Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: Age vs Reaction in Raiding

Default Age vs Reaction in Raiding

So I'm going on to being mid 30's
    Bit of an OG (Original Gamer) some competitive quakeworld, CS all that sort of stuff.
    Back in those days confidence 100%, don't care who it is, Ill bend you over. Didn't need to think, magic just happened.
    + 5 years
    Reaction slows a little bit have to replace reaction with some intuition.
    + 5 years
    FPS GG and start raiding
    + 5 years
    Things are just harder. Have to use your brain occasionally (FML), get by on experience having seen every boss mechanic, not much new getting around.

I'm not saying older people are useless cos Im sure there's plenty of OC's (work it out for yourself) that will get on their high horse. Also not saying you can't be aging and still competent....

Question is though, is there an age threshold where you came to the realisation your just not what you used to be and things just got a lottabit harder than they used to be and derps start creeping in occasionally? Peny for your thoughts.

Everyone fatigues, otherwise you'd see 40yo 100m sprinters in the olympics, leave your ego at the door!
    Last edited by GoldChrish; 05-07-2014 at 07:54 PM.
    Chrish @ Wolfsbane

Rift Disciple

Tap into your Phenomenological Experience and your Wisdom!
    Notable screamer of things such as:
    "REDMACHINE!!!!", "REDMACHINE TROLLLLL!"

Rift is nowhere close in reactions requirement comparing to typical shooters. I don't think aging is an issue for mmorpgs, at not as much as in let's say Quake. I know some really skilled raiders that are 40+. It helps if you have competitive gaming background.

odds are you might consider macroing one or two things by the time you hit 70
    Last edited by Rahak; 05-08-2014 at 01:23 AM.
    stormhak stormbar stormkvinde kagestorm stormelver

i agree with this. things get slower, fingers start hurting lol.
    Last edited by Luteuel; 05-08-2014 at 08:53 AM.
    Rogue - <Ascendance>"
    Luteuel@Greybriar, formely Luteuel@Deepwood

If you were interested in a discussion or the anecdotes of others you wouldn't have started the discussion by having it with yourself and preemptively rejecting differing opinions on the premise that to disagree is egotistical or some other such nonsense.

Comparing fatigue in gamers to sprinters is ridiculous. You are arguing that because you started fatiguing around 20 and fatigued noticeably by your mid thirties and because there are no forty year old 100 meter olympic sprinters that it must be impossible for anyone to not have fatigued noticeably by their mid thirties and if anyone says otherwise it must because their have an inflated ego. You have the inflated ego if you believe it is inconceivable that anyone could fatigue at a slower rate than you have.

Mid thirties is not even the median age of an average lifespan in NA or EU and you're trying to establish that it is a given that gamers start declining at around 20?

Ascendant

I believe the average reaction time for someone in their 40's is .26 seconds?

Even then, most of what a gamer does is muscle memory, it is not often truly reaction based.
    Quote Originally Posted by wickede View Post
    please just stop posting your misinformation here
    Quote Originally Posted by Wickede
    how often you "snipe heals" is also important

MMO's have evolved as we have aged, so I don't think it's so much age as it is mmo design.

My first mmo was FFXI. You could pretty much stay stationary for most things, as the challenges were elsewhere. Fighting the Gods was about preparation, strategy, positioning, organization, and knowledge.

MMO's have evolved to require more "reaction" mechanics. Now, we have to watch for a bazillion different mechanics while playing Dance Dance Revolution on the floor, all the while still fulfilling the same responsibilities that older MMO's required and more.

Clicky clicky clicky, dance monkey! Man, we used to be able to hold 2 different chat conversations while raiding. Now you can't even take 2 seconds to type something without missing a global cooldown you were supposed to use!
    I piss excellence

Oh get real. I'm 53 and do as well as anyone in my guild. Fatigue? From sitting at a computer? How does that compare to a sprinter?

Soulwalker

I think this thread fits better for shooters/moba like games where reactions and precision actually matters..

I have went through pretty much same story as you have except I don't have any problems doing rift raiding mechanics at all. If I went back to shooters now, I'd have to outsmart younger players because I know I wouldn't be able to take them out all-in gunz blazing style like I used to..

Shield of Telara WriteThemWrong's Avatar

I just happened to be reading an article about this. Reaction speed does slow down, maybe even as early as 24, but older players compensate by being more efficient in what they do. I don't really see someone under 50 struggling to react to bright colors and verbal cues like those in MMO encounters.

Ascendant

I'd actually question if the researchers did a comparison of someone who dedicates their time playing SC2 to someone who does not.
    Quote Originally Posted by wickede View Post
    please just stop posting your misinformation here
    Quote Originally Posted by Wickede
    how often you "snipe heals" is also important

Quote Originally Posted by Vioarr View Post
    If you were interested in a discussion or the anecdotes of others you wouldn't have started the discussion by having it with yourself and preemptively rejecting differing opinions on the premise that to disagree is egotistical or some other such nonsense.

Comparing fatigue in gamers to sprinters is ridiculous. You are arguing that because you started fatiguing around 20 and fatigued noticeably by your mid thirties and because there are no forty year old 100 meter olympic sprinters that it must be impossible for anyone to not have fatigued noticeably by their mid thirties and if anyone says otherwise it must because their have an inflated ego. You have the inflated ego if you believe it is inconceivable that anyone could fatigue at a slower rate than you have.

Mid thirties is not even the median age of an average lifespan in NA or EU and you're trying to establish that it is a given that gamers start declining at around 20?
    Wow, your one of those people Deglar was talking about that over sensationalize things. Out of interest do you run a youtube channel about NASA covering up UFO's, creating conspiracies where there are none. Good for you.

Chrish @ Wolfsbane

your reaction should stay sharp if you maintain it
    Rift requires very little skill and is probably the reason why you feel your skills dropping and not age/fatigue

Champion

It is not a question of reaction only, which might be difficult for older people. More it is the question what you are used to do. Are you doing only what you are told, waiting for something that requires acting, laying down on your coach watching tv... or are you of unimpaired mental faculties, keen and interested at your environment?

I am 58 and playing since ages... with and without computer, just for the fun. I used to read, to learn new things and love to be up to date. I had and have to manage different live conditions when they occur. Would say, that applies to the most older guys and girls too.

I saw youngster not being able to avoid mechanics, being rooted as oaks in AoE's, having reactions like a sleeping pill... It is not a question of old or young, but of being keen and quick, brain trained.

And yes, some intuition occurs also here and there...
    Melandra @ Entity @ Zaviel
    A cynic is a man who knows the price of everything and the value of nothing.
    - Lady Windermere's Fan [Oscar Wilde] -

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast