+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 5 of 5

  Click here to go to the first Rift Team post in this thread.   Thread: Issues with the LFR tool

  1. #1
    Plane Walker
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    473

    Default Issues with the LFR tool

    Playing around with the LFR tool in the last week, i've noticed there are still many issues plagueing it. And if it's going to live up to it's purpose, it will still require quite a bit of work to iron all the kinks out of it. Especially if players are to use it as they do the LFG one for dungeons.

    Here are a few observations:
    • automatic requeue after a player leaves the raid does not seem to work
    In both raids that i've been to via the LFR tool one player left relatively fast. In the second raid we lost even more players later on till there was no way to finish the raid anymore. Not once has the queue poped up so we would get a fresh replacement, even though we were only missing dps spots. This really needs a look into, or at least give players more control over the requeue and inviting others into the raid.
    • leave queue button doesn't seem to work
    Today i've been in the LFR on my alt for probably a few hours, as i forgot i even queue in the first place. When i noticed i left the queue and went to do some crafting dailies and such on my other alts. When i reloged back on the said alt, the queue poped up for me, even though i never requeued again. And so the alt is still sitting in the queue.

    A question that came to mind was, what happens if the queue pops up while the player has logged off. Is that one of the reasons why so many queues fail? Does the LFR system still count them as waiting in line?
    • the click ready timer on queue pop up is too short
    When the queue eventually does pop up, everyone has 1 min to click ready or the pop up fails. Even though the timer on screen resets whenever a player accepts the queue, that doesn't reset the 1 min timer for the pop up. Considering there are twice as many palyers needed than in LFG queue it might be better to actually have the timer reset like it does visually on the screen. Sure, the queue pop up would take a bit longer, but it would prob fail less as well since there would be a bit more time for 10 players to notice it and accept the queue.


    For now that is all that comes to mind. Overall the LFR tool is still way to rigid, which prevents it from fulfilling it's role like the LFG tool does for the dungeons. Improvments are still needed on this front and hopefully they will happen sooner rather than later.
    Last edited by Jotunn; 04-06-2017 at 05:37 AM.
    <Tyael@Gelidra>
    ...Stack on 8...

  2.   Click here to go to the next Rift Team post in this thread.   #2
    Rift Team SupermanSocks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    317

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jotunn View Post
    Here are a few observations:
    • automatic requeue after a player leaves the raid does not seem to work
    In both raids that i've been to via the LFR tool one player left relatively fast. In the second raid we lost even more players later on till there was no way to finish the raid anymore. Not once has the queue poped up so we would get a fresh replacement, even though we were only missing dps spots. This really needs a look into, or at least give players more control over the requeue and inviting others into the raid.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jotunn View Post
    leave queue button doesn't seem to work
    If you're able to reproduce either of these let me know, the second one was very old bug that was fixed a long time ago. The first one I have not heard of before, as from what I've been told is that it is re-queuing the raid reliably every time someone leaves.


    Quote Originally Posted by Jotunn View Post
    A question that came to mind was, what happens if the queue pops up while the player has logged off. Is that one of the reasons why so many queues fail? Does the LFR system still count them as waiting in line?
    If you log off or disconnect, you're instantly removed from the LFR queue.


    Quote Originally Posted by Jotunn View Post
    When the queue eventually does pop up, everyone has 1 min to click ready or the pop up fails. Even though the timer on screen resets whenever a player accepts the queue, that doesn't reset the 1 min timer for the pop up. Considering there are twice as many palyers needed than in LFG queue it might be better to actually have the timer reset like it does visually on the screen. Sure, the queue pop up would take a bit longer, but it would prob fail less as well since there would be a bit more time for 10 players to notice it and accept the queue.
    The timer resetting is a bug and should be fixed in the next hotfix. The timer does not actually reset, it's 60 seconds from the start of the screen popping up.
    You don't know what these socks are!

  3. #3
    Plane Walker
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    493

    Default

    The real problem with the LFR tool is that these raids can be entered without using it. The goal was to educate newer players / casuals about raiding, but by adding in the portals, you've given a means for the vets to be selective and not take the casuals / newbies who need the runs the most.

    Now, we're back to the old meta where we have groups of entirely skilled players who clear TD and QF easily by recruiting through chats, and the newer players and casuals grouped together, either in casual guild runs or LFR. Regardless of the actual number of players using LFR (it's very low, creating long que times), LFR is pretty much entirely newbies who have no hope of clearing TD together.

    LFR in WoW worked better because there was no way to get into the LFR raids without using the randomizer tool. You (usually) had a decent distribution of (relatively) good and bad players, so that you had a good shot at downing the boss and casuals / newcomers learned what raiding was all about. There were "normal" versions of the raids as well that could be entered via portal, but a lot of decent / average raiders would do both because the LFR gear was still better than experts.

    To make the comparison a bit more personal, I first got into raiding BECAUSE I was able to learn about raid encounters in LFR. I had never really raided before LFR came out in Cataclysm. Those early LFR groups had enough experienced raiders taking leadership roles to guide us through the fights and allow us to succeed. IF WoW had released LFR with the option to portal in, none of those experienced players would have been in the que. Random LFR groups would have been continuous wipe-fests (they sometimes were still, but only sometimes), and I can almost guarantee I'd have just stopped trying after a while and continued on as a casual.

    Many guilds that newer players actually join don't touch raiding, or already have a set group. LFR is a nice way to learn for players who are in that situation, but only if someone in the raid is able to provide insight / guidance / enough dps to compensate for yours while you're still learning. From everything I've heard about LFR so far, that isn't happening.
    Last edited by Boxsmith; 04-06-2017 at 09:32 AM.

  4. #4
    Plane Walker
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    473

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SupermanSocks View Post
    If you're able to reproduce either of these let me know, the second one was very old bug that was fixed a long time ago. The first one I have not heard of before, as from what I've been told is that it is re-queuing the raid reliably every time someone leaves.
    It does look like it is requeuing but nothing ever happens after. I would asume that there's at least one dps player in queue, or goes in queue in the time it took us to finish which was at least half an hour.

    Could it be that the requeue looks at current sellected roles of the players at the time it queues the raid up and thus looking for wrong roles? Since most of the boss fights in TD require only one tank, is it then looking for a tank instead of dps, if the other originally queued tank is in dps role? Or the same for healer, support?

    I think it would be nice that the requeue would be managed by players like in LFG for dungeons. In that case you could all resellect roles if desired and specifically look for the roles you need.

    Quote Originally Posted by SupermanSocks View Post
    If you log off or disconnect, you're instantly removed from the LFR queue.
    On my alt that hasn't happened though. I was in LFR queue for probably 2-3h before i canceled it and loged off on other alts to do some crafting. When i loged the said alt back in, in less than a min a pop up for LFRcame up and i saw i was still queued up. So far this was the only time it happened and it was today, so didn't have a lot of chance to see it happen again.

    Quote Originally Posted by SupermanSocks View Post
    The timer resetting is a bug and should be fixed in the next hotfix. The timer does not actually reset, it's 60 seconds from the start of the screen popping up.
    I asumed it was a bug, yes. But i still think that it might be a too short timer as a lot of queue pop ups i've seen expire. I'm sure it's not helping that the queue times tend to be very long as well though.
    <Tyael@Gelidra>
    ...Stack on 8...

  5.   This is the last Rift Team post in this thread.   #5
    Rift Team SupermanSocks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    317

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jotunn View Post
    Could it be that the requeue looks at current sellected roles of the players at the time it queues the raid up and thus looking for wrong roles? Since most of the boss fights in TD require only one tank, is it then looking for a tank instead of dps, if the other originally queued tank is in dps role? Or the same for healer, support?
    When you are automatically requeued, it uses your previously queued roles. It's possible that your role might switch upon finding a new member, say if you're queued as DPS + Tank and was initially assigned tank. When someone leaves and the system can only find a tank, it might turn you into a DPS to get the new tank into your group.


    Quote Originally Posted by Jotunn View Post
    On my alt that hasn't happened though. I was in LFR queue for probably 2-3h before i canceled it and loged off on other alts to do some crafting. When i loged the said alt back in, in less than a min a pop up for LFRcame up and i saw i was still queued up. So far this was the only time it happened and it was today, so didn't have a lot of chance to see it happen again.
    When was this? If you PM me an approximate timeframe and the character's name I can look into the logs to see if it was actually removing you or not.
    You don't know what these socks are!

+ Reply to Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts