendly (or both) healthplates that are within a certain range or engaged in combat.

What is currently in the game is a terrible little HUD bar that pops up over your head and your targets head that is not selectable. This is not what many players want.

We want to see the healthplate of all the mobs/players around us and to be able to target the healthplate itself because tabbing through them or trying to click on something when there is a pile of mobs and players is difficult.
    Last edited by TheRolfgar; 02-27-2011 at 08:04 PM.

Soulwalker

Default UI... Where's my target?? Where are my party members??

+1

This is currently my major UI problem in raids!

In some occasions, mostly in raids, I spend my time fighting with the UI and eventually loosing the battle instead of fully enjoying the play and fight with the intended "in-game" opponents.

As the OP says: there are too similar name plate colors ; raid or group players are sinking in the mass ; health bars are colliding; it is difficult to "click-target" what you intend to (opponent or ally), etc...

Even in an uncrowded situation, it is strangly not easy to "click" on a steady object! It looks like that "click-able" area is too small.

I recall having similar problems in some other major MMO but they do propose indeed additional UI options to work around it. I would consider options like overhead icons for group members, better name coloring or surrounding halo's around current target. This is very effective and not too intrusive esthetically.

This annoyance will not stop me playing because, overall, I find the game much enjoyable, very refreshing and well managed by TRION so far. I wish long and prosper life to RIFT!

-- Ekynox.

Shadowlander

This is the only real major shortage of Rift , I wish they enable name plates with HP on them

Completely agree. sometimes I have no idea how many mobs I am fighting at all due to crowding and seeing only two health bars.

In addition, with name on target of target being blue, it is very hard to see when mob targets someone else if their name is similar length as mine. Portrait helps, but not that much.

Soulwalker

If they made party members names different color from the rest it would be much easier. I could live without that if names were clear in the distance, but as is, as soon someone goes like 10m away names become blurred as hell if you're zoomed out to the max.

Shouldn't be hard to do...

Telaran

We all started naked, our first toy - a rock.

Just deal with what you have. The game moves too fast for you to watch all that stuff and run your character. If you know your character, know what you are supposed to do, and communicate and use target of target, you should be fine. It won't help to see all the mobs and their health status, just shoot them!!!
    " You may question my motives, but never question my orders. "

+ Reply to Thread