+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree6Likes

Click here to go to the first Rift Team post in this thread.   Thread: My staff finally dropped!

Quote Originally Posted by MaxQuest View Post
    Just curious, after completing the first run... was it really fun to run it 99 times more?
    And if you are frustrated with RNG, what would you propose in exchange for that system?

Not being sacrastic, rather really interested.
    craftring alternative solution. costing a lot, but at least giving you want you want if you can put the effort in it.

A smart move (that no MMO will ever do for it'll deplete content quicker) is to make an algorithm based on funnelling RNG (constricting it) to the variables available at hand rather than all the variables.

I.e. 2 warriors, 3 clerics in group? Assuming there are 100 items that can drop with 1 - 100 # attached to each of them and all the warrior items are tagged 1 - 25 and all the cleric items are tagged 26 - 50 with some trinket overlap with rogues/mages so 90 - 100.

Instead of rolling 1 - 100 blankly, you'd force a weighted roll where the roll would be 1 - 25, 1(2) - 25(2), 26 - 50, 26(2) - 50(2), 26(3) - 50(3), 90 - 100.

In that if the roll lands in between 1 - 25 or 1(2) - 25(2) [because there are two warriors], you'd get a warrior item slotted to that absolute number to drop.

But you see how that'd dilute expert content? You'd get all your items you need within 100 experts tops (significantly less if you are the only one of your class) and no one would run experts anymore.

Of course, if this is implemented, people would be sad about not getting the right ROLE drops (tank/DPS) and we'd start this cycle all over again.

Quote Originally Posted by MaxQuest View Post
    Just curious, after completing the first run... was it really fun to run it 99 times more?
    And if you are frustrated with RNG, what would you propose in exchange for that system?

Not being sacrastic, rather really interested.
    Reduce the loot table size.

15 loots on one boss is just ridiculous.
    Cheesecakesandwich - Mage 70 | Wrecking - Warrior 70
    Italiansausage - Cleric 70 | Snaplemouton - Rogue 67
    Primalsandwich - Primalist 70
    I'm a grand connoisseur of the most delicate dish known as the poutine.

Quote Originally Posted by Solaxys View Post
    A smart move (that no MMO will ever do for it'll deplete content quicker) is to make an algorithm based on funnelling RNG (constricting it) to the variables available at hand rather than all the variables. <...>
    From all the drops it does seem that Trion was having a hand in guiding the RNG of the drops, just in the wrong way. Everytime we forgot to take a cleric with us, it was like 90% chance (well maybe I'm hyperbolising it a little bit, but just a little bit!) to get a cleric purple and half of cleric blues... It could be "exchange 12 cleric purples for the one you want" and you're fully geared in no time :P Well, at least we have runes.

We're still doing Iron Tombs every day with a warrior and a mage who still want their 2H weapons... guess we're just too stubborn to let go. It's a quick run anyways.

I stopped playing like they want. Now I set my own goals. If I like to do IA's in Shimmersand or stillmur, I'l do them.

The best way probably is to have tokens drop instead of gear and all the gear is available in the Rift Store or some NPC whatever that lets you trade this token(s) for the gear you want. RNG element could be applied with the token drop being 'for warrior only' or 'for rogue only' etc...

Idk...
    Serale@Faeblight

I was expecting this to be about you running IT 1000 times, and then your staff finally dropping and having a cleric take it because BIS.
    <Coriolis>
    Archemys

Ral
    Rift Master

Quote Originally Posted by Meowy View Post
    The best way probably is to have tokens drop instead of gear and all the gear is available in the Rift Store or some NPC whatever that lets you trade this token(s) for the gear you want. RNG element could be applied with the token drop being 'for warrior only' or 'for rogue only' etc...

Idk...
    This is actually how raid gear originally dropped, it caused massive drama and was replaced with the currency system, i doubt they will go back to it, but it seems they are also reluctant to continue the currency system.

NT has made dungeon gear the best possible (and in some case the only possible) option for gear progression before raids. This means people have to suffer the cruelty of randomness.

The OP's situation is not surprising, in fact it is actually expected that it would happen to someone, there has to be that <1% that never sees a specific drop and there is <1% that always sees it. In this case it was the same person, which is maybe a <0.01 percentile.

The problem is that unlike SL there is no other options. Crafted weapons and ACM weapons are both an entire quality level down even when the former is upgraded, the latter having no such option at all. On weapons the quality tier can be a significant difference, especially for a two hand weapon or for DPS. There is no weapon options at all for Void Stones outside of the aforementioned inadequate crafting upgrades.

At launch SL offered dungeon equivalent (and in some cases better) gear for armor and weapons not to mention also offering neck and rings (which are now not available) for both dungeon and world marks. Additionally some of the crafted gear was better then dungeon gear even at a quality tier below because of augments. In some cases it was arguably as good as some T1 raid drops, esp with Marvelous Augments. And it didn't even need to be upgraded.

I felt this multiple road accessibility to quality gear for significant effort was a great way to keep currency generating content relevant while at the same time offering a smoothing option to the randomness of a set of dropped gear which albeit often a faster option for a subset of gear, was rarely faster in completeness and not at all predictable nor reliable like currency systems are.

In NT all these systems were thrown out despite still being limited by the currency caps. Now we must suffer the unforgiving <1% ranges of RNG or simply forgo entire tiers of gear in such undesirable but inevitable cases and rely on over gearing and luck in the RNG of raids.
    Last edited by Ral; 12-19-2014 at 11:02 AM.

This was evident towards the end of SL when the NT souls were made available. It wasn't an issue then since many had all the gear they needed from the dungeons. Some comments were made by the community but I guess we weren't vocal enough (or Trion didn't want to make any changes to the expanding loot table).

10.   This is the last Rift Team post in this thread.   #25
    Rift Team

Quote Originally Posted by Ral View Post
    Crafted weapons and ACM weapons are both an entire quality level down even when the former is upgraded, the latter having no such option at all. On weapons the quality tier can be a significant difference, especially for a two hand weapon or for DPS. There is no weapon options at all for Void Stones outside of the aforementioned inadequate crafting upgrades.
    Crafting is planned to be expanded to higher tiers. We don't yet have an ETA when that will be, but if I were a betting man, it would be some time during the cycle of 3.1 - not at the launch of it.

~Daglar

Soulwalker

Maybe one day itll be worth something to spend my 30k+ void stones on =(

And I'm one of those still farming IT for a weapon and/or trinket.

Blah.

Quote Originally Posted by Daglar View Post
    Crafting is planned to be expanded to higher tiers. We don't yet have an ETA when that will be, but if I were a betting man, it would be some time during the cycle of 3.1 - not at the launch of it.

~Daglar
    Any chance of telling us when 3.1 is coming out?
    Is it around the corner or 6 months away?

I have started to save void stones for 20 Void
    Accelerators (a lot) to upgrade my crafted weapon but now that crafting is getting some new recipes I don't want to upgrade anything I've crafted till I see what's new. Which leads me to ask can you tell us what new crafting recipes will be better than the one's we have so we don't upgrade gear that will then be under the new recipes. Just a list of items without stats will be good if possible.
    Mickdayblind NA Defiant

RIFT Guide Writer

Quote Originally Posted by MickNico View Post
    Any chance of telling us when 3.1 is coming out?
    Is it around the corner or 6 months away?
    They already said 3.1 was planned for right after new years.
    Meciel - Mage - Defer Death - Greybriar
    12/12 T1, 14/15 T2, 1/9 T3

Quote Originally Posted by Daglar View Post

~Daglar
    any details you can share on the "expanded" crafting?

I finally got my staff!!!!!!!!
    It didn't drop from Citadel but from... a Fae Yule Bonus Loot.
    All I wanted for christmas was my staff. And I got it in a gift box.

I just can't believe the irony of this...

About 100 runs of citadel on my mage. 0 staff drop.
    2 total run on my warrior. 2 staff drop.

And I get it from a box when I said an hour before opening the fae yule box: All I want for christmas is my staff.
    Last edited by Snap; 12-23-2014 at 05:31 PM.
    Cheesecakesandwich - Mage 70 | Wrecking - Warrior 70
    Italiansausage - Cleric 70 | Snaplemouton - Rogue 67
    Primalsandwich - Primalist 70
    I'm a grand connoisseur of the most delicate dish known as the poutine.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2