+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 71
Like Tree10Likes

  Click here to go to the first Rift Team post in this thread.   Thread: Absorb Shielding Changes

  1.   Click here to go to the next Rift Team post in this thread.   #1
    Rift Team
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    746

    Default Absorb Shielding Changes

    We are putting in a change to how damage calculation works in regard to absorb shields this week so I wanted to give all of you folks a heads up about it since you guys will certainly notice it. It is an issue that we have sat on for quite some time since we didn't want to disturb progression through Tier 3. Now that we are in the home stretch of Nightmare Tide with Starfall Prophecy coming later this year, we felt this was a good time to address it.

    Basically, we made a change awhile back where almost all absorb shields now had a minimum of 15% bleed through so they never fully protected the character. This exposed how the game calculates absorb damage in that if there are multiple shields the damage is mitigated by each and every one. So in the case of a character having 3 shields on them, each at 15% damage bleed, the first one would let 15% through. The second would let 15% of the previous 15% through and so on. Thus the final hit would be 0.3375% of the initial hit.

    Now, the calculation will do the following:

    1) If there is a 100% absorb shield, that shield will take damage first.
    2) Damage that is bled through a shield can no longer be mitigated by other shield effects.

    Example:

    A character has 100k HP. They have a 20k 100% absorb shield, a 15k 85% absorb shield, and a 10k 85% absorb shield on them.

    The character has 100k points of damage applied to them post mitigation.

    The 20k 100% absorb shield is calculated first and 80k damage is passed along to the next shield. The 15k 85% absorb takes off another 15k while allowing 2.25k through for a reduction of 17.25k to the 30k total. This 2.25k cannot be mitigated further and will hit the character. The remaining 62.75k is applied to the last shield. 10k is mitigated and 1.5k bleeds through. Just as before, this 1.5k cannot be mitigated further. The final 51.25k lands on the character as there are no more shields to absorb the damage.

    Another way to think of this is that the player has two pools of absorbs on them. One is those that shield at 100% and the other at 85%. The 100% will always be calculated first so that's 20k off our 100k hit for 80k left. The remaining two shields account for 25k total shielding at 85% thus the player will take a minimum of 3.75k as the remaining 80k is reduced. Once all absorbs are accounted for, the character takes the remaining 51.25k.

    Thus, the character took 55k of the 100k hit after absorb shields.

    It's also important to note that this is a first in-first out system when it comes to determining which absorb shields get hit first. The only exception being that 100% shields, regardless of when applied, get calculated first.

    -Vladd
    Lead Designer - RIFT


  2. #2
    Rift Chaser
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    383

    Default

    So are you nerfing boss damage as well or just shipping this as is?
    Quote Originally Posted by Klutch817 View Post
    "I don't like what you're saying, so I'mma get triggered and shame you somehow." ~RIFT Forums, 2016

  3.   Click here to go to the next Rift Team post in this thread.   #3
    Rift Team
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    746

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aayden View Post
    So are you nerfing boss damage as well or just shipping this as is?
    Content up to CoA received drastic reductions a few months ago so we do not need to touch much of that again. We will be reducing health and damage of MoM encounters by 10% and doing the same for CoA but at a 30% reduction.
    Lead Designer - RIFT


  4. #4
    Plane Walker Zojah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    496

    Default

    Shielding changes look promising. Do the COA nerfs include HM?

    Though, seriously. You're Nerfing MoM... again? I know it's end of xpac but it's already a face roll through there.
    Last edited by Zojah; 10-03-2016 at 12:16 PM.

  5. #5
    Rift Chaser
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    383

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vladd View Post
    Content up to CoA received drastic reductions a few months ago so we do not need to touch much of that again. We will be reducing health and damage of MoM encounters by 10% and doing the same for CoA but at a 30% reduction.
    Including HM CoA?
    Quote Originally Posted by Klutch817 View Post
    "I don't like what you're saying, so I'mma get triggered and shame you somehow." ~RIFT Forums, 2016

  6. #6
    RIFT Fan Site Operator Riane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    5,612

    Default

    Looking forward to the absorb changes!

  7. #7
    Plane Touched WorldAdidas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    256

    Default

    Finally.... Looking forward to this *maybe*

    But, Why nerf to MoM AGAIN? This content was nerfed more then EVER before already.... so once again?!! Well Hopefully on other side CoA HM isn't getting touched.
    NightmareTide :: Cleared!

    Worldadidas@Gelidra

  8. #8
    Plane Touched Myred's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    202

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vladd View Post
    We are putting in a change to how damage calculation works in regard to absorb shields this week so I wanted to give all of you folks a heads up about it since you guys will certainly notice it. It is an issue that we have sat on for quite some time since we didn't want to disturb progression through Tier 3. Now that we are in the home stretch of Nightmare Tide with Starfall Prophecy coming later this year, we felt this was a good time to address it.

    Basically, we made a change awhile back where almost all absorb shields now had a minimum of 15% bleed through so they never fully protected the character. This exposed how the game calculates absorb damage in that if there are multiple shields the damage is mitigated by each and every one. So in the case of a character having 3 shields on them, each at 15% damage bleed, the first one would let 15% through. The second would let 15% of the previous 15% through and so on. Thus the final hit would be 0.3375% of the initial hit.

    Now, the calculation will do the following:

    1) If there is a 100% absorb shield, that shield will take damage first.
    2) Damage that is bled through a shield can no longer be mitigated by other shield effects.

    Example:

    A character has 100k HP. They have a 20k 100% absorb shield, a 15k 85% absorb shield, and a 10k 85% absorb shield on them.

    The character has 100k points of damage applied to them post mitigation.

    The 20k 100% absorb shield is calculated first and 80k damage is passed along to the next shield. The 15k 85% absorb takes off another 15k while allowing 2.25k through for a reduction of 17.25k to the 30k total. This 2.25k cannot be mitigated further and will hit the character. The remaining 62.75k is applied to the last shield. 10k is mitigated and 1.5k bleeds through. Just as before, this 1.5k cannot be mitigated further. The final 51.25k lands on the character as there are no more shields to absorb the damage.

    Another way to think of this is that the player has two pools of absorbs on them. One is those that shield at 100% and the other at 85%. The 100% will always be calculated first so that's 20k off our 100k hit for 80k left. The remaining two shields account for 25k total shielding at 85% thus the player will take a minimum of 3.75k as the remaining 80k is reduced. Once all absorbs are accounted for, the character takes the remaining 51.25k.

    Thus, the character took 55k of the 100k hit after absorb shields.

    It's also important to note that this is a first in-first out system when it comes to determining which absorb shields get hit first. The only exception being that 100% shields, regardless of when applied, get calculated first.

    -Vladd
    I think the math is a bit off--shouldn't the 15% bleed be subtracted from reduction, instead of added?
    Myred & Associates, a Deepwood PLLC
    dba TedCrooz@Deepwood; Mjirth@Deepwood
    Keeper of the Corgi Mask < -Hello Kitty- >
    #SeastoneBestStone, but never forget #DeepwoodBestWood

  9. #9
    Plane Walker Zojah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    496

    Default

    With this shielding change & nerf, could you please take another look at Eblius? He is still insta-gibbing tanks with Infernal Sunder & Autoattack occasionally.

  10. #10
    Prophet of Telara MisterWibble's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    1,103

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Myred View Post
    I think the math is a bit off--shouldn't the 15% bleed be subtracted from reduction, instead of added?
    It's 15% damage which has been processed one way or the other. It can no longer be shielded, so it cannot be used when calculating the next shield.

    In this case, it's not absorbed, but a pool of damage which will go through.

    But I get where you're coming from. Makes sense as well. I guess it depends on the definition of bleed.
    Last edited by MisterWibble; 10-03-2016 at 12:46 PM.


    A Rift screenshot collection.

    Watch me on Twitch

  11. #11
    Plane Walker Zojah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    496

    Default

    Does this include a 30% bad luck reduction for those super buggy Fionn pulls too ?

    More would clear this instance without the nerf if the instance lag (Herecius) & bosses based on pure RNG (Fionn) were fixed.

    http://forums.riftgame.com/game-disc...coa-nerfs.html
    Last edited by Zojah; 10-03-2016 at 12:57 PM.

  12. #12
    Plane Touched Myred's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    202

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MisterWibble View Post
    It can no longer be shielded, so it cannot be used when calculating the next shield.
    Ahh, that fixed it. Good catch.
    Last edited by Myred; 10-03-2016 at 01:06 PM.
    Myred & Associates, a Deepwood PLLC
    dba TedCrooz@Deepwood; Mjirth@Deepwood
    Keeper of the Corgi Mask < -Hello Kitty- >
    #SeastoneBestStone, but never forget #DeepwoodBestWood

  13.   Click here to go to the next Rift Team post in this thread.   #13
    Rift Team
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    746

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zojah View Post
    Do the COA nerfs include HM?
    Yes, this includes Hard Mode as well.
    Lead Designer - RIFT


  14. #14
    Rift Chaser
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    383

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vladd View Post
    Yes, this includes Hard Mode as well.
    Will this be on the PTS to test before it goes live Wednesday?
    Quote Originally Posted by Klutch817 View Post
    "I don't like what you're saying, so I'mma get triggered and shame you somehow." ~RIFT Forums, 2016

  15.   Click here to go to the next Rift Team post in this thread.   #15
    Rift Team
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    746

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aayden View Post
    Will this be on the PTS to test before it goes live Wednesday?
    Maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaybe.

    Read: We've been smoke testing the build and if it passes will be pre-fetched and updated to PTS.
    Lead Designer - RIFT


+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts