+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Rift Raiding explained! (Please explain the Tiers to me)

Soulwalker

Default Rift Raiding explained! (Please explain the Tiers to me)

Necroed this thread from another one but could someone do a quick rundown of raid tiers in Rift? Kind of lost on how progression has gone. Who for example is the "end" boss at the moment?

Champion

Right now there are 2 current tiers in Storm Legion. First is tier 1. This includes the 10 man raids Triumph of the Dragon Queen and the redone Intrepid Drowned Halls. The two tier 1 20 man instances are Frozen Eclipse, home to Crucia, and Endless Eclipse, home of Regulos. It seems like in EE we killed Reggie for real and sent him back to the death plane, but in the Hero Rises chronicle, we find out Crucia isn't really dead.

The tier 2 10 man raid is Grim Awakening. The two 20 man raids are Infinity Gate and Planebreaker Bastion. The big boss in Infinity Gate is Volan. Once we beat him, we use the infinity gate to enter Planebreaker Bastion, the plane of earth(I think). The big boss there is Planebreaker Abominus. He's a newer threat related to the Architects and the Dendrome.

The old tiers from when the level cap was 50 aren't really relevant anymore unless you're looking at it from a lore perspective.

Telaran

Tower of the dragon queen (t1 10man) > intrepid: drowned halls (t1 10man) > frozen tempest (t1 20man) > endless eclipse (t1 20man) > grim awakening (t2 10man) > infinity gate (t2 20man) > planebreaker bastion (t2 20man)

Easiest > hardest

http://www.topofrift.com/news/

Mouse over "Standings" and the instances are listed top down for each tier (the higher the number associated with the tier the more recent the tier). The difficulty difference is generally minimal between 10 man raids within the same tier but the difficulty of the 20 man raids has always increased with each instance released. Currently Planebreaker Abominus is the end boss of this tier, prior to his release it was Volan.

Also important to note that there is a Tier 3 for SL coming pretty shortly (around April/May?). It'll have at least 1-2 raids and keep top raiders busy til 3.0 expansion launches (by end of the year - unless they really want to disappoint players).

Rift's 20-mans have to do with current story arcs and top-end gameplay, while the 10-mans are largely accessed through 'slivers' to alternate timelines where other things have happened and we get to temporarily access these locations in a limited way.

Classic Rift (outdated but good for lore, achievements, costume items, practicing)..

Tier 1, Level 50, end of launch questing:
    -Greenscale's Blight, 20-man, Life/Death, Stillmoor entrance, mainly take care of Greenscale and the Aelfwar leadership, end of Aelfwar/Endless Sagas, end of Life Mathosian storyline itself, Chronicle versions exist
    -River of Souls, 20-man, Death, Stillmoor entrance, mainly take care of Alsbeth leader of Endless Court, end of Death Mathosian storyline itself, more fully leads into first Chronicle "Ceremony of Attunement", Chronicle versions exist
    -Drowned Halls, 10-man, Water, Scarwood Reach entrance, deal with an Abyssal leader in a world taken by them (Lv 60 version now exists)
    -Gilded Prophecy, 10-man, Earth, Shimmersand entrance, deal with a Golden Maw leader in a world taken by them

Tier 2, Lv 50+, end of mainland Mathosian focus:
    -Hammerknell, 20-man, Water/Death, Moonshade Highlands entrance, mainly take care of the Death corruption inside, former leader of Hammerknell, Abyssal leadership, and Akylios, leads into the Water Saga which ends the Mathosian Water storyline itself, Chronicle versions exist, lauded as favored Rift raid
    -Rise of the Phoenix, 10-man, Fire, Stonefield entrance, deal with some Fire stuff I dunno because I never did it

Tier 3, Lv 50+, involving Ember Isle and end of Mathosian region focus:
    -Infernal Dawn, 20-man, Fire/Earth, Ember Isle entrance, mainly take care of Golden Maw and Wanton leadership, stop their invasion plans, Laethys, and Maelforge, end of Ember Isle and Wanton Maw Saga storyline, end of Mathosian Earth and Fire storylines, sliver Chronicle version exists
    -Primeval Feast, 10-man, Life, Droughtlands entrance, deal with some Life stuff from I guess if Aelfwar won

~~~

Storm Legion Rift (current progression for players, note that I only got to Tier 2 in Classic, and I'm not raiding in SL, so I could be wrong on some things):
    *extra note - there also exists Chronicles for Tempest Bay and Hive Kaaz'Gfuu, but those are not raid instances, like with the Meridian/Sanctum Chronicle for Lv 50

Tier 1, Lv 60, end of expansion lands launch questing:
    -Frozen Tempest, 20-man, Air, Morban entrance, mainly take care of bulk of Storm Legion and Crucia's dragon body, A Hero Rises (Tempest Bay) Chronicle takes place during this, links with the currently being released Air Saga events which will end the Mathosian/Telaran Air storyline
    -Endless Eclipse, 20-man, Death, Morban entrance, mainly take care of the rest of the Endless and the Shapers, their leader Kain, Regulos himself, ends the Telaran Death storyline
    -Triumph of the Dragon Queen, 10-man, Air, Kingsward entrance, I think deal with a world where Crucia won
    -Drowned Halls, Intrepid (aka Lv 60 redo)

Tier 2, Lv 60+, involving Dendrome and end of Telaran focus:
    -Infinity Gate, 20-man, MultiPlanar, Steppes of Infinity entrance, mainly clear out a whole bunch of other planar gods as they try to enter Telara when we open the Gate that we're using to pursue the Architects (Dendrome storyline)
    -Planebreaker Bastion, 20-man, Earth, Steppes of Infinity entrance, mainly deal with the Architects' new Queen and their giant weapon of mass destruction, Chronicle version exists which is the aftermath of raid
    -Grim Awakening, 10-man, Fire?, Kingsward entrance, dunno what happens here

Tier 3, Lv 60+, leadup to the Plane of Water:
    -?... possibly several dragon encounters each with their own lockouts, dream versions which showcase how the dragons were first bound to Telara by the Blood Storm Heroes (the souls we use), and foreshadowing next expansion stuff

~~~

3.0 Rift:

Tier 1, who knows????
    Will likely happen late this year, along with new leveling and a gear reset, making SL raids not relevant to progression.
    Gonna guess at least one major 20-man here will be all about Water :P (first time since Hammerknell)
    Also predict Fire is gonna have a big role again (first time since Ember Isle).
    Anything else is up in the air. Including.. Air, Death, Life. Any of these may happen but maybe not (given their 2.0 tier/questing focus).
    Earth is the most unlikely imo, with how the recent focus has been on it. Life is the most likely.
    Let's see!

2015 = Tier 1, later Tier 2, unlikely Tier 3 (that'll be 2016 imo)

Current end boss is Planebreaker whathisname.
    Volan kinda too (Infinity Gate).

Regulos and Crucia are still being run by people, but more and more puggable.

Tier 3 is coming soon so Planebreaker/Volan will be more puggable this year, with Tier 3 boss(es) being the top progression until 3.0.

~~

Greenscale/Alsbeth are totally outdated, easily done.
    Akylios is totally outdated, somewhat easily done.
    Laethys/Maelforge is mostly outdated (might run for item looks), kinda easily done (can still give trouble, just as Tier 3 in Storm Legion will give people trouble even in 2016 imo).

Soulwalker

i hear raiding in this game is pretty sub standard, (not very difficult) is this true?

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Gaarashatan View Post
    i hear raiding in this game is pretty sub standard, (not very difficult) is this true?
    Don't listen to "people" .

Go gear up, level up, guild up or Pug up and go see for yourself.

Soulwalker

well if its half of what wow heroic raiding is this is gonna be easy :O btw is there some sort of world of logs for rift where i can observe stuff?

Quote Originally Posted by Gaarashatan View Post
    well if its half of what wow heroic raiding is this is gonna be easy :O btw is there some sort of world of logs for rift where i can observe stuff?
    You're a little late to the party for this tier, there have been considerable nerfs to this content both directly and indirectly. Typically each tier starts off relatively easy but quickly becomes very difficult and often very tightly or even overtuned. I haven't raided on the bleeding edge in WoW so I cannot make a direct comparison between the two.

As far as a world of logs site, RIFT used to have a very similar site HypatiaLogViewer.com but I don't know if anything comparable is currently being maintained.

Quote Originally Posted by Vioarr View Post
    As far as a world of logs site, RIFT used to have a very similar site HypatiaLogViewer.com but I don't know if anything comparable is currently being maintained.
    Think the only one still active is Trinity's Top Of Rift site.
    Avatar by Rotaken on deviantART.

Quote Originally Posted by Frailaq View Post
    Think the only one still active is Trinity's Top Of Rift site.
    I thought topofrift was just for rankings. Am I totally missing something? Definitely topofrift is the only active ranking site to my knowledge though.

It does have Rough listed as the guild leader though so it's not perfect. =P

I haven't raided on the bleeding edge in WoW so I cannot make a direct comparison between the two.
    I can step in to answer that.

Rift's 20-man raids are harder than WoW's normal modes, but significantly easier than WoW's pre-nerf heroic raids.

I thought topofrift was just for rankings. Am I totally missing something? Definitely topofrift is the only active ranking site to my knowledge though.

It does have Rough listed as the guild leader though so it's not perfect. =P
    It used to have a parser component as well but I stopped dev time on it. Eyes were bleeding too much.

And yes, RR sabotaged it. Its true.

#retiredBear #teamBBCs #puffForeverMad

WoW's heroic raids are unforgiving pre-nerf. I'm still in the 'getting there' phase to raiding here, and probably won't have a meaningful opinion of contrast until 3.0 anyway (I'm late to this party and all).

But yeah, WoW is not 'e-z mode' unless all you ever do are heroic dungeons, raidfinder and the occasional normal/flex mode raid pug. Get in on heroic progression and you'll learn that Blizz's still got very sharp fangs when tuning raids.

I've heard pretty good things about raids here, though I think Blizz might be able to tune its raids more tightly than Rift'll ever be able to due to the relative simplicity of its classes compared to here. Makes for more boring classes (imo) but more selectively fine-tooth-combed content (somewhat imo).

Here, I don't think they'd be doing it very intelligently to absolutely require say, a rogue tank with a very specific pair of sub-souls in an exactly-so configuration to be able to beat Boss A in Raid 2. Too many things can tank in too many ways; the thresh-hold for tanking difficulty overall must be reduced, or they invalidate some of their own tank souls (in that particular sort of exemplification. The same would logically apply to dps and healing souls as well).

But that's just what I take from it for looking at it. I've only done some t1 pug raiding on here so far, and I gotta say, its impressed me so far.

I'm no hardcore anything in my own opinion, but I do love raiding, and I've done much of it for a long time in quite a few games. I've never been in a top guild, never participated in any world firsts, never *lengthy list of common bragging points for l337 raiderfaces*. But I've raided a lot.

And Rift, so far, seems to have some amazing chops when it comes to making raids. They feel different from WoW's in pretty dramatic ways (that I love so far), and if the Volan zone event is ANY indication of what it might be like to tackle Volan in Infinity Gate...

...Aww man I wanna do Infinity Gate. Best. Boss. Evar.

So I have a thing for tearing down giant monsters. Don't judge me. >.> <.<

+ Reply to Thread