+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6Likes
  • 5 Post By TheBlueOwl
  • 1 Post By Filri

Thread: Critique of CoA

Soulwalker

Default Critique of CoA

I'd like to create a synopsis of HM CoA from a raiders perspective (note I don't post often so I posted something against the rules just let me know or remove the sections yourself if needed)

1.) Ebilis: Overall I like this boss, the only issue is that the enrage timer is very long. As for example there was an issue with the boss hitting tremendously higher than on prior weeks (fun to heal honestly), and the boss was still easily killed by adding a defiler (alt pulling 28k), (and due to are raid comp we had to have someone come on their alt and pull 60k in archon) and the boss still was not difficult to meet the boss at enrage.

Some solutions I'd like to see (if we could go back in time before the boss was released) besides maybe a flat increase on the bosses health and damage, would be the cause there to be a reason to kill the shamans that appear while you kill the 2nd centaur, because at the moment they are completely ignorable after the centaur dies. Other than that I think the boss overall is a good boss especially when you take into consideration that it is the first of the instance.

2.) Life mini: This "boss" seems to be intended to be a heavy dps or heal check, but the dps check is so low that you can run additional healers and a defiler. There seems to be some mechanic of passing around a reactive (to lower tank damage?), but all in all this mini is usually killed very very shortly after killing ebilis because it was just too butchered by the long enrage timer.

3.) Fire mini: This I think is actually a very good fight, the tuning seems well and the raid has to abide by the mechanics, mechanics need to be done by the whole raid (dodging waves, dpsing the sinister presence, assign some people or everyone to dps crystals, use the dark star for dps gain (ranged) or use the melee dps boost and never interrupt the bosses cast) and has a decent dps check. Overall though people may have gotten upset with this boss while progressing on it because you'd need every guildie to have eyes and dodge waves, I think this was a very well made mini boss.

4.) Fyragnos (Charizard): I actually have to say I really like there was an attempt to create lots of mechanics in rapid succession, trying to create a rather chaotic sub 35%, with a gradual implication of mechanics as the fight continues up until that point.

Now though this fight is the perfect poster child of a fight that was completely spoiled by a long enrage. This fight is perfectly capable of being 2 healed with 2 good healers (which they should be this is hardmode), then having 2 healers makes failing the mechanics less forgiving have 1 less battle res. You on the other hand can run 3 healers, mindlessly heal through all the healing mechanics, and still kill the boss 2 minutes before enrage, so in reality you can add a 4th healer and a defiler if you felt like it and still meet enrage on this boss. So all this boss actually requires on hard mode is your guilds ability to walk in a circle around the boss and not panic below 35%.

Again if we could go back in time before this boss was released, I would have liked to see first of all 2 minutes of enrage cut (or corresponding health increased), and then having more mechanics that interact with the dps rather than the healers so that they do not feel like they are just walking around in a circle parsing. Oh and of course before everyone says it increase the melee hit box on the adds. Again I think the perfect way to describe this fight is the poster child of a fight completely spoiled by an extraordinary long enrage timer.

5.) Hericius (Venusour, drama boss): This boss I actually think is probably one of the funnest bosses I've ever killed in rift. The boss has a real healing check and a well tuned dps check, there are mechanics that result in individual responsibilities (one of which being communication (safe-zone to stand in since there are 2 different sets of invisible waves and only 1 person can see each set, as well as communication when they can refresh buffs, time to kill adds etc) as well as raid wide responsibilities, and I honestly feel sorry for those who killed this boss using alternate means, its probably the most gratifying boss to kill in Rift, also actually demonstrates that your guild is actually good.

The only change I would like to see on this boss is not having waves occur during shroomaggeddon, maybe we are just bad but it seems to be a rather cluster of communication to me, especially because it only seems to happen around half the time, so if anything make waves always happen or never happen in that phase.

As for the rest of the boss, In my mind, being able to cc the adds and then drop the buff so that you do not have to kill them, the boss not dealing damage when ran away from the boss , and using a safe spot in the room so that you can virtually skip the entire communication mechanic of waves occurring throughout the entire fight without needed to get the buff to see the waves every minute. I believe these are just things that should be fixed when the devs have time.

Anyone looking for <Coriolis> drama, I'm not gonna do that here we already shared are minds and the Trion team made their decisions, please leave it out of the comments. As for the other guilds who killed this abusing multiple of the above methods, we all know if you're bad or not, you can claim whatever title you want all you did was ruin the raid for yourself.

Overall I think this was a great boss just sorry for all the issues its caused.

6.) Fionn, Not going to comment much on this boss as my guild is yet to kill this one, but overall I very much like this boss so far, and there are many ways to control some of the bosses "random one shots", the only thing I don't like is the graphic for power shot feels rather strange (maybe due to not enough time on the boss yet), other than that nice job, feels very fitting for a final boss.

Oh and to answer a little controversy, no it is not intended on hard-mode to instantly delete the bosses final 25% of health, as shocking as it sounds some people actually believe (and want to argue) that everything but Fionn is intended to be virtually ignored. I'll refer this to the same as my Hericius comment, claim whatever you want everyone knows if your guild is good or bad, all you've done is spoiled the raid for yourself.

You are suppose to dps the archers down so that the healer goes on them instead of Fionn on his final health, note this method not only increases the duration and mechanics of the fight, but actually makes the 11 minute enrage a tuned dps check.

Overall again well done, and i'm looking forward to doing this boss more.

Haven't done Azaphrentus on Hard Mode yet, but when we did it on Normal Mode, Surging Flames (I believe that is the wave, please correct me if I'm mistaken) had a max hit of 58M which is a third of his health. That completely negated the dps check which I was disappointed by. I'd definitely say reduce the wave damage if that was what it was.
    Quote Originally Posted by TrionBrasse
    We are absolutely a service industry and you're only as good as your last contact with the customer.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Artewig View Post
    Haven't done Azaphrentus on Hard Mode yet, but when we did it on Normal Mode, Surging Flames (I believe that is the wave, please correct me if I'm mistaken) had a max hit of 58M which is a third of his health. That completely negated the dps check which I was disappointed by. I'd definitely say reduce the wave damage if that was what it was.
    Yes that occurred on the first week of release, I was under the impression this had already been fixed and no longer occurring. At least for my raid it has never occurred since.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBlueOwl View Post
    Yes that occurred on the first week of release, I was under the impression this had already been fixed and no longer occurring. At least for my raid it has never occurred since.
    Its intended. The "Wave spawners" are not the boss's waves so any debuffs you put on the boss buff the waves. The waves are intended to crit and you can see in some of the first EU kill videos him going down 64mill hp.
    T for Trinity
    42k Achievement Points Club
    I has stream https://www.twitch.tv/boase Add me on GW2 Boase.6204 or Bnet Boase!#1862

Champion

Lord Fionn would also be a quite nice fight, if there werenīt the oneshots from the Marskman while healing the normal AE.
    There are so much overlaping mechanics which you just canīt handle. This boss needs a lot of work

<Transcendent>

Rift Master

For me, i have quite mixed feelings on the new 10 man. I like the way it is made but it was definitely released too early and needed more time in tuning and fixing things up. And the main issue i have it it is that as soon as it was released it was pretty much once again labeled as finished content and we're still waiting for any fixes or new of them (for the most part) ...

So here's a list of things that come to my mind, including lots of them that should be fixed:

-Duke Eblius: Looks like a fun 1st. boss. There's only 2 things that bother me, the recently buffed up hits on tanks (Izkinra anyone? lol), the hits are just way too high, even more than tanks full HP. The other one is more of an observation, at the 4th phase (portals and adds), both types of adds seem to be on rng spawns which means you can get only chickens (exploding adds) for a long time and then all of a sudden get swarmed by other adds and boss becomes active.

-Azaphrentus: if it werent for the bugs it would be really fun fight.
    -feasts, trainers, bankers ... getting turned into the "husks" and thus can be ignored,
    -after you free a player from the "husk" he will continue to take dot damage untill he dies, there is no other way to remove that.
    -the buff that is diplayed on the boss while he's channeling his rage has to my knowledge never worked.
    -if a person is freed from the husk by a wave he will die instantly to its damage as well
    -Caelon: could have put a practicing dummy here instead the way it seems to be working atm and it wouldn't have made much difference.

-Fyragnos: apart from having really long enrage, can't say anything comes to mind about him.

-Hericius: can be a fun or a really frustrating thing to deal with:
    -waves spawning at shroomagedon and haveing limited to no way of seeing them casues lots of random wipes for no real reason. And as i twas mentioned he doesn't even seem to do it consistently.
    -the whole debacle with despawning adds which i think is still possible from what i'm reading here ...
    -fixing his autoattack so he does it when tank isn't in melee or unroots himself ...
    -in a way i liked he has a very tough enrage timer, but on the other hand dps between classes is way out of wack and that brings issues with raid composition or just forget even trying to kill him ...
    -Fionn: was fun figuring out all the stuff but in the end it felt very underwhelming, especially with the design of the last 25% (and yes that includes archers), the boss just melts away on NM and i imagine it isn't much different in that respect on HM.

Oh and the overall fun bug, HM dropping 2x NM chests

So this is a little list of things that come to mind about this raid and problems included which i hope will get sorted sooner rather than later. I really hope we won't have to wait another half a year or mroe to see any more fixes like it seems the be the usual practice here with releasing unfinished content to soon and forgeting about it.
    Last edited by Jotunn; 06-13-2016 at 04:42 AM. Reason: added a line to Azaphrentus

Something I'd like to add about HM Duke Eblius:

When the game crashes mid-fight and you log back in, the lava pools are invisible to you.
    And since I am the tank who kites him around that is pretty problematic (the game crashed twice yesterday while fighting him): I ran into the pools several times because I just couldn't see them...
    Fantasy - 51 Justicar - Eyes of Eternity - Vigil (retired)
    Electrah - 61 Riftstalker - Harshmallows - Gelidra (retired)
    No longer playing Rift

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by Jotunn View Post
    -Hericius:
    -in a way i liked he has a very tough enrage timer, but on the other hand dps between classes is way out of wack and that brings issues with raid composition or just forget even trying to kill him
    I really want to know who started this, I've heard this way too many times. Enrage on that boss is not tough and completely doable without maelstroms or shadeborns. Transcendent's first kill was at 6:40, even though that was with maelstroms, that is 20 seconds before enrage. TWENTY. Any boss that can be killed that much before enrage is not 'tightly tuned'. Our kill (without any maelstroms and shadeborns) was right at enrage with a bunch dying at the end. If the enrage was really tightly tuned then we would've died on that pull.
    Last edited by CoffeeJelly; 06-13-2016 at 02:43 AM.
    <Nephilim>

Quote Originally Posted by Jotunn View Post

-Caelon: could have put a practicing dummy here instead the way it seems to be working atm and it wouldn't have made much difference.
    Looking at Prancingturtle only 3 guilds killed her before enrage(2:30) on HM.
    Could be that the enrage is not working or something changed before release but the minis should be easier than the first boss.
    Prof. Akylios passenger of the Choo Choo train
    Member of the Cosmic Flame Trooper Squad
    Ex-Beidl of <Transcendent>

King of Slackers

2:31 is fine aswell
    Keepro - King of Slackers - NewHorizons - Contend
    Youtube
    Twitch

Rift Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by CoffeeJelly View Post
    I really want to know who started this, I've heard this way too many times. Enrage on that boss is not tough and completely doable without maelstroms or shadeborns. Transcendent's first kill was at 6:40, even though that was with maelstroms, that is 20 seconds before enrage. TWENTY. Any boss that can be killed that much before enrage is not 'tightly tuned'. Our kill (without any maelstroms and shadeborns) was right at enrage with a bunch dying at the end. If the enrage was really tightly tuned then we would've died on that pull.
    You had two maelstrom hybrids though

Quote Originally Posted by Soulshield View Post
    Looking at Prancingturtle only 3 guilds killed her before enrage(2:30) on HM.
    Could be that the enrage is not working or something changed before release but the minis should be easier than the first boss.
    Looking at the leaderboards at least five groups killed Caelon before enrage just this week on EU ;)

Too long enrage timer
    Yet all but all two Caelon kills were done over 2:30 on NA

Like Fionn, the problem with Caelon is that her mechanic is negligible with a single pass and two healers. The fight is too short for her mechanic - it takes the full 2:30 to build up 100 stacks, and a minute or so before damage is intense enough to consider passing the reactive. Tuning on a fight like that is very difficult, especially with the current state of class balance.
    Last edited by DarkDaemon; 06-13-2016 at 02:39 PM.

Welcome to open beta raiding.
    <Coriolis>
    Archemys

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Boase View Post
    Its intended. The "Wave spawners" are not the boss's waves so any debuffs you put on the boss buff the waves. The waves are intended to crit and you can see in some of the first EU kill videos him going down 64mill hp.
    Well, it was just removed in the patch notes, so I assume it wasn't intended to hit the boss for 64 million so they removed the mechanic entirely, as hitting for 30% of the bosses health for doing virtually nothing does not really make a whole lot of sense, no?

+ Reply to Thread