+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Expert Dungeons

Soulwalker

Default Expert Dungeons

I waited until I had about 1500 SP before trying to heal a random expert dungeon and I thought I might be ok since only 1200 is required. I was blown away by how insignificant my healing was.

Should I be attempting to heal with a different soul spec? I'm currently using the Benefactor premade soul to heal because it "feels" familiar. Should I be healing as a warden or purifier instead? There was absolutely nothing I could do to keep up with the damage incoming on the tank let alone did I have the tools to keep the group alive. They were a very nice group. Once I admitted I was having so much trouble after a wipe, the mage agreed to heal the rest and allowed me to become the support.

I love healing and was horribly disappointed by my first few expert dungeons. It didn't feel like I was even CLOSE to being able to heal them. I do use mouseover macros as well as one of the healing addons similar to healbot.

Quote Originally Posted by Donaven View Post
    I waited until I had about 1500 SP before trying to heal a random expert dungeon and I thought I might be ok since only 1200 is required. I was blown away by how insignificant my healing was.

Should I be attempting to heal with a different soul spec? I'm currently using the Benefactor premade soul to heal because it "feels" familiar. Should I be healing as a warden or purifier instead? There was absolutely nothing I could do to keep up with the damage incoming on the tank let alone did I have the tools to keep the group alive. They were a very nice group. Once I admitted I was having so much trouble after a wipe, the mage agreed to heal the rest and allowed me to become the support.

I love healing and was horribly disappointed by my first few expert dungeons. It didn't feel like I was even CLOSE to being able to heal them. I do use mouseover macros as well as one of the healing addons similar to healbot.
    I'm not a huge fan of the premades. I like 61 sent or puri for dungeons. The sent will probably feel more familiar to you as a healing spec, as the puri is mostly shielding. It does take some practice with a patient group for either one though, and an overgeared tank helps when starting out.

There are builds and guides in the class guide section that have a lot of good information.
    Soulraiser - 60 Cleric // Soulslayer - 60 Warrior // Soulshadow 60 Mage
    Faeblight NA
    http://www.dargaardknights.com
    Visit our recruiting thread HERE

I'm currently using the Benefactor premade soul to heal because it "feels" familiar. Should I be healing as a warden or purifier instead?
    Benefactor is 61 Sentinel/15 Purifier, right? That's probably the best spec for starting out experts.

It's very odd that you weren't able to keep the tank alive. Which abilities were you using? As a sentinel, you should primarily use Healing Invocation on the tank, switching to Crucial Invocation if/when you need an extra burst of healing. You won't be able to maintain Crucial Invocation spam for long without running out of mana, but cranking out one or two will help immensely when the tank is taking heavy damage.

When people other than the tank are taking damage (such as any boss that does AoE damage), using Healing Breath on cooldown is usually enough to top them off. It's extremely rare that you'll need to use Healing Communion unless a boss does heavy sustained AoE, and I can only think of one or two dungeon bosses that do so.

On top of that, you have a wide array of cooldowns available to you that you should be making frequent use of-- for instance, Healer's Haste should be used in conjunction with Healing Invocation (using it with Crucial Invocation doesn't help much, since it reduces CI's cast time to be shorter than the GCD and you end up just waiting around rather than being able to use more spells). Touch the Light + Crucial Invocation is a good panic button, as is Fullness of Life. Healer's Covenant and Nyol's Hope are exceptional for handling longer periods of heavy damage. Vigilance is... okay, it's not all that great in dungeons. But you also have Renewed Altruism, which allows you to refresh all of your cooldowns.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Muspel View Post
    That's probably the best spec for starting out experts.
    That's correct ....

Also, it's probably a combination of several factors. What gear do you have otherwise (stats, runes and such); are these dungeons you've run before and know the mechanics of (and do the others) ... much to consider. I still heal quite a few experts with sent/puri...

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Faerugue View Post
    That's correct ....

Also, it's probably a combination of several factors. What gear do you have otherwise (stats, runes and such); are these dungeons you've run before and know the mechanics of (and do the others) ... much to consider. I still heal quite a few experts with sent/puri...

Other two factors I see a lot is quality of the essences in your focus, and the quality of the tank you got as well. A new healer should be fine with a tank who's in mostly blues,same with a new tank should be fine with a mostly blue geared heals. But if you get a new tank paired up with a new heals you're in for a rough ride. And if you have all new dps pulling 4-5k dps your out of luck unless your all extremely coordinated.

My advise is just keep queuing, and build your focus a bit more. The more gear you get the easier it will become.

Rift Chaser

Usually the reason i see why healers run into this problem is because they missed a cleanse and they just try to heal through everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Windaten View Post
    My advise is just keep queuing, and build your focus a bit more. The more gear you get the easier it will become.
    Please do NOT follow this advice. It's pretty obvious from just your SP that you don't actually have the gear required to run an expert. Keep running normals, do some grinding so you can afford to have crafted gear made for you and work on filling out your sigil.
    Avatar by Rotaken on deviantART.

Quote Originally Posted by Frailaq View Post
    Please do NOT follow this advice. It's pretty obvious from just your SP that you don't actually have the gear required to run an expert. Keep running normals, do some grinding so you can afford to have crafted gear made for you and work on filling out your sigil.
    He meant 1500 Wisdom, not SP
    Rahka@Wolfsbane

Ascendant

People forget how brutal SL experts were at launch - when people had the appropriate gear, i.e. not over geared, as so many runs are now. When you're in a group that doesn't significantly out gear them it can be a challenge. Also remember that most of the time people don't follow the tacts, or follow over geared 'tacts', so they either get one shot or put lots of stress on the healer. Ask the support to actually switch to a support role. If they don't try and kick them.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Crithappens View Post
    Yeah I was gonna say....1500 spellpower would probably require wearing no weapons.

Quote Originally Posted by caitie View Post
    People forget how brutal SL experts were at launch - when people had the appropriate gear, i.e. not over geared, as so many runs are now. When you're in a group that doesn't significantly out gear them it can be a challenge. Also remember that most of the time people don't follow the tacts, or follow over geared 'tacts', so they either get one shot or put lots of stress on the healer. Ask the support to actually switch to a support role. If they don't try and kick them.
    Support isn't necessary, with the possible exception of Avoxcia in Unhallowed Boneforge (if she webs the healer, it's extremely difficult to catch up unless you have decent gear).

While it's true that SL experts were brutal at launch, the more challenging fights (such as Valthundr) have been nerfed since then-- not to mention the fact that a lot of souls have seen buffs and redesigns that indirectly nerf the content.

Soulwalker

Thank you all for the replies. Is there a way for me to link my gear to you all?

I'm going to assume that my problem was a gear issue. I didn't look at the tank's gear or ask him about spec, but he acted as though he was very experienced. The dungeon we were running was one that I was actually glad to get because of all the SL dungeons I know it the best. It was the dungeon with the first boss that does the decimator attack and has the debuff that causes the tank to lose max health that needs to be cleansed. I'm not in the game right now and can't remember the name of the dungeon off the top of my head. The boss that I just couldn't keep up on damage was the one in the library where you have to all be at melee range and then run behind the pillars. I popped every cooldown I had and that worked. Until I was out of cooldowns. Then suddenly I was (barely) keeping the tank alive and as soon as the group all got to about half health, that was it...I just couldn't keep everybody up.

I have a couple of crafted epics and a couple more that I've upgraded to epic from running chronicles. I have a lot of quested blues that are level 58+. I do have a couple of greens left (My cloak and one ring).

Ok, just logged into the game and here are all of my relevant stats (I think):

Wisdom: 1438 (I think I had a wisdom potion boosting it 30 more or so)
    Spell Power: 3198
    Spell Crit: 1347
    Crit Power: 132

I think I need to build a new sigil. I still have a sigil of the five, but my greater essences are both pre-50 greaters.

Is there a particular stat I need to focus on upgrading or just improve my stats overall?

The boss that I just couldn't keep up on damage was the one in the library where you have to all be at melee range and then run behind the pillars. I popped every cooldown I had and that worked. Until I was out of cooldowns. Then suddenly I was (barely) keeping the tank alive and as soon as the group all got to about half health, that was it...I just couldn't keep everybody up.
    That boss is called Valthundr, and he's probably one of the most challenging expert bosses to heal.

There's a few things to be aware of with him. The sequence of the fight goes like this:
    1. Knockback + circle (run into the circle)
    2. Channeled heavy AoE damage (use your AoE cleanse and Healing Breath on cooldown, use Healing Communion when multiple people are below 50% health so that you get bonus heals from Faith Rewarded, and use cooldowns to keep the tank alive as necessary. Make sure that you cleanse every stack of the debuff before you have to LoS.)
    3. Knockback + circle
    4. Line of sight behind the pillars (try to get people topped off before they go hide, because they will take damage while hiding, and you can't reach them all)

Then it repeats from the beginning. Really, it just comes down to planning out your cooldown usage so that you can keep the tank alive while healing the group during Deep Freeze.

I think I need to build a new sigil. I still have a sigil of the five, but my greater essences are both pre-50 greaters.
    Just put lesser essences in those greater slots for now. With the exception of certain level 60 greater essences that have both procs and stats, greater essences are not worth using.

Rift Master

Yeah don't be shy asking support to help out if you're struggling. It sounds like you're on the right track.

Quote Originally Posted by Crithappens View Post
    *sigh of relief*
    Avatar by Rotaken on deviantART.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast