+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Help and advice with the gearing proces as a Warrior Tank

Soulwalker

Default Help and advice with the gearing proces as a Warrior Tank

Hey guys,

I'm a lvl 60 Bahmi warrior named Kendarik, currently gearing up my (paladin) warrior trough dailies and farming SLE's. My stats currently are (and do take note they might change daily)
    - Endurance: 3795 (42420 hp)
    - Hit: 369
    - Toughness: 350
    - Parry: 1202 (5.10%)
    - Dodge: 841 (3.57%)
    - Block: 1797 (22.88%)

As stated above, I'm currently very actively farming dailies for Infinity Stones and Expert dungeons for Slayer Marks. But I have crossed a bump in the gearing-road.

Every item available right now at the vendor are downgrades. With the current focus of people asking PuG's for T1 raids are purely focused on HP (and thus endurance) and Hit, The gear available from vendors mainly give defensive stats in the form of dodge/parry or block. With nearly every item (even if I follow the upgrade path to the end) I lose quite alot of endurance and a fraction of hit. Even so far, that SLE boots available from the vendor give me a loss of 7 endurance, on the fully upgraded version. Now this might seem a small loss, but if you multiply it with 13 slots (counting weapons and accessorees), its 91 endurance (generally) that I lose. That is 1 itemslot. And with the current focus on health instead of avoidance....

Now my questing was, is there any advice you can give me regarding gearing up? It takes weeks for me to farm enough Infinity stones in order to gain a slight upgrade (mostly meaning 2 upgrades on 1 item) wich makes the proces rather slow and tedious. Also SLE's seem to refuse me any kind of drop for tanking, or it usually is an item I already have or with worse stats (deflect instead of parry for example).

Any advice on how to solve this would be very much appreciated.
    Thank you in advance, and kind regards
    Alturius 4 - Kendarik, Geleidra

Soulwalker

It's hard to make any specific recommendations to you without seeing your gear, but here are some general suggestions from a fellow tank (albeit a cleric) who went through the same issues.

- Judging from your hit and your toughness there is still quite a bit of gear for you to obtain before hitting raids. You can reach 424 hit and 400 toughness using vendor and expert dungeon gear. Generally pieces that upgrade your hit will upgrade your endurance as a tank, except for some exceptions like extremely good crafted pieces, which the other stats, such as dodge/block/parry and armor should make worthwhile anyways.

- The HP expectations of PUGs are very high at times, and not really what you can get easily as a new raider. Those requirements of 60k hp or so keep those runs getting experienced and already geared tanks. Really, you want to be running with a guild, this way you can get in with 50k hp, which is a much more reasonable goal to reach, Depending on your guild of course

- The most important things to worry about when trying to increase your hp are runes, and essences. Having even just auroral endurance runes in all slots available will drastically increase your total hp, and extremely good essences can be gained through Torvan Hunter rep and infinity stones, and even just making sure you have level 60 essences can make a huge difference. You can also get the Torvan Hunter Cape, which is extremely good as well for the same currency and rep requirements

- If a vendor item is a downgrade in a slot, then you probably already are good in that slot. Focus on getting all items that have hit on them, up to 53 Hit, and all items with toughness on them to 100 toughness each. These general guidelines should direct you in the correct way as far as which gear is the best. This is the type of gear that drops out of SLE's and can be bought for smaller amounts of Empyreal Slayer's Marks. You can also get them via lock boxes, and double or even triple upgrading infinity stone gear, but neither of these methods is really terribly efficient in my opinion.

- I know the grind can get rough, but keep pushing. If your main goal is to try and get into raids, then do some research. Get your base requirements that are reasonable, research the fights and then start messaging people who are hosting raids. If the only thing you're missing is an achievement, message the person and tell them you know the fight because you watched the video. The worst they could say is no, in which case just tell them thanks anyways and go on with your life. Despite the crazy "520+ hit" and "70K+ HP" and Rapid Assault achievement requests, these can be done without, and quite smoothly with a little bit of work. I tanked Intrepid: Drowned Halls on my cleric with 50k hp and 400 hit, all the way through. Sure we had to work a bit, but it was possible.

TL;DR Don't give up, meet the base requirements and do your research
    Last edited by Spinix; 06-03-2014 at 07:01 PM. Reason: Formatting and word choice errors

Soulwalker

First of all, thanks for the rather quick reply I was intending to farm SLE's anyway, cause of the gear drops (as you said) but as with any other game that has RNG involved in it, I'm always unlucky when it comes to gear drops. As like now, I have only seen 2 tank pieces drop for me so far, and I do around 2-3 SLE's each day. So my question was mainly intended in the sense of 'what if I cant get SLE gear'. But still, thanks for the answer it was really helpfull

I do, however, have 1 more question, if it is not to rude to ask. Is there any recommended, updated guide I can consult for warrior? I have searced both google and forums, and most guides are about previous patches, other classes or even previous tiers. I don't know if they are reliable and can be used

Soulwalker

The emperyeal slayer's mark bought gear is your best option as, after a single upgrade, it is equal to all the best SLE drops you can get, if you can't get your drops, which is completely understandable.

I honestly don't know much about specific guides for any classes. Googling and looking around the guides section of the forums is definately your best bet for a guide.
    I can't look around for any guides for you at this moment as I would like to, but I can do so later today when I am at home. I know RoughRaptors makes some pretty decent guides as far as warrior tanking, and I think those are updated to atleast 2.5 which should give you a general gist of things, but don't be afraid to read your spells and talent trees. It may seem difficult and imposing, but find a spam skill, find a finisher, find your moves that are based on oppertunity, decide what to do in aoe situations, locate your taunts and cc, build some macros. You'll be well on your way

The other thing you could, that I suppose that would go along with having a guild, perhaps you could find another warrior tank to help mentor you and explain what he or she thinks and how they do it. Or even just another experienced player in general.

Hmm the first thing would be to farm torvan and lycini reputation to get the lessers... Those are gonna give you a huge boost.

Craft helmet and belt with Marvelous Rugged Augment. That will make these slots pretty much bis for t1 range. Generally speaking crafted items with that augment are on par or better than t1 items. Participate in all drr's especially the ones in Dendrome/Steppes, and if opportunity for roll on tanking essence is there - go for it
    Last edited by radiomaryja; 06-04-2014 at 05:54 AM.

Soulwalker

Along with crafting your helmet and belt, you can also get some really nice crafted rings that are high expert level and can be augmented as well.

Soulwalker

Cheers all for the replies I'm going to make work of it, as soon after my exams (hence the slow reply), and between the moments I grow tired of Wildstar
    Again, great and many thanks for helping me out!! cheers ^^

+ Reply to Thread