+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Why is Beastmaster considered bad?

Default Why is Beastmaster considered bad?

I'm a t1 geared warrior and I really like how Beastmaster is played. I think its a fun spec and I enjoy getting to use it in raids.

Why is BM never wanted as a raid support over pyrochon?

I mean BM has all the generic raid buffs as well as Enrage, which increases the entire raid's dmg and crit chance by 5% and crit power by 10% for 10s every minute.

Command to Stand Ground is such an insanely awesome ability for big raid dmg and Command to Recover isn't that bad either. Command to Attack is, of course, pretty standard.

Primal Lucidity in combination with Call of the Forest essentially reduces cast time by 10% on all raid members for almost the entire fight.

It just seems to me that BM brings a lot to a raid.

The reason I'm asking, though, is I don't know everything about the other support specs. So why is it that BM isn't a preferred support spec over the others?

Thanks.

because archon brings all of that and has the same dps at range plus double lava field as well as some other utility. BM is used on specific fights for its purge. the two defensive commands aren't really used because they're too siturational. if you can't survive something without the commands, then it's going to kill you anyway because they're on 5 minute cooldowns.
    Last edited by Fiskerton; 05-10-2014 at 06:28 PM.
    ~ | Fiskerton | Fiskermage | Fiskerheals | Fiskerbear | ~

I'm a homeless stray of a raider

Quote Originally Posted by Fiskerton View Post
    because archon brings all of that and has the same dps at range plus double lava field as well as some other utility. BM is used on specific fights for its purge. the two defensive commands aren't really used because they're too siturational. if you can't survive something without the commands, then it's going to kill you anyway because they're on 5 minute cooldowns.
    I dunno, I'm kinda dissatisfied with that reasoning.

For one, I don't see archons pulling over 10k on average. Secondly, having lava field is great and all but its only a 5% dmg buff for 6s.

BM has Primal lucidity as a 6s dmg boost and ENRAGE, which is the ONLY crit power boost to raid dmg in the game.

i know what you mean by the commands but every fight has predictable bursts of damage and while they're certainly very useful in situational fights like Crucia (for orbitals) they can certainly be helpful in any other fight if used appropriately.

The only reason I've heard that makes the most sense is that losing out a full dmg specced mage dps is not as bad as losing out on full warrior dps.

Quote Originally Posted by McJagger View Post
    For one, I don't see archons pulling over 10k on average. Secondly, having lava field is great and all but its only a 5% dmg buff for 6s.
    Your archons are terrible if they can't pull 10k dps average.

Lava Field lasts for 6 seconds, but it applies a buff for 5 seconds that lasts after the lava field disappears. The damage is not 5% but 15%. Enrage is better, but not as much as you think.

Beastmaster suffers greatly from target switching, is a melee spec, and takes a long time to build up its dps that comes from its bleeding effect. It also doesn't bring the 5 minutes debuff that makes the bard/oracle job so much easier. Also, archon is much easier to play.

As a last factor, you'll find very few warriors willing to play beastmaster compared to mages willing to play archon. You'll even find players who are dedicated to playing archon.

I personally think beastmaster is really cool, but all these factors make archon a prefered spec.
    <Apotheosys>@Typhiria
    World First 5-man Easy Mode 1/4 GP

Rift Disciple

10k dps is fairly low even for T1 gear, 14-15k is usual for pyrochon, 16-18k for harbchon on ST. I don't play archon specs much but they are not very complex and I am doing 18-21k with pyrochon and 20-25k with harbchon (depending on fight, number of targets) and I have seen blademark harbchon doing 31k on FT twins, so BM doesn't get anywhere close to archon hybrids in terms of dps. Archon hybrids however don't have cast time and auto attack delay buffs, because those require more than 40 points in archon.

Got it. Thanks for the responses guys. It took a while for me to be convinced but I had to learn what I could about the other specs to really understand where BM is at.

I really like the spec and I think it's awesome but its apparent to me now that its in a weak state.

Well-played, BM is very solid. I ran the 54/18/4 spec for Thrax a couple weeks back in my new guild, and I was doing ~20k while still providing all the things a Pyrochon could.

BM is pretty fun, but Pyrochons and Harbchons do pretty much the same thing, with better target switching/AoE. It's really just going to come down to your guild and what works for them.
    Seranii@Greybriar - 60 Eth Warrior
    | SL: 11/12 T2, 5/8 T3 | NT: X/X T1 |
    < Dirty Casual until 3.0 >
    "One day you'll hang your head as you realize,
    You've heard it all but didn't listen to a word."

+ Reply to Thread