+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Question to DEV: Boulders on Mallaven

Shadowlander

Default Question to DEV: Boulders on Mallaven

In the Bindings of Blood: Laethys Raid there is "mini-boss" Mallaven who is casting mechanic "Boulder Heave" and throwing boulders on the random person in the raid.
    After landing on the ground boulder is doing some cast for a few seconds and have to be killed very fast or it will explode making damage and spawning 3 adds.

But at the moment some guilds solve this mechanic by another way - just during Mallaven's cast "Boulder Heave" everybody run away very fast to not get hit by boulder when it lands on the ground. If nobody get hit - boulder stops his cast and doesn't explode or spawn adds.

Killing and not killing (ignoring) boulders - is huge difference on overall DPS check of encounter.

So the question is this intended way to sort out this mechaninc? Or It's a bug/exploit and will be fixed soon?
    Last edited by Catqueen; 05-19-2014 at 11:19 PM.

RIFT Guide Writer

Quote Originally Posted by Catqueen View Post
    So the question is this intended way to sort out this mechaninc? Or It's a bug/exploit and will be fixed soon?
    The mechanic itself is designed so that you run away before the boulder hits the ground because if you stay put you will be kicked backwards and receive damage. We also noticed that sometimes the cast of the boulder will not start. The mechanic is quite unreliable because sometimes it starts right away, sometimes after 4 secs and sometimes not at all.

We could not find out what we do differently when the cast does not start right away or not at all. I do not think that any of our raid member gets hit by the boulder because no one is kicked backwards and yet sometimes the cast starts and sometimes not. I just decided for me to solve the mystery by thinking it's just not reliable.

Regards,
    RePyH

We managed to kill it yesterday, with every boulder being pewpewed. We had all casts on it right from the start, so I guess that's how it is intended. I would say if you don't get a cast it's a bug. Some people also said, that at times they felt like casting on boulder started before it actually showed up.

If it's just a bug then it sure happens pretty darn often. If you leave it up it'll end up exploding anyway after a period of time even with no cast bar. When those adds spawn they spawn instantly and it can be difficult for the tank too pick them up from range if someone hairband to git them first.

The boulder starts casting when it takes damage, if it hits people when it is thrown it can proc deal damage when hit buffs/abilties.

Rift Chaser

Boulders will also shatter and spawn adds if another nearby boulder shatters as well. This means 8+ of the little buggers at once and happy fun time for whichever tank picks them up.
    Garbageday - mediocre Cleric Tank / Raid Lead for -Vendetta- (Greybriar) - 4/4 Rhen of Fate, 4/5 Mount Sharax

GDAAAY NOOOOO

I kinda liked this fight you could load ST dps and have them switch or go in with a few AE and ignore boulder, now that its easy to beat with just out ranging the boulder I am sad. Oh well where there is a will there is someone trying some crazy stuff to get around mechanics.
    Rebooting initiated... Loading Crayons 2.0

I bet you that shatter ability requires a hostile target, hence why it doesn't cast it if no one triggers it.

Even though it feels like it ought to be a mechanic that doesn't require a target.

Drop, spawn, start channel. etc
    So long, and thanks for all the fish~

Quote Originally Posted by meph1111 View Post
    it can be difficult for the tank too pick them up from range if someone hairband to git them first.
    lol way too late to edit but yeah phone autocorrects ftl xD

Quote Originally Posted by MoonfireSpam View Post
    I bet you that shatter ability requires a hostile target, hence why it doesn't cast it if no one triggers it.

Even though it feels like it ought to be a mechanic that doesn't require a target.

Drop, spawn, start channel. etc
    I made it a point to hit every boulder briefly right when it spawned even though the rest of the raid was just burning and through the night we had more boulders bug out and not cast than we did that worked. Guess we got super lucky and had all but one actually work for our kill shot.

12/12 | 3/4

+ Reply to Thread