Closed Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 55
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: Age vs Reaction in Raiding

  1. #16
    Plane Touched Sacria's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    243

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GoldChrish View Post
    So I'm going on to being mid 30's
    Bit of an OG (Original Gamer) some competitive quakeworld, CS all that sort of stuff.
    Back in those days confidence 100%, don't care who it is, Ill bend you over. Didn't need to think, magic just happened.
    + 5 years
    Reaction slows a little bit have to replace reaction with some intuition.
    + 5 years
    FPS GG and start raiding
    + 5 years
    Things are just harder. Have to use your brain occasionally (FML), get by on experience having seen every boss mechanic, not much new getting around.
    Uhm, you're probably just not playing as much as you use to. Or not as focused as you use to be..
    I've been playing games since I was 8 til now and I've noticed none of the things you say.

  2. #17
    Telaran Valkeo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    92

    Default

    30. Don't macro anything other than %t on a rez macro.

    Reaction time is sharp as ever. I also have 2 kids.. and I've definitely had to pirouette while holding a baby in one hand, a plate of food balancing my coffee in the other while ensuring that my other foot does not land on a lego block as I make my way toward the pot of boiling water to stir it with a knife before using the still-raised leg to close the dishwasher door.

    In other words.. I think you're a sharp as the environment around you. ;) Keep yourself refined and you'll stay quick.

    FORGED IN THE HELLFIRE OF MOLTEN CORE!!@#!@
    Kilden@Greybriar
    <Silhouette> Lv 24 Social/Raiding Guild
    We raid 3 days a week at 6 server. Interested? Check out our requirements to join!
    4/4 RoF 1/5 MS (RIP Pre-3.0 8/9 T1 2/4 GA 1/5 PBB)

  3. #18
    Champion
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    529

    Default

    If I could I would give more than 1 like... you made my day! ;)

    Melandra @ Entity @ Zaviel
    A cynic is a man who knows the price of everything and the value of nothing.
    - Lady Windermere's Fan [Oscar Wilde] -

  4. #19
    Rift Chaser VolitheBear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    308

    Default

    From personal experience I notice a difference while playing Moba/PFS when i was 20 and now at 25, I do feel that my reaction time has slowed down, but most likely due to IRL commitments and not being able to play as much to maintain the same level of sharpness as before.

    Now for MMO's I haven't noticed any change, except that I found out that the older I'm getting the less tolerance I have towards trolls/ragers/QQ-er's...

    But yeah, make sure you get your coffee fix and stay away from puffing the magic pipe before playing and you won't have problems

  5. #20
    Rift Master
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    623

    Default

    Back in the days of warcrack, my guild leader was a 65yo Canuck grandma who loved to pvp with her grandson and raid. I've found as I get older I'm less inclined to invest significant hours into gaming. +1 for getting comfortable with spamalot macros.

  6. #21
    Ascendant Vioarr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    2,433

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GoldChrish View Post
    Wow, your one of those people Deglar was talking about that over sensationalize things. Out of interest do you run a youtube channel about NASA covering up UFO's, creating conspiracies where there are none. Good for you.

    Go home or get better troll; I hear they give lessons over at /b/ if you choose the latter.

  7. #22
    Rift Chaser GoldChrish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    356

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vioarr View Post
    Go home or get better troll; I hear they give lessons over at /b/ if you choose the latter.
    lol. Well I suppose yes, it is after all a thread trolling myself as a has been. Well done for trolling the troll that trolls himself openly in a thread.

    Since were labeling each other, I pick u as a raid caller or someone vocal in raid so u can play back and jerk off to the sound of your own voice. How'd I go?
    Chrish @ Wolfsbane

  8. #23
    Soulwalker Enzichan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    13

    Default

    I'm closing in on 30 and I know I'm not what I used to be. Sonic the Hedgehog was a walk in the park for me when I was in my early teens, but it's a challenge for me now. I think it's because I don't have the time to game (practice) as much as I used to. I've not been in a raid since warcraft a couple years ago, but I could still keep up with what was going on, often more so than the younger gamers (my big complaint is the other paladin not using auras and buffs properly, but that's another story). I say keep doing what you love and everything will fall into place as you get comfortable with it. Keep in mind games are different than when we were kids so it takes some getting used to sometimes ^.^;
    ~*~Enzeru/Enzi@Deepwood~*~


  9. #24
    Ascendant
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    1,671

    Default

    while it is true that many studies show that reaction time slows down in your early 20's and so does brain processing FYI, the greater knowledge, wisdom and experience has also been shown to compensate for this slow down and then some.

    studies also show that older adults who continue to game maintain better reaction times for longer and even older adults who start playing games regularly can improve brain function and reaction times

    TLDR: 1. age and experience beat youth 2. gaming is good for you

    I can still react faster and do mechanics better than people half my age...
    as long as its not past my bedtime
    Quote Originally Posted by Frailaq View Post

    tl;dr - Trion should do this: Melee = Turret Ranged > Mobile Ranged

  10. #25
    Ascendant Byaku's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,556

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Katosu View Post
    Even then, most of what a gamer does is muscle memory, it is not often truly reaction based.
    Normal
    Slow Mo

  11. #26
    Ascendant Vioarr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    2,433

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GoldChrish View Post
    lol. Well I suppose yes, it is after all a thread trolling myself as a has been. Well done for trolling the troll that trolls himself openly in a thread.

    Since were labeling each other, I pick u as a raid caller or someone vocal in raid so u can play back and jerk off to the sound of your own voice. How'd I go?
    You must be new, to everything.

  12. #27
    Rift Chaser GoldChrish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    356

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vioarr View Post
    You must be new, to everything.
    I guess as an attempt to keep this post relevant to the thread, I find it..... interesting that your posts are almost in sync with the back story in my OP, that I tried to use as a personal reference to give substance to the thread. Like a bull at a gate, to mediocre, to completely out of steam. How old are you out of interest, maybe you've reached your threshold that I was originally asking about but you just don't know it....or denial maybe...?
    Chrish @ Wolfsbane

  13. #28
    Ascendant Vioarr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    2,433

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GoldChrish View Post
    I guess as an attempt to keep this post relevant to the thread, I find it..... interesting that your posts are almost in sync with the back story in my OP, that I tried to use as a personal reference to give substance to the thread. Like a bull at a gate, to mediocre, to completely out of steam. How old are you out of interest, maybe you've reached your threshold that I was originally asking about but you just don't know it....or denial maybe...?
    See, this is why you have to be trolling or worse. You are presenting an argument based solely on anecdotal evidence and arrogantly proclaiming it to be a universal truth. You've produced no evidence of past prowess or demonstrated how age is the predominant factor in your supposed decline that you haven't demonstrated. It could very well be age in your case but it could also be any of the other options proposed by participants in this thread. To start a thread under the guise of provoking conversation while at the same time preemptively rejecting any disagreement with your premise is ridiculous.

    I don't have to prove your premise incorrect, the burden of proof is yours for making the claim. The average age of our members and our track record in this game since launch, along with all previous games we've played, are public information available to anyone that isn't too addled by their ripe old age of mid-thirties to bother doing any measure of research before issuing obvious gibes.

    If I were so inclined I could produce evidence in favor of an argument that my ability has improved with time based on competitive results and could theorize that if properly studied it would be proven that practice, experience, and environment were the most significant factors and that age had a negligible effect. It would be pointless because I would only be proving a hypothesis about myself, not about gamers in general. That is your most significant failing in this endeavor and my main points I am trying to convey to you despite your apparent inability to comprehend.

    I am not interested in conversations that require me to blindly accept a premise nor do I choose to abide them.

  14. #29
    Shield of Telara Wilkoss's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    707

    Default

    So here is a question for the elite. How old roughly was the oldest person to get a world 1st or 2nd? I'm guessing there weren't many 40+. That might be down to reaction speed, or not wanting to get out of bed at 3am to start raiding on update day (RIP Legit), or not being able to raid 20 hours a week due to RL responsibilities.

    I would say past 50 and you are going to struggle to keep up. Im 34 and have the reactions of a cat. No one beats Wilkoss to first interrupt. No one .


    We are currently actively recruiting, if you are an exceptional player of any class please find an officer in game for a chat - Guild info is Here

    CoA 6/6 (World 1st NM, 5th HM) - iROTP 4/4 (EU 1st Non-cheese kill!) - TD Normal 4/4 (World 2nd)

  15. #30
    Plane Touched Grobari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    216

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wilkoss View Post
    So here is a question for the elite. How old roughly was the oldest person to get a world 1st or 2nd? I'm guessing there weren't many 40+. That might be down to reaction speed, or not wanting to get out of bed at 3am to start raiding on update day (RIP Legit), or not being able to raid 20 hours a week due to RL responsibilities.

    I would say past 50 and you are going to struggle to keep up. Im 34 and have the reactions of a cat. No one beats Wilkoss to first interrupt. No one .
    you old fart
    Maniaq@Greybriar

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts