+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Pagura - Curse of Four mechanic

Rift Disciple

Default Pagura - Curse of Four mechanic

So here is my understanding of the Curse of Four mechanic:

Pagura casts Curse of Four. There's 4 red pizza slices on the ground. Each pizza slice gets one raider and then each raider takes damage and gets a Cursed debuff. If someone fails to get into their pizza slice, then the entire raid takes damage from Hex of Failure.

Is there more to this mechanic because our raid gets Hex of Failure seemingly at random times. We have gotten Hexes where each of the 4 designated people have taken damage and gotten a Cursed Debuff.

Here are some theories that we have tried to prove/disprove:

1. Having more people in the pizza slices will cause Hex - I'm pretty sure this is not true. We have put extra people in the pizza slices many times without triggering Hex.

2. People need to either be in the red pizza slice when the graphic comes up, or get into it quicker. - This has potential. Maybe the Hex of Failure isn't tied to the Cursed debuff and the Hex check happens before the Curse check.

3. People need to stay in the red pizza slice until 1-2 seconds after the graphic goes away - This has potential too because we know we can't rely on graphics in this game.

4. People in melee should avoid doing the Curse mechanic - I'm pretty sure this isn't true because we've had multiple tanks/dps in melee and not gotten Hex.

RIFT Guide Writer

Hex of Failure check happens 1s before red goes away.
    Meciel - Mage - Defer Death - Greybriar
    12/12 T1, 14/15 T2, 1/9 T3

Plane Touched

As I understand it (and I could be wrong, and would love to know it I am)...

There is a cast (cast bar fulling up) and a down channel (cast bar emptying). If you are in the red aoe when the down channel finishes, you get the debuff and will be killed if you are in it again. HOWEVER, that does not mean you stopped Hex of Failure from being cast.

To stop Hex of Failure, you need to be in position BEFORE the red appears, i.e. you need to be in the red 100% of down channel time. Think of it as you are absorbing the red aoe, and if you dont get all of it he can cast Hex.

What this amounts to is, is you need to be in position on the up channel (as the bar is filling) and if you are not there before he starts the down channel, you will fail the mechanic.

NMT T1: Cleared
    NMT T2: 10/11 HK | 4/4 iGP HM

Telaran

We do see seemingly random failures on this mechanic when we do it in a pretty consistent way, i'm not convinced it isn't bugged but we haven't had it fail multiple times in a row where it would cause a wipe.

Plane Walker

You just have to have at least 1 people in every slice when debuff happens. Failing to have a person in some of the slices, causes hex of failure to happen. ( no matter how many people you have in other slices).
    I dont think we ever had random failure when doing it right. Most of time it was tank standing in wrong slice or somebody else.
    Same principle apply to curse of five and curse of six, you just add slices and each slice needs to have at least 1 person on it. You can also have more people as long as you have 1 in each, it doesnt trigger hex of failure.
    Last edited by ReveBeck; 11-17-2015 at 12:53 PM.
    Ambroo- Apotheosys

Quote Originally Posted by ReveBeck View Post
    You just have to have at least 1 people in every slice when debuff happens. Failing to have a person in some of the slices, causes hex of failure to happen. ( no matter how many people you have in other slices).
    I dont think we ever had random failure when doing it right. Most of time it was tank standing in wrong slice or somebody else.
    Same principle apply to curse of five and curse of six, you just add slices and each slice needs to have at least 1 person on it. You can also have more people as long as you have 1 in each, it doesnt trigger hex of failure.
    I don't think we've ever had a pull that didn't cast hex of failure when we only had 4 people eat the debuff. It very obviously applies the debuff on the raid frames, and if we only had 1 person in each red for four, the curse went off every time.
    It still isn't consistent, but I think the way we worked around it was to have 6 people eat the debuff each time a curse is cast.
    NA#1 T-Rex. One of the token aussies for -Lemme Smash-
    RIP Coriolis.

PrancingTurtle online log parser

We had this same problem happening multiple times and put it down to either people not getting in the red early enough, or possibly needing 6 people in total AND minimum 1 in each.

We made a backup system whereby the tanks always take beams 1 and 2 with a melee and ranged person covering each of the other ones. This means if its people being slow, we have 2 chances to not trigger it, if it's needing 5/6 people we're still covered. Either way, we stopped having the problem.

I made an epic drawing in paint to visualize this!

It's pretty accurate for Curse of 4 and Curse of 6. For Curse of 5, 1,2,3 and 4 shift left a bit and 5 comes straight out the right side.

For the 2nd Curse of 4, the people doing 5 and 6 cover it.

We are currently actively recruiting, if you are an exceptional player of any class please find an officer in game for a chat - Guild info is Here

CoA 6/6 (World 1st NM, 5th HM) - iROTP 4/4 (EU 1st Non-cheese kill!) - TD Normal 4/4 (World 2nd)

Quote Originally Posted by Wilkoss View Post
    I could swear you need to rotate that 30 degree for it to be accurate for curse of 6

Great artwork though!
    Last edited by trionsaur REX; 11-18-2015 at 02:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wilkoss View Post

Damn thats a fine piece of artwork. Mine are just a little simpler - my guildies know ****s going down when I make a paint special of a mechanic

Thanks for the journey RIFT - It's been fun

You guys know Garfield? That's Lia.

You might like my Arak P2 one too

We are currently actively recruiting, if you are an exceptional player of any class please find an officer in game for a chat - Guild info is Here

CoA 6/6 (World 1st NM, 5th HM) - iROTP 4/4 (EU 1st Non-cheese kill!) - TD Normal 4/4 (World 2nd)

Telaran

Are you going to have a diagram for every boss?

Depends how well my kickstarter campaign goes.

We've had the same issue, Tech. It's not as simple as "one person in each red section and each one gets a debuff" because we've failed plenty of times to curse of 4 with one in each section and each of them getting the debuff. I suspect it's either them not getting in fast enough or not staying in long enough. You can have more than one in each red.

PS - dem paint skillz

Rift Disciple

Thanks for all the information in this thread. We have gotten around the Curse mechanic by basically throwing half of our raid into each Curse of Four and making sure that people are either in the pizza slice when the red spawns or move into it as quickly as possible. This has stopped us from getting Hexed for the most part.

+ Reply to Thread