+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Nammix

Thread: Raid balance with high variance in dps hp

Plane Walker

Default Raid balance with high variance in dps hp

Most dpsers will probably have quite a few fragment pieces with some tank stats on them, while min-maxer / lucky ones might not have a single tank stat.
    Their hp difference would then be much greater than that of NMT.

How would future raid content be balanced around that? Raid mechanics should assume that dpsers don't have any tank stat on their fragments, but that means those raids with all dpsers having tank stats will have a much easier time.

Rift Disciple

Idk. Apparently they reduced the amount of rune slots because so many runes are too hard to balance but that was nothing compared to planar fragments.

Rift Master

If SFP Experts are any indication they'll be incredibly undertuned to the point where it won't matter one way or another.

They'll probably resort to more percentage based damage. Right now the max difference in hp from fragments alone is about 70k hp. With varied gear that could be even greater. Burst damage will probably be undertuned and the bigger hits will just be percentage based. For example, something like Cataclysm on Fionn would be flat damage just way undertuned, but something like the Enigma bubbles would be percentage based.

At least that's how I see it being done.
    Quote Originally Posted by TrionBrasse
    We are absolutely a service industry and you're only as good as your last contact with the customer.

Shadowlander

That will matter in raids (if they ever actually get released in 4.0) like HP matters now in instant adventures

Just look at how expert dungeons are tuned, they just put some random amount of health on mobs and called it a day. I guess that kind of makes sense if you take into account there are pretty much no raiding guilds left in Rift.

I find it funny that people still talk about "raid balance" in this game at all

Plane Walker

Quote Originally Posted by Artewig View Post
    They'll probably resort to more percentage based damage. Right now the max difference in hp from fragments alone is about 70k hp. With varied gear that could be even greater. Burst damage will probably be undertuned and the bigger hits will just be percentage based. For example, something like Cataclysm on Fionn would be flat damage just way undertuned, but something like the Enigma bubbles would be percentage based.

At least that's how I see it being done.
    What about tanks then? Why would tank bother with max hp/endurance if attacks are mostly percen-based? Also it would become harder to heal a tank with more hp if attacks are hp based since heals are not hp based, so in a way u get penalized for having high hp instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Wowo View Post
    What about tanks then? Why would tank bother with max hp/endurance if attacks are mostly percen-based? Also it would become harder to heal a tank with more hp if attacks are hp based since heals are not hp based, so in a way u get penalized for having high hp instead.
    I'm sure the boss' attacks on the tank would still be damage based. Was more referring to raid damage.
    Quote Originally Posted by TrionBrasse
    We are absolutely a service industry and you're only as good as your last contact with the customer.

Plane Walker

Quote Originally Posted by Artewig View Post
    I'm sure the boss' attacks on the tank would still be damage based. Was more referring to raid damage.
    Raid damage affects tank too? So it'd be harder to topup tanks with higher hp (as well as the rest of the raid if they have lots of hp fragments)
    Also there will be a huge difference between hp of a min-max tank and an average tank, so will be hard to balance damaged based attacks on tank too.

Unless heals get changed to % based too (more SP/AP = higher % heal)
    Last edited by Wowo; 11-22-2016 at 10:22 PM.

omg, this is some important stuff i missed..

I just swapped few fragments from guard to hp/end, and looks like i have to re-evaluate on whether what to stack with fragments now, assuming i get to guard soft cap, what other stats to stack with other fragments..
    Pupueffekt@Laethys TD 4/4 IROTP 4/4
    Orphanage - Laethys Rift美服华人工会 You can you up, No can no bb

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Artak View Post
    If SFP Experts are any indication they'll be incredibly undertuned to the point where it won't matter one way or another.
    Lets hope they stop ****ing around. I'm hopeful that raids will still require progression, I hope Trion doesn't let me down. I shouldn't be able to heal any SFE as a cleric who only has 29k spell power, no earings, and 1600hit. Seriously, at points I just semi afk'd and spammed aoe heals on some boss fights.
    Last edited by qqmoarploxify; 11-23-2016 at 01:46 PM.

Telaran

time will tell
    and for the runes,they didn't bring money, fragmant will, so that one is easy to fill in

by the way it realy doesn't matter if dps are running around whit tank stats on dps gear., so no worries.

and if the raid is like the dungeons are now, well what the hack it doesn't matter what you use cause it will be a walk through the park
    Last edited by faabs; 11-23-2016 at 02:01 PM.

Fia

Quote Originally Posted by qqmoarploxify View Post
    Lets hope they stop ****ing around. I'm hopeful that raids will still require progression, I hope Trion doesn't let me down. I shouldn't be able to heal any SFE as a cleric who only has 29k spell power, no earings, and 1600hit. Seriously, at points I just semi afk'd and spammed aoe heals on some boss fights.
    I agree, the SPEs are more like what normal dungeons should be like. For an expert dungeon, SPEs are waaaaayyyy too easy, especially after that rather difficult leveling process, SPEs seem really underwhelming (I mean come on, on some boss fights you don't even need a healer, wtf ... ). I really hope they tune them up (quite) a bit.

That said, the chronicles are amazing, that's what I'm expecting when playing an MMO. They really got my hype up for the SPEs, as I was hoping the SPEs were on par or better. It was a real dissapointment to find out they weren't, not even close. :/
    Fiia@Typhiria | Asthea@Hailol
    Cleric-Heal/Tank/DD | Lvl70

Now with new Prime Content! -> http://youtube.com/astheatv

+ Reply to Thread