+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By forbiddenlake

Thread: What is that horrible noise?

Plane Touched

Default What is that horrible noise?

What is that god awful high pitched screech during the third boss fight? can you please remove that? it is thoroughly unpleasant.

Third boss fight of .........?

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by forbiddenlake View Post
    Third boss fight of .........?
    sorry that horrendous screeching must've made me lose concentration...

in Tartaric Depths.

Ral
    Rift Master

It is a bug that has been in the game since probably beta/development, but at the earliest I can remember it occurring on Alsbeth in River of Souls back in 1.2. It also happened quite regularly in Hunting Rifts (iirc) and Nightmare Rifts for sure as well. I am sure there are other locations and cases as well. I am pretty sure it is related to planar spawning type sound effects in the mentioned cases.

What I suspect is happening is that basically a game object (NPC, visual effect, etc) also generates a looped sound effect intended for its duration managed by an referenced audio object dynamically allocated in memory. At some point the initial game object is unloaded (i.e. when the fight ends/effect ends/it is killed) but the referenced audio object is not properly deleted and remains active in the game memory generating sound so long as it persists (i.e. until the program ends).

This is a classic form of memory leak which over time could lead to session crashes. Also because different sound cards generate the sound differently, and people hear some frequencies differently, the sound may be more audible to some then others.

I remember on my old system about 5 years ago doing Alsbeth people always complained about noise at the end/after, but I could never hear it, recently went back and did it again on a new system a few weeks ago and could very distinctly hear it.

I can hear the sound as well in TD at the third boss and it seems to be the same or similar sound effect that caused issues in other cases.
    Last edited by Ral; 04-07-2017 at 01:36 PM.

It also happened on Enigma in MoM. Which uses the same laser effect.
    -[ TD 4/4 ]-
    Tilar@Greybriar | Talir@Greybriar | Tilaria@Greybriar | Tilarn@Greybriar | Khensu@Greybriar
    <Trinity> | R.I.P. <Critical Hit>

> TARTARIC DEPTHS
    * The laser sound effect on the Council of Fate boss now stops when the laser is done.

that one?

+ Reply to Thread