+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 32
Like Tree24Likes

  Click here to go to the first Rift Team post in this thread.   Thread: recent raid testing/overlap with live server

  1. #1
    Rift Chaser
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    379

    Exclamation recent raid testing/overlap with live server

    first and foremost let me say this is not an attempt to bash the dev that offered the pts testing, i think it was a great idea and incentive to get people to work out some bugs from down tuning the bosses. let me continue to say that the attempts to broadcast actual live server firsts was also above and beyond so thank you for that.

    the unfortunate truth is that although we may be several months behind other servers there are two raid guilds in competition on the Faeblight server. One participated in the testing and one did not. I have no issues with the loot reward for testing the pts version being granted on live servers that is fair for their participation, but why would the group who tested also be granted server firsts for their PTS kills. if im not mistaken bosses on pts had different health pools than the ones released on the live server patch making it a completely different fight with timings and requirements, not to mention the multiple methods of assistance granted during the fights.

    is PTS server now the same as Faeblight server?
    Last edited by makerofwidows; 05-08-2016 at 08:15 PM.

  2. #2
    Rift Disciple Simplici7y's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    102

    Default

    Two points:
    1) You could've went to the PTS too. The only counterargument is that it was short-notice from the dev, and I agree with that. It should have been announced way sooner.
    2) Trion is desperate for testers. Ever since their main raid testing guild ragequit the game, they've had a serious lack of testers, so they need to incentivize testing as much as possible. If they dont, we'll have to test raid content on live.

  3. #3
    Telaran Megron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    52

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Simplici7y View Post
    1) You could've went to the PTS too. The only counterargument is that it was short-notice from the dev, and I agree with that. It should have been announced way sooner.
    Not only was the announcement made late, but for a full 20man raid you'd need everyone to have PTS downloaded. And if I'm not mistaken, some people have bandwidth caps so downloading the PTS might not be even possible. Also for those who hasn't logged on to PTS before, might not be aware on how to easily copy their addon settings and would not want to invest time on setting up their addons again to raid efficiently.

    So, it's not like everyone could have just gone to PTS as easily as you suggested.


    @OP there's also another similar thread:
    http://forums.riftgame.com/general-d...dev-kills.html

    In my opinion giving out loot was a good incentive for this testing, but I don't think the PTS kills should ever be counted as legitimate Live kills.

  4. #4
    RIFT Guide Writer Soulshield's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    1,979

    Default

    It was the easiest solution for them kill bosses on live and distribute loot. Instead of some days or weeks of CS communication about this whole loot stuff. Leaderboard and achivements should just be resetted for this week.
    Prof. Akylios passenger of the Choo Choo train
    Member of the Cosmic Flame Trooper Squad
    Ex-Beidl of <Transcendent>

  5. #5
    Rift Chaser
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    378

    Default

    Well, one way to look at it is that the first 6 go down so easy now that the real race is to 7/9, which I don't think has happened yet on FB.

  6. #6
    Plane Touched Bringer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    234

    Default

    Grabs popcorn waiting for world firsts due to being done on PTS!

  7. #7
    RIFT Guide Writer Hababa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    367

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bringer View Post
    Grabs popcorn waiting for world firsts due to being done on PTS!
    You must be new.
    Last edited by Hababa; 05-09-2016 at 02:50 PM.
    Kerghann@Zaviel
    #1 Ninja puller/quitter #1 Flaring Powah User
    Who even knows/9 MoM
    YouTube Channel!

  8. #8
    Rift Chaser
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    379

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Simplici7y View Post
    Two points:
    1) You could've went to the PTS too. The only counterargument is that it was short-notice from the dev, and I agree with that. It should have been announced way sooner.
    2) Trion is desperate for testers. Ever since their main raid testing guild ragequit the game, they've had a serious lack of testers, so they need to incentivize testing as much as possible. If they dont, we'll have to test raid content on live.
    1.) we could have but instead we decided to kill the live versions, Wednesday night, since that's how you get kills on the live server . I don't care that they were granted loot for testing but why does PTS testing get live server first possibility. There is a new raid coming out does that mean the 10man squad that beats it on PTS gets world first?

    2.) what does any of that have to do with live server...PTS, public/play TEST server, seems to open a can of worms they might not be ready for. And you mean the guild that was tired of live testing bosses they had already public tested and given feedback on?
    Last edited by makerofwidows; 05-09-2016 at 05:54 PM.

  9. #9
    Ascendant Boase's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    2,696

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by makerofwidows View Post
    1.) we could have but instead we decided to kill the live versions, Wednesday night, since that's how you get kills on the live server . I don't care that they were granted loot for testing but why does PTS testing get live server first possibility. There is a new raid coming out does that mean the 10man squad that beats it on PTS gets world first?

    2.) what does any of that have to do with live server...PTS, public/play TEST server, seems to open a can of worms they might not be ready for. And you mean the guild that was tired of live testing bosses they had already public tested and given feedback on?

    Hardly any guilds test content on PTS. Anony gave insane incentive for guilds to test something in an limited timeframe. Devs have been working hard on getting the 10man ready and done for a certain date, they also had to nerf MoM bosses and change mechanics. The fastest way for them to make sure the huge HP nerfs didn't come out horrible they needed alot of guilds to test the encounters in a very short window.

    Devs killing the bosses on live shards was the fastest way for them to give out loot to the players who helped on PTS. If they didn't do it this way then a dev would have to go through a ton of code to simulate drops for people and hand them out to each player when they decided to log in.

    Sure the side effect was the shard firsts but it was the fastest and least time consuming option they picked.
    Last edited by Boase; 05-09-2016 at 09:00 PM.
    T for Trinity
    42k Achievement Points Club
    I has stream https://www.twitch.tv/boase Add me on GW2 Boase.6204 or Bnet Boase!#1862

  10. #10
    Ascendant Sedvick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    3,378

    Default

    There was actually a much better option loot-wise that they've done a few times before on live that wouldn't have messed with leader board times or given any free, undeserved achievements out that needed to be rolled back later. It's been used 2-3 times on live (that I know of), even though it was years ago, and is still used to this day on PTS quite regularly.
    Last edited by Sedvick; 05-09-2016 at 09:32 PM.

  11. #11
    Rift Chaser
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    379

    Default

    I really don't think it would have been much of a "time consuming issue" to make a chest with a certain boss's loot table and hand it to the guild leader. And I find it extremely difficult to believe that it was unknown shard firsts were still unclaimed considering how small the number of guilds who were able to get through the first two bosses let alone first 5.

    I believe the loot was deserved for actually testing it, but a better way of distributing the loot should have been executed; the live kill credit was from deserved for many reasons. It's unfortunately not even an issue the other guild can fix by agreeing or being understanding that they don't deserve the live server first. To add more salt in the wound those kill credits pushed them into #10 guild in NA, a nice spot to claim for a casual raiding guild, knocking the true server firsts off the list.

  12. #12
    Plane Walker
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    498

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Boase View Post
    Hardly any guilds test content on PTS. Anony gave insane incentive for guilds to test something in an limited timeframe. Devs have been working hard on getting the 10man ready and done for a certain date, they also had to nerf MoM bosses and change mechanics. The fastest way for them to make sure the huge HP nerfs didn't come out horrible they needed alot of guilds to test the encounters in a very short window.

    Devs killing the bosses on live shards was the fastest way for them to give out loot to the players who helped on PTS. If they didn't do it this way then a dev would have to go through a ton of code to simulate drops for people and hand them out to each player when they decided to log in.

    Sure the side effect was the shard firsts but it was the fastest and least time consuming option they picked.

    What is being missed here is that Anony specifically told us that there was no intent to give shard firsts. He made very clear that we had gotten the shard first on live. He was mistaken in thinking each shard except Seastone had already had guilds 5/9. It never occurred to him that this would be an issue. In conversations with our co-leader, Szambo aka Septictank, he made clear to us that we had the shard first. He sat in on our raid for a good chunk of the night to watch us kill it so he could credit us with the shard first. I cannot put this anymore plainly - Anony made clear that DoT had the shard first and Nord is still trying to claim it.

  13. #13
    Plane Walker
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    498

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by makerofwidows View Post
    I really don't think it would have been much of a "time consuming issue" to make a chest with a certain boss's loot table and hand it to the guild leader. And I find it extremely difficult to believe that it was unknown shard firsts were still unclaimed considering how small the number of guilds who were able to get through the first two bosses let alone first 5.

    I believe the loot was deserved for actually testing it, but a better way of distributing the loot should have been executed; the live kill credit was from deserved for many reasons. It's unfortunately not even an issue the other guild can fix by agreeing or being understanding that they don't deserve the live server first. To add more salt in the wound those kill credits pushed them into #10 guild in NA, a nice spot to claim for a casual raiding guild, knocking the true server firsts off the list.
    They know they did not kill it on live - look at the one screen shot they posted on top of rift that isnt cleared of nameplates - it says Playername_PTS on it.

    The fix is easy - post their live kills on topofrift and slide behind us for shard firsts. It has long been a friendly competition but we have been the first guild on Faeblight to kill each of the first 5 bosses in MoM.

  14. #14
    Plane Touched Bringer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    234

    Default

    Anony (the dev in charge of this) knows of the problem. He even was on the first night on live to trigger off server wide shard first announcements - although his character was on Greybriar and announced shard first there. Anony said he made a mistake and fixed it with out recoding. Anony will be out of game a bit but when he comes back I am certain he will chime in on this and give Dawn of Terror official Trion server first status. The bigger issue is false advertising by another guild (for recruiting purposes). However, in games as in life.... some are.more honorable than others. Karma is a real thing.

    Szambo

  15. #15
    Rift Master
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    656

    Default

    Didn't Nord do their testing on a weekend? As far as I know, those are their raid times so really, you woulda had only Sunday / Monday / Tuesday to claim that server first before the mega nerfs hit and everybody and their mother got the first few loot pinatas done anyway.

    I mean, it sucks if you feel that you were within spitting distance of claiming server first on a few bosses but we're talking about a difference of 3 days out of the many months that the raid has been out. Frankly, due to differing raid days I take these server / whatever firsts always with a grain of salt. I mean, two guilds who are similarly capable will have their firsts and seconds mostly depend on when they raid. If they are a weekend guild, they will probably usually be 2nd place when compared to a guild that raids Wed / Thu. Just saying...

    Also, I don't recall players stampeding to the PTS on previous calls for testing help. I can understand why the dev(s) felt that drastic measures were called for to entice the player base to come and help.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts