+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Simplici7y
  • 1 Post By Ongar
  • 1 Post By Artewig
  • 1 Post By Simplici7y

Thread: Getting your character raid ready quickly

Default Getting your character raid ready quickly

There has been a lot of complaints on forums about gearing up and getting tier-3 ready being a really slow process. However, as someone with multiple T3 ready characters, I felt like this is not true if you know what you're doing, so I figured I might share some of my "wisdom" and, possibly, help out someone that's frustrated with the slow progress.

The list is in order of priority, making the first point also the most important one:

1) Know how to play *every* role (can skip maintanking due to gear), especially support, and learn to do it well. If you dont sort out your roles, and if you're expecting to get carried without being willing to help out any way you can, don't expect anyone to be willing to carry your undergeared ****ty char that can only dps because you "hate support/heal". If you want to gear quickly, you need to be flexible and desirable. Being a 1k hit Marksman only does not make you desirable for a RoF raid, while I have been taken as a 850h archon or a 900hit bard to RoF on multiple occasions, just because supporting makes you useful to the raid regardless of your gear.

2) Know about every fight before joining a raid. Do not expect anyone, not even your own guild to let you into any of the raids unless you have read a raid guide and/or watched a kill video.

3) Join a guild you want to raid with in the future. I have been to multiple guilds with different chars, both EU & NA, and every one of them so far was willing to help people that want to get into raiding gear up in some way. Make sure not to overestimate yourself - if you have never raided in Rift before, or if you have been in absence for a long time, don't jump into hardcore guilds and expect them to carry you. Some will in some cases, but overall you won't be desirable in any way. Be humble and start from "the bottom".

4) PVP. The gear and hit you can get from warfronts is much better than any other nonraiding content, so whenever you aren't able to raid due to lockout/not enough hit/lack of raids to join, spend your time grinding favor and ACMs to upgrade those gloves or helm to 175hit and sound more desirable to raidleaders looking for "1200h+" etc.

A sidenote: if you took my advice and didnt skip the very first point, no one will complain about your performance even if you still have blue pieces. Just yesterday, I did an IGP hardmode (tier-2 raid) with a 1.1k hit rogue and expert tank mainhand + blue crafted offhand weapons. No one complained because I was willing to bard, provide lethal poison, heal and purge on last boss as Marksman (not all at the same time obv). Make people want to take you to their raid.

5) Weeklies/daily charges - do them. It's boring, but if you want to gear up quickly, you shouldn't skip this part. You need the Abyssal marks to upgrade PVP gear, voidstone to upgrade pvp essences and buy synergy crystal(s), as well as higher tier marks to get a tier-2 and tier-3 piece in a few weeks.

6) Notoriety. If you're a returning player without thise maxed, you should pay attention to this. It shouldn't be a priority over all of the above, but if you want to be serious about raiding, start doing dailies/quests.
    Hint: Instant Adventures drop marks you can exchange for notoriety - I found this to be a much faster way of gaining it. Also check Riftgrate's guide to Nightmare Tide notoriety.

Using these guidelines made me able to get my alts to tier-3 ready within a matter of weeks. If you're a returning/new player, don't expect to rush into the latest tier; rather, practise your specs and mechanics in previous tiers and don't expect to raid in T3 a few weeks after dinging 65.

This is my own view of things, and what I have done in order to gear up my characters. If you think I have missed out on something important, be sure to point it out. Or if you think I'm a liar and there's no way to get t3 ready in 3 weeks, let me hop on my alt quickly to screenshot dinging lvl 65 (less than a month ago) achievement as well as Dark Genesis (7-8/9 in MoM) achievement a few weeks afterwards.

You have interesting points for discussion.

First off you start how people complain about getting current tier raid ready. However then you mention RoF (T1) and IGP (T2). At this point you can eventually skip T1, but you still have to do T2 - which some people may refuse to do, because they have done this 4-5 years ago already.

1, You dont need to know every role. There is a danger that you can play everything and nothing. More likely nothing. There are a few roles you need. Try to master those.

2. Read guides before you PuG. - Absolutly.

3. TbH here I have my alarm bells ringing. Only join a guild if you want to be a guild raider in the long run. However and thats the sad reality I witnessed first hand with my Storm Legion Guild:
    Due to the have "X hit Xtra, link achie" trade chat madness, a lot of people join a guild only for achie and gear and once they have it leave it/stop participating and go pugging.

4/5/6 Do PvP/Weeklie/Notority Grind - Yes.

So overall you make a lot of good points to get ready for outdated tiers. But im still not convinced that you can get T3 raid ready in a fast and reliable way, without getting carried by a guild.
    Last edited by Ongar; 05-07-2016 at 12:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ongar View Post
    But im still not convinced that you can get T3 raid ready in a fast and reliable way, without getting carried by a guild.
    yes ofc, EVERYONE who is a T3 raider got carried by their raid team (who got carried by others in their raid team and so on).

your logic hurts my head.
    Last edited by fantasyy; 05-07-2016 at 08:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by fantasyy View Post
    yes ofc, EVERYONE who is a T3 raider got carried by their raid team (who got carried by others in their raid team and so on).

So typical for this section. Taking every argument to the ultimate extreme to make it sound rediculous.

Quote Originally Posted by fantasyy View Post

Your reading comprehension skills hurt my head.
    Quote Originally Posted by TrionBrasse
    We are absolutely a service industry and you're only as good as your last contact with the customer.

Quote Originally Posted by Ongar View Post
    First off you start how people complain about getting current tier raid ready. However then you mention RoF (T1) and IGP (T2). At this point you can eventually skip T1, but you still have to do T2 - which some people may refuse to do, because they have done this 4-5 years ago already.

1, You dont need to know every role. There is a danger that you can play everything and nothing. More likely nothing. There are a few roles you need. Try to master those.

3. TbH here I have my alarm bells ringing. Only join a guild if you want to be a guild raider in the long run. However and thats the sad reality I witnessed first hand with my Storm Legion Guild:
    Due to the have "X hit Xtra, link achie" trade chat madness, a lot of people join a guild only for achie and gear and once they have it leave it/stop participating and go pugging.
    This is not about "how to get T3 ready quickly", because different people have different goals. Someone might want to join a guild and progress igp/hk with them, why not?

If you want to get to T3 asap, you shouldnt whine about t2 being rehashed content, just like you shouldn't whine about IAs being boring for notoriety/weekly farm. If you don't want to do boring stuff, don't expect to get gear quickly, as simple as that.

You don't need to, no. But being able to play different roles is no. 1 thing that will get you into pug raids and guilds, and the most important part of gearing up quickly. Being able to heal in wfs helps you win, too.

As for joining a guild, my very first sentence is "Join a guild you want to raid with in the future.".

Quote Originally Posted by Simplici7y View Post
    This is not about "how to get T3 ready quickly", because different people have different goals. Someone might want to join a guild and progress igp/hk with them, why not?

If you want to get to T3 asap, you shouldnt whine about t2 being rehashed content, just like you shouldn't whine about IAs being boring for notoriety/weekly farm. If you don't want to do boring stuff, don't expect to get gear quickly, as simple as that.

You don't need to, no. But being able to play different roles is no. 1 thing that will get you into pug raids and guilds, and the most important part of gearing up quickly. Being able to heal in wfs helps you win, too.

As for joining a guild, my very first sentence is "Join a guild you want to raid with in the future.".
    Well, Im glad that at this point I dont have to go into a philosophical discussion what people should or shouldnt expect in 2016. Trion themselves sees the need for change and introduces the "Universal Intro Mode 2.0."

And while Im a bit sceptical with the "stats on the fly" idea, there is the potential, that newcommers can get a glimpse of current tier there. And guilds can do alt runs and if they see a pugger that has potential (because he performs well, plays needed roles etc.) send him a whisper "hey wanna join our guild, we do normal mode with our main team."
    Last edited by Ongar; 05-08-2016 at 11:05 PM.

+ Reply to Thread