+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree9Likes
  • 3 Post By Meteorblade
  • 4 Post By Icarus
  • 2 Post By Feendish

Click here to go to the first Rift Team post in this thread.   Thread: A Tale of The Devil Who Would Be King - End boss damage since hotfix 5

Default A Tale of The Devil Who Would Be King - End boss damage since hotfix 5

The end boss in the Ashenfall story instance "A Tale of The Devil Who Would Be King" Acarax is now doing completely unmitigatable damage.

During the fight, the first time he becomes immune he spawns a pillar of flame in a random location which proceeds to chase the player and does fire damage if the circle of damage around it touches the player.

Since Hotfix 5 this pillar is now doing huge and sometimes unavoidable damage. On a couple of occasions doing the instance yesterday the pillar / circle was spawned directly on top of my character. Despite attempting to move as soon as that happened I died immediately. The combat-log shows why...

Yes, that's a single tick of damage for 270 million, spawned right on top of the player.

Please fix.

Happened to me when I was trying to compete the main story quest on my Cleric. Twice the Firestorm spawned right on top of me in the center of the room, one-shotting me with over 300 million damage. After running back the second time, I made sure to stay towards the back of the room when Duke became active again, which made him chase me and delayed the casting of Firestorm. When he did start to cast I made sure to keep running and finally managed to complete the quest.

Although it's doable, this is too punishing a mechanic for what passes for this expansion's excuse of a daily chronicle and does need to have the damage fixed. It takes too long already and having to run back over and over again if this overpowered Firestorm spawns on top of you is not okay.

Yep, happened to me yesterday and today. Have done this for a couple weeks now everyday and it just recently started doing this. I have sent in bug reports, hopefully they get it taken care of.

..on the birth of a search, white trash my native son..

Shadowlander

Here a tip that works for me until is fixed: after u die from the firestorm aoe, leave the instance and do the Una dailie while having this quest also.When u finish it and exit the portal ,the quest autocompletes for the ashenfell dailie also.Hope it works for u guys too.Tested in 2 days and seems to work

Ral
    Rift Master

The quest seems to complete (at least while I was still doing the quest) with the completion of nearly any other quest, including a zone event. However by not defeating the boss/instance you lose the additional 7p from the chest and 3 million xp from completing the instance itself.
    Last edited by Ral; 12-10-2016 at 10:48 PM.

Rift Disciple

I'm glad I'm not the only one who had that issue. I took 320 million from that tornado in one of my attempts. Did you also find that he would remain immune after killing the three crystals? I was unable to complete the instance as intended because he remained immune after wiping once to the tornado dealing egregious amounts of damage.

I can also verify that once I completed the seal 2 rifts daily the instance quest completed. I would much prefer to complete the quest legitimately as I find it is faster. This should definitely be addressed, hopefully in the next patch.

7.   Click here to go to the next Rift Team post in this thread.   #7
    Rift Team

You've unlocked hard mode!

Ok, jokes aside, the damage for Soulstorm will be fixed in the next patch.

I will also look into why players are able to complete the quest by completing another quest. That is troubling to say the least.

Thank you all for the reports, and your continued patience!

IMO I like the instant murderface aspect. Adds a little thrill. Its fairly easy to avoid. Just run from the boss when he starts the cast for it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-8Tw3nu-ic

<Call Infernal Soulstorm>

Make a Kalert for it or something.
    Ghar Station
    Ghar Station Discord
    Mistakes Were Made - Guild
    New to rift? Get free stuff! Go here: http://bit.ly/2jvhGTg Or enter this: CEYE39PQRW2GP79FENQ9

RIFT Fan Site Operator Feendish's Avatar

Glad to know that's not intended.

I wouldn't mind the insta-nuke so much if there weren't an ungodly amount of trash in that instance. Granted, most of it can be avoided, but Ashenfell's by far the longest of the daily quest instances (although, when the trash dropped planar dust, I cheerfully killed each and every mob...now that they have pocket junk, untasty treats and the occasional green or T6 fragment, not so much).

Dimensions on Greybriar and Zaviel

Baradara@Greybriar

Rift Disciple

Could you also please look at moving the warp that spawns right after you defeat Arcarax next to the throne or somewhere else as long as it's not in the middle of the fighting area and warps you out without getting a chance to loot the box with 7plat. On top of having to walk back the whole way Carli just warps you back to the entrance and laughs at you while she locks the doors (barrier stopping you from walking back a third time) after the RP talk. Or just add the 7plat to the quest reward please.
    Alaysa@Gelidra
    Laysa@Gelidra

www.eternal-dawn.net @Gelidra [EU]

Quote Originally Posted by Icarus View Post
    I will also look into why players are able to complete the quest by completing another quest. That is troubling to say the least.
    I believe all four of the story instance quests will auto-complete if you've entered the instance and then complete any other quest in the same zone, e.g. close 2 rifts, a zone event, defend an onslaught and so on, so it's not just the Ashenfell instance with the problem.

Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Meteorblade View Post
    I believe all four of the story instance quests will auto-complete if you've entered the instance and then complete any other quest in the same zone, e.g. close 2 rifts, a zone event, defend an onslaught and so on, so it's not just the Ashenfell instance with the problem.
    At least it's not terribly useful as far as "exploits" go. Xarth mire and Scatheran dailies are so fast that it's slower to go find another quest in the zone, and by autocompleting them you're losing all the items (mats to be broken down) and 1/2 - 2/3 of the plat.

Quote Originally Posted by Icarus View Post
    Ok, jokes aside, the damage for Soulstorm will be fixed in the next patch.
    Quote Originally Posted by CM Morgana View Post
    ASHENFALL
    * Quest: King’s Fall and Echo of King’s Fall: Trash mobs no longer drop loot.
    * Quest: King’s Fall and Echo of King’s Fall:: Fixed some scripting that should more reliably make Duke Arcarax targetable and aggressive after the three Soul Prisons have been killed
    * Quest: A Tale of the Devil Who Would Be King: Fixed a bug where it was possible to complete the quest by completing another quest.
    No mention of the Soulstorm damage in yesterday's patch notes so was it fixed?
    Last edited by Meteorblade; 12-15-2016 at 12:17 AM.

14.   This is the last Rift Team post in this thread.   #14
    Rift Team

Yes Soulstorm damage should be fixed now! (I must have derped and forgot to put a community note in ) If not, please shout out, and I promise to give myself 10 lashes! (and of course fix it)

I'm currently also looking into the issue with all four daily story instances auto-completing (I think I've found the culprit). I will also move the portal for the daily version of Echo of King's Fall to not be where it is. Apologies for anyone who had it spawn on you after killing that pesky Arcarax!

Hopefully I can get this all fixed to get into the next patch.

Thank you all once again, for being patient, and also reporting these issues!

Rift Disciple

I didn't test the damage, but the fix about him becoming vulnerable after the three soul crystals are killed worked when I tested it. Thanks!

Edit: Tested the damage and it did not one-shot me. All seems fixed. Thanks again!

Edit 2: Pushed him to phase two (three crystals and tornado) while he channeled his cone thing. Finished phase two and then he immediately went into phase one (one crystal, no tornado). Not sure if this is intended behavior or not, but thought I'd post it. It's not really an issue at all, just an interesting sequence of events.
    Last edited by LucKeyHoleInOne; 12-20-2016 at 07:54 PM.

+ Reply to Thread