Closed Thread
Page 1 of 30 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast
Like Tree339Likes

Click here to go to the first Rift Team post in this thread.   Thread: Rift: State of the Game.

Default Rift: State of the Game.

Hey everybody,

I've been meaning to make a post like this for some time. The intent of my post is to reflect upon and encourage discussion with regards to the current direction of rift, taking into perspective the recent changes and development within the game, and I'll get the ball rolling.

First of all I wanted to say that I'll happily set aside any personal grievances for the remainder of this thread and I would love if everyone else would too, after all we're people playing the same game so it would be wonderful if we could act civilised, even if just for a moment.

I'd also like to preface this by saying that I have played and enjoyed rift for over 3 years and by no means am I pleased that I'm having to write such negative things about the game.

1. Rift is being used to fund 3 other games which are not making a profit as well as itself.

Trions incredibly flawed business model has far reaching consequences on Rift and it is effectively being used as a cash cow to fund their other projects - we've all known this for a while now (since defiance was in the works - can anyone say flop?) but the cancerous effect it's having on the game is becoming more and more apparent as Trion pushes rift harder and harder to make money for its other games. This can be seen in multiple fascists of the game - the transition to F2P, the development of lockbox content, the implementation of a rushed T3 with no armour models to allow selling T2 gear on the store, the BiS PvP gear, runes, essences and consumes available for lockboxes, the prioritisation of a french maid outfit over T3 armour etc etc.

It's hard to blame the devs for having to cash grab like this - I hope it pains them as much as us to turn significant portions of them game into a gambling contest - when the company is demanding more and more money from the game, clearly failing to recognise the impact that these blantant cash grabs are having.

It's not like we can tell Trion to stop producing archage or trove (although seriously trove sucks you should can it - archage could be alright so keep going with that, if you need a successful business model look at blizzard, they never over extend themselves with multiple game designs at once and they have many many more resources than trion). Obviously I understand Trion needs to make money and clearly all of it from rift, but I have ONE thing I would like to see implemented, can we please, just freaking get what we pay for. For example I purchased a squirrel mount for 3k credits because I wanted it, I won't however pay 3k credits for boxes to get a chance at the same squirrel - and this sentiment is echo'd everywhere on these forums, nobody likes rng, especially when you have to pay for it.

2. The pvp in this game is at best a disaster and at worst a travesty.

I won't get into specifics about class balance, CC and DR timers, TTK, constant burst healing and the nitty gritty about why pvp in this game sucks (Although Daglar PM me bby I can help - maybe if I haven't uninstalled) but I'll more talk about the complete lack of attention it gets.

I know for a fact, that at the beginnings of Storm Legion alpha a list of 20 pvpers was requested and given to the devs working on the content by BCtrainers. No one on that list was ever contacted to partake in any testing whatsoever. Many of us on the list knew about it and would have made valuable contributions to the betterment of pvp, however, this never happened and pvp post SL has been an absolute disaster and is effectively beyond salvaging.

However I would recommend instead of making snide comments on the pvp forums every now and then that the devs actually got involved and talked to people who knew more about the pvp in the game than they ever did, the opportunity was presented and will now be much more difficult as everyone who was even half decent as long since quit and the pvp forums are filled with so much nonsense it's rediculous. However you know that 3v3 tournament that just happened daglar - you know the one you watched (which was cool involvement btw) - might have had some people who had good ideas about pvp in this game and talking to them may have given you some good insight. Instead it's obvious no one really gives a **** but you'll through them a dirty bone every now and then and leave a stinking taste in their mouth - seriously BiS pvp gear from boxes and only boxes upgradable to relic right after people had ground millions of favour and rng conquest to upgrade their now no longer BiS gear and have to do it all again if they wanted BiS. Goooooood.

3. The raiding scene has died to the point it's non-existant.

Raiding in rift used to be awesome, the fights were epic, new and exciting and I won't be too verbose because I'm boring myself by this stage but really reused mobs, reused mechanics and reused armour is not going to excite anyone but the most die hard fanbois. You really need to be careful about alienating your PvE community the same way you have with the pvp one, and if you keep this up it will happen, hell people are already leaving.

One raid dev left, compared to the 5 that worked on hammerknell, releasing buggy instances which have been practiced (note I'm careful to use the word practice not tested because we all know why they were on the pts) for months by guilds on the pts to be guild in a matter of hours once released.

4. Everyone's talking about 3.0 like it will make or break rift.

Does everyone remember the massive SL ad campaigns "2 continents bigger than mathosia - level cap to 60" etc etc all the advertising about the expansion. For 3.0... Nothing... I don't know whether the entire marketing team was fired but it's really not very confidence inspiring been a few months away (supposedly) from 3.0 with no beta testing (or testing of any kind), no hype and no news.

I hate seeing a game I've loved for over 3 years self-implode, but that's exactly what's happening to rift. The direction it used to have is no longer there, it's a cash cow which is going to sink unless someone can right the ship.

Hope to read many of your replies as to what you think the state of the game is.

Your friendly Kiwi Troll and GM of Coriolis (Retired from rift raiding),

Hikos.

trion pls no banerino I've been a good boy I swear.

Edited to remove rules violations - Ocho
    Last edited by Ocho; 04-24-2014 at 11:42 AM.

Hikos, Hikos, Hikos. You'll always be the best Shaman to me.

/hug

inb4 close and ban.

#gamestoohard
    #dontbes**t

Champion of Telara

Whether TRION wants to admit it or not, 3.0 will make or break RIFT. There is no grey area anymore. The veteran players cannot allow grey area anymore. 3.0 needs to be groundbreaking, mind blowing, amazing, and any other synonyms that you can come up with.

Since Daglar has kindly let us know, in my other thread, that TRION is too busy designing 3.0 to be bothered with updating us with new armor models but instead give us french maid outfits... 3.0 had better be worth it. For TRION's sake, not for ours.
    Last edited by Ayona; 04-24-2014 at 08:30 AM.

1. Do you have proof Rift is being used to fund other games? the company isn't publicly owned so they aren't required to release anything to the public in regards to this. The cash grabs from the random boxes are indeed ridiculous and shouldn't be some crazy gambling system with credits.

2. I don't really see pvp changing in this game since its always been bad with regards to DR, balance, etc.

3.Being a raider myself and playing since beta its really sad to see raiding in the game slowly dying with a real lack of effort on a lot of fronts from trion. Particularly the itemization in this game is such a massive turnoff its just unbelievable. You'd think that by now they would have a system to implement and scale gear, BUT they don't. The endurance on some of the T3 dropped gear has significantly less than T2 pieces, Some of the crit power tier pieces are improperly scaled(at least for warriors Tier crit power belt/boots are just so far off) we have dps trinkets with endurance and dodge, we have a t3 cleric hammer that was changed from a proper spellpower proc as a 1hander to a 2handed hammer with a 500 attack power proc---wheres the QA!???? These are just a FEW examples are the complete failure that is itemization in this game. As for the encounters themselves, most of them lack the multi-phase aspect that makes a fight truly epic. Akylios somehow completely missed a phase that was said was going to be implemented by the dev, and most other fights are just scripted repeats of the same mechanics with no rng at all.

4. I didn't think about this until now, but you're right the marketing for 3.0 is non-existent and I'm not sure if they don't care about expanding their player base because the cash grabs are enough or if they just lack a marketing department at this time. I've always loved rift and I'd hate to see it fall apart after the promise it showed. Unfortunately, it feels like its losing players(atleast good raiders) at a rapid rate. Regardless of how much of a population percentage the actual raider population makes up, We are some of your most important player base.

Rethink your policies Trion, Implement a proper QA, and have some cross-team interaction because its really apparent to us raiders that just doesn't exist, or its near non-existent. The lack of sheer knowledge about how parts of the game interact with others between some of the devs needs to be fixed, and fixed fast.

Hopefully some other people also have some constructive suggestions Trion can take into account, and implement to improve Rift.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by EJAvil View Post
    inb4 close and ban.

#gamestoohard
    #dontbes**t
    #solveit.
    #donttouchthepaddles.
    #ifyouneedareferencestackonme.
    Last edited by WarUltima; 04-24-2014 at 08:33 AM.

Ascendant

Regarding marketing: I don't believe they would advertise 3.0 until they were ready for more of an official announcement to the loyal base.

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Hikos View Post
    The development of lockbox content, the implementation of a rushed T3 with no armour models to allow selling T2 gear on the store, the BiS PvP gear, runes, essences and consumes available for lockboxes, the prioritisation of a french maid outfit over T3 armour etc etc.
    seriously BiS pvp gear from boxes and only boxes upgradable to relic right after people had ground millions of favour and rng conquest to upgrade their now no longer BiS gear and have to do it all again if they wanted BiS. Goooooood.
    This is what caused me to move on. I used to raid extensively pre-SL, but I no longer had the time to dedicate myself to that aspect of the game due to school. Now, I can't even acquire all the new pvp gear because of the massive grind that has been created due to all the rng and lockboxes. My intent on logging into Rift used to be centered around the notion of having fun for an hour or two by doing world pvp, warfronts, etc. Unfortunately, f2p changed this intent. I only have time to log on and grind constantly until I acquire some of the new gear.

The raiding scene has died to the point it's non-existant.
    I was afraid that this would happen. I have a massive amount of respect for the Rift raiding community. The amount of commitment you all put into the game is something to be recognized. It should warrant the developers to make sure that this community earns special recognition and care because these players are typically the most dedicated of them all. This is coming from someone who has been primarily a PvPer throughout the past 3 years of Rift.

I hope there is more support for the raiding system in the future (or maybe it's too late at this point?). HK was an amazing experience for me. The grand scale of the raid, the aesthetics, boss encounters, etc were nothing short of outstanding (minus all the bugs at release). I've been in some of the raids post-SL and the experience just doesn't even compare to anything from pre-SL.

I hate seeing a game I've loved for over 3 years self-implode, but that's exactly what's happening to rift. The direction it used to have is no longer there, it's a cash cow which is going to sink unless someone can right the ship.

Hope to read many of your replies as to what you think the state of the game is.

Your friendly Kiwi Troll and GM of Coriolis (Retired from rift raiding)
    I feel the same way, but there's nothing much I can do to change things. I'm not going to sit here on the forums and complain about the state of the game all day. I'm not going to cry about how bad this game has become in the past year. In the end, my sub is just as important as anyone else's (from Trion's perspective), even if I've been playing this game since beta whereas the other player has only been playing for a month. Regardless, the only thing I can do is move on and wait until I see some improvements with the state of the game. This is the only way you can make Trion see things differently and get them to change their habits.

Regards, your friendly Seastone Rogue

Edited quoted text - Ocho
    Last edited by Ocho; 04-24-2014 at 11:43 AM.

Rift Chaser

Like some people, I also suspect that Trion has been using RIFT as a cash cow to fund other projects. Nobody here has proof, but the rate of fixes and new content being released dropped off significantly after Endless Eclipse was released. What really pissed people off is that they paid for a year of RIFT (Storm Legion package), with the expectation that content and fixes would continue to be delivered at a fast pace, only to have Trion make massive layoffs to their RIFT team shortly after Storm Legion was released. Personally, it was at that moment that I decided to not spend another dime on RIFT. I would continue to play it until another game grabbed my interest or I just got bored though. Free-to-play allowed me to keep playing for free, so yay.

A lot of people are nostalgic for the "good old days" of pre-SL, for various reasons, most of them bogus. RIFT has always been somewhat grindy, encounters have always had bugs, class balance and itemization were actually WORSE pre-SL, etc. But all of this was papered over by Trion simply delivering a lot of content and being relatively quick at fixing things, at least compared to other themepark MMOs. This is what spoiled us, and this is what everyone SHOULD be nostalgic for.

Free-to-play isn't the problem, it is merely a symptom of a larger problem: Post-SL release, Trion did not put enough work into RIFT to justify keeping it as a subscription-based game. At least by making it free-to-play, people are free to leave when the content dries up and come back to check things out when new content is released. A fair number of people left for FFXIV (my former guild disintegrated due to this) but some of those people also came back due to a lack of endgame content in FFXIV. At the very least, F2P allows for this. The problem is that this makes RIFT into a "hotel" where people check in and check out, instead of a game with a more permanent community.

In the end, the problem is that people don't want to put a lot of effort into RIFT when they feel that Trion isn't doing the same.
    Last edited by ginc; 04-24-2014 at 09:13 AM.
    Garbageday - mediocre Cleric Tank / Raid Lead for -Vendetta- (Greybriar) - 4/4 Rhen of Fate, 4/5 Mount Sharax

GDAAAY NOOOOO

Rift Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by ginc View Post
    The problem is that this makes RIFT into a "hotel" where people check in and check out, instead of a game with a more permanent community.
    Oh, and to run with this metaphor... Welcome back to the RIFT Hotel! Your Conquest Power has expired, have fun grinding it back up again!

If I had to call something the worst thing about RIFT ever, it would be CQ Power Decay by a country mile.
    Garbageday - mediocre Cleric Tank / Raid Lead for -Vendetta- (Greybriar) - 4/4 Rhen of Fate, 4/5 Mount Sharax

GDAAAY NOOOOO

Quote Originally Posted by ginc View Post
    Oh, and to run with this metaphor... Welcome back to the RIFT Hotel! Your Conquest Power has expired, have fun grinding it back up again!

If I had to call something the worst thing about RIFT ever, it would be CQ Power Decay by a country mile.
    At least that problem is going away at some point in the relative near future. I found myself at about 140k the other day and cried a little bit, ashamed of myself for not paying enough attention while letting it slip away into obscurity for a short time.

Shadowlander

For most of the reasons discussed in this thread, I have canceled my subscription with the release of T3 content. I like Rift a lot, but it's feeling less and less like there will be much of a future if they don't change the way they deal with content and their community. It's definitely not just a lack of content either, it's a lack of transparency in how they feel about their game and what direction they want to take it. I want to know there is a future, and not just rehashed content and skins. When I know there is you can have my money back.
    Last edited by Epiclairs; 04-24-2014 at 09:35 AM.

<Crayons>
    Retired scrub

Champion of Telara

When Trion adopted the f2p model all of this was a matter of time. The effort aligns with the revenue stream which in this case is not inclusive of quality. In other words spending time on the 90th corgi pet is more profitable then........

Every person that has bought credits or items with real money are the root cause of the games demise. The cheap antics. Rpg lockboxes.

People mad about Rift talking about Wildstar, pathetic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Muspel View Post
    I believe Assassin DoTs are uncleansable.

It's still a terrible PvP spec compared to Marksman, though.

It does bother me that there is absolutely 0 hype behind 3.0. Obviously they don't want to give too much away when it comes to the new content, but they're making it seem like there's barely anything going on.

I really enjoyed tier 2, and while I know tier 3 won't be near as engaging due to recycled content, I'm hoping that it will keep people playing while we wait for the next expansion.

I think the main thing that made this game lose so much of its player base was the time taken between tier 1 and 2 20 mans, and if the game makes it that far i hope they don't make the same mistake again.

The developers have shown that they really want to keep players engaged and things have become a lot more refined during storm legion, but I think there are some bad apples in the bunch who do some stupid things that are easy to fix/blatently terrible, for example the itemization, player models, graphic bugs, lag "fixes", and macro changes... All things that people who actually play the game notice but the designers somehow do not. It is not fair to put the devs all other one category but it just amazes me how little care is put into some aspects of the game.

I have a bit more to say but on phone atm so I'll leave more later.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 30 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast