+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: To the Devs: 2222Dungeon queue times- way too long?

Soulwalker

Default To the Devs: 2222Dungeon queue times- way too long?

queue times are way too long. i entered a random dungeon queue, went for lunch and came back 3 hrs later. To my astonishment, i was still in the queue for it.

WTF? This has to be fixed to retain both new(like a WoW-accustomed player like me) and old players.

I know Rift is not a WoW clone(so far, the game's been meeting my expectations), but fast queue times was one of the major plus point in WoW. Other wise, y would i even consider paying real life money to be a Patron or anything for Rift(when i would consider doing so for WoW in regards to the fast queue times since the new Expansion is coming in August next mth)?

*Typo in topic title*
    Last edited by eldarlmari; 07-27-2016 at 12:44 AM.

What do you expect them to do, create AI controlled party members? The reason queues aren't popping is because people aren't queuing. It has nothing to do with the group finder.

You can't make groups from people that aren't there.
    Last edited by Stihl; 07-27-2016 at 01:09 AM.
    I'm ya boss baby, crank it like a chainsaw
    Rogue Moses of <Coriolis>
    "Everyone do their crafting dailies today?"
    Feed our Turtles, upload your combat logs!

There are 2 main reasons that people don't queue randoms anymore.

#1. The average skill lvl of the pug community, at least the newer ones, is abysmal to say the least, I ran a dungeon as a tank a couple of days ago(yeah, crazy, I know) and the whole dungeon I was highest aoe dps on trash, as a primalist tank >.>, ST bosses weren't much better, a necromancer was pulling that fabled 3.6k dps though... one day I hope to be that good.

There needs to be a proving grounds/training something before ppl can queue these things.

#2. Trion took away stacking charges for f2p players, worst decision ever and if anything, it affects the p2p players just as much(this thread is a prime ******* example.)
    ~Palmyy@Laethys~
    ~Nefarious MT Primalist
    Nefarious ~ 9/9 MoM(2/2 HM) ~ 4/4 HM CoA, NA #1
    Retired, pending how crap T2 is...

Telaran

they need to work on making them more appealing to long time players and well geared people.

maybe:
    - increase the rewards they give
    - add a toggleable HM or sth for raiders to have fun with (additional USEFUL* currency, Mounts, other stuff)
    - add farmable mounts or gimmicks to the loot tables to give ppl a reason to grind em

that's what I came up with in 2 seconds. Think about it and post it in this thread.
    keep it constructive.

*getting +100 Voidstones doesnt make it more appealing, if you already have 100k and nothing to buy with it.

EDIT1: + to what KiwiRage said. Taking charges from f2p players killed that part of the game for everyone.
    Last edited by Nazuki; 07-27-2016 at 03:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nazuki View Post
    they need to work on making them more appealing to long time players and well geared people.

maybe:
    - increase the rewards they give
    - add a toggleable HM or sth for raiders to have fun with (additional USEFUL currency)
    - add farmable mounts or gimmicks to the loot tables to give ppl a reason to grind em

that's what I came up with in 2 seconds. Think about it and post it in this thread.
    keep it constructive.
    These HM's sound kinda like master modes, which they said they would never bring back... kinda shooting themselves in the foot with that one, but whatever.

The mounts thing isn't bad though. Nice
    ~Palmyy@Laethys~
    ~Nefarious MT Primalist
    Nefarious ~ 9/9 MoM(2/2 HM) ~ 4/4 HM CoA, NA #1
    Retired, pending how crap T2 is...

Quote Originally Posted by Stihl View Post
    What do you expect them to do, create AI controlled party members? The reason queues aren't popping is because people aren't queuing. It has nothing to do with the group finder.

You can't make groups from people that aren't there.
    There are people in queue, its just a gigantic difference of ratio between the roles which makes it almost impossible for the system to arrange a 5 man group. RIFT unlike WoW & FFXIV has zero incentive for players to queue as Tank and Healer since more often than not the success rate of the dungeon depends on those two roles. Tanks are currently the most in-demand.

So, why would you play those pivotal roles with complete strangers that will flame you for performing poorly when they themselves don't want to do it?

There is literally nothing in it for you other than the exact same things that those "potential" flamers are getting. It wasn't an issue years ago when we actually had a player-base and players were still experimenting on what they enjoy playing since we "actually" had class changes. It is a real issue now and its been this way since Nightmare Tide. Maybe if the Dungeons were designed better to incorporate all the party members which is an extremely unlikely scenario. If it was that easy all the game developers would have that answer now. Fact of the matter is, the Tank and Healer are the two "difficult" roles in the Holy Trinity and DPS/Support are simply too easy in comparison.

I mentioned it above but the Dungeons specifically in Nightmare Tide are focused too heavily on the Tank and Healer roles to perform well.

[ NIGHTMARE TIDE ]
    • Nightmare Coast
    • Gyel Fortress
    • Citadel of Insanity
    • Glacial Maw

[ STORM LEGION ]
    • Exodus of the Storm Queen
    • Storm Breaker Protocol
    • Unhallowed Boneforge
    • Golem Foundry
    • Archive of Flesh
    • Empyrean Core
    • Tower of the Shattered

Just compare the two and you can already see that Storm Legion dungeons involved the party more-so than Nightmare Tide which is just basically the Tank and the Healer. Citadel of Insanity could have been good if not for the early nerfs. I could think of at least one activity/boss-fight/mechanic in each of the Storm Legion dungeon which didn't exclusively rely on the Tank & Healer which seems to be the trend for Nightmare Tide dungeons.

There is a lot TRION could do, they've just chosen not to do it. They have the resources already, it was literally created by them, refer to it for once rather than just make direct Intrepid copies just so they can save on development costs so they can fund their other Red Door projects.

Quote Originally Posted by Stihl View Post
    What do you expect them to do, create AI controlled party members?
    Actually there is a mmo with that already: don`t get people for instance x just purchase some npcs for a medium amount ingame money(would be like 10 P per npc for Rift) and you are ready to go.

I just can confirm in WoW you get spoiled with que times....queing for a low lv dungeon during 3 AM on weekdays as a dd and you just wait like 10 minutes but it could be that the que is well populated because doing dungeons is the best way to get exp there :P
    Prof. Akylios passenger of the Choo Choo train
    Member of the Cosmic Flame Trooper Squad
    Ex-Beidl of <Transcendent>

Quote Originally Posted by Soulshield View Post
    Actually there is a mmo with that already: don`t get people for instance x just purchase some npcs for a medium amount ingame money(would be like 10 P per npc for Rift) and you are ready to go.

I just can confirm in WoW you get spoiled with que times....queing for a low lv dungeon during 3 AM on weekdays as a dd and you just wait like 10 minutes but it could be that the que is well populated because doing dungeons is the best way to get exp there :P

The idea of having NPCs to help you out ( like in chronicles) sounds interesting...I don't know how much work the devs should be doing to change it..and not sure how actually convenient it may be, but sounds interesting.

Also as you mentioned in RIFT dungeons are no longer the fastest way to get experience and level up at low levels, as we well know that's Instant Adventures now...though from lvl 50 on it still is a valid way to level fast

Couple ideas

- Lower level dungeons could get a boost in population if you got mentored down and got marks for them. The gear would be blah, but people don't care much about that nowadays. People would get to learn how to do "new" content as well.

- Incentivize tanking and healing. More people will do it. Use the incentivzation to maintain a balance.
    Ghar Station
    Ghar Station Discord
    Mistakes Were Made - Guild
    New to rift? Get free stuff! Go here: http://bit.ly/2jvhGTg Or enter this: CEYE39PQRW2GP79FENQ9

Per your first idea Hepatitis, unless you queued for all of them at 65 (or had one queue for everything at 65), you would actually increase the queue times overall. People queuing for lower dungeons and not queuing for 65 dungeons would increase the queue times of the 65 dungeons. You're just moving people around. Lower level dungeon queues are a separate issue entirely.

Incentivizing roles is interesting. You'd have to find an incentive worth queuing for, but not so important that people a) don't queue for dps or b) don't have a big impact on those not selected for tank/heals.
    Quote Originally Posted by TrionBrasse
    We are absolutely a service industry and you're only as good as your last contact with the customer.

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Byaku View Post
    There are people in queue, its just a gigantic difference of ratio between the roles which makes it almost impossible for the system to arrange a 5 man group.

So, why would you play those pivotal roles with complete strangers that will flame you for performing poorly when they themselves don't want to do it?

There is literally nothing in it for you other than the exact same things that those "potential" flamers are getting.
    This more than anything, for many people I know. Coupled with the fact that people running dungeons want the runs to be quick. No one is willing to take the time to teach the mechanics (I know I speak heresy).

Rift Master

You forgot that Trion mostly killed alts. My main is fully decked out & doesn't need marks. There's only one alt left that I play occasionally. If it wasn't super painful to gear your alts I might consider playing more of them, which would make more toons available for NTEs.

Since for me personally, Patron offers virtually nothing other than convenience, I only get one charge a day. So not like I can save them up & bang all 7 of them out on the weekend. But stacking charges for a toon I don't play much would be the only patron benefit of any use to me so yeah... not a thing.

Add to that the habitual abuse tanks and healers get if they have the audacity to suggest that maybe... perhaps... the "dps" should be able to out DPS the tank and the healer and you can see why many tanks & healers prefer to queue with friends, guild mates, or premades. I play a cleric btw so of course Justicar & Puri DPS is OP but they could at least try....

Even in Rift Classic queue times were easily 40 mins for DPS. Worse: They were often not instant for tanks. And even worse: If you queue as Tank and also flag DPS, then you get easily a spot as DPS. So what does this mean? It means that the DPS only guy waits for a Tank, while there would have been a Tank if the queue would not have wasted his role by giving him a DPS slot.

Add to this mess, that 1 tank, 1 support, 2 deepZ, 1 heal0r is a horrible setup. Especially considering that you are prohibited by the community to play suppport in a dungeon. I tried several times to play support in dungeons for practice, however the first time I had to play support was in a raid.

On top of that as others have said there is now also a lack of playerbase for dungeons&raids .And this is what people always tried to bring across: Raids and Dungeons need a playerbase thats large enough to sustain it. However the game rather put a strong emphasis on "alternative forms of progression" = current tier raid gear via marks/sparkle quest.

So yea I could make some suggestions here that are quite obvious given the above observations. However I think the ship has sailed and we have passed the point of no return. Go queue for IAs, there you get instant queues.
    Last edited by Ongar; 07-27-2016 at 12:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Artewig View Post
    Per your first idea Hepatitis, unless you queued for all of them at 65 (or had one queue for everything at 65), you would actually increase the queue times overall. People queuing for lower dungeons and not queuing for 65 dungeons would increase the queue times of the 65 dungeons. You're just moving people around. Lower level dungeon queues are a separate issue entirely.

Incentivizing roles is interesting. You'd have to find an incentive worth queuing for, but not so important that people a) don't queue for dps or b) don't have a big impact on those not selected for tank/heals.
    I'm thinking an increased percentage of marks in each category, including darkness. For example some arbitrary numbers just on darkness marks:

DPS - 100 Darkness
    Heals - 120 Darkness
    Tank - 150 Darkness
    Support - 100 Darkness

You'll get more healers initially and anybody who can tank. Eventually people will collect a junk tank set that's capable of clearing NTE's quick and the need for tanks will go down. From there the percentages can be tweaked to something like this:

DPS - 100 Darkness
    Heals - 120 Darkness
    Tank - 120 Darkness
    Support - 100 Darkness

If you get too few of one thing just incentivize it a bit more to increase popularity. Find the balance. (And keep it from becoming a queueing nightmare by enforcing a guard cap)
    Ghar Station
    Ghar Station Discord
    Mistakes Were Made - Guild
    New to rift? Get free stuff! Go here: http://bit.ly/2jvhGTg Or enter this: CEYE39PQRW2GP79FENQ9

Quote Originally Posted by Artewig View Post
    Finding that balance would be tricky. I'd love to see it, though.
    The requirement to be able to queue as tank would most likely need to be adjusted, too... or you'd get every fresh 65 (or tank with no gear) trying to tank it as the rewards are better
    Last edited by Hewi; 07-27-2016 at 09:42 PM.
    NA#1 T-Rex. One of the token aussies for -Lemme Smash-
    RIP Coriolis.

PrancingTurtle online log parser

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast