+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Hell's Insurgents DRR - A Comedy of Art

Plane Touched

Default Hell's Insurgents DRR - A Comedy of Art

Rift has some beautiful art. Rift also has some wonderful raids. I thank Trion for both. But ,for some unknown reason, when the art meets a raid, thing go very wrong. I suspect this is because the Art department never talks to the Raid department.

A good case in point is the new DRR - Hell's Insurgents. The DRR has some interesting raid mechanics which are fine, so thank you to the Raid department. However the Art department forgot to talk to the Raid department. The DRR has a red lava floor, on which spawn red bosses which then use red bubble AoE's and red beam mechanics. This design ensures the bosses and the raid mechanics are as hard to see as possible. I suspect it's designed by the same folks who thought GHV's like Quoras with a Red boss using red AoE mechanics on a red floor was a good idea. To help the Art department out, I'm going to send them a box of Crayola crayons to help then choose alternate colors for raid mechanics that might actually be visible to Ascended players.

While the Art department is looking through the Crayola box, could they please have lunch with the Raid deparment and standardize on raid mechanic colors. It would be nice if you could teach raiders not to stand in RED AoE's (because they hurt) and do stand in GREEN AoE's (because they protect you), but Trion never, ever uses color consistently for raid mechanics. Progenitor in EE is a good example. As Raid Leader I carefully explain to folks not to stand in the PURPLE AoE (Entropic Abyss) and also avoid the PURPLE waves (Zone of Defilement). So far so good, but then I tell them to stand in the RED AoE (Escalating Agony) and also stand in the PURPLE AoE (Twisted Redesign). This confuses folks to no end. On Crucia I tell them to stand in the GREEN AoE circle for protection, but on Matriarch I tell them to run away from the GREEN AoE circle (Necrotic Spores). I could give 20 more examples, but the bottom line is that Trion never uses color consistently for raid mechanics. There is no good reason in all of Telara for not doing do. I beseech Trion to spare us Ascended from future raid color torment. Thank you.

Good idea, but the insults weren't necessary.

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by forbiddenlake View Post
    Good idea, but the insults weren't necessary.
    My apologies, I wasn't trying to insult anyone. Was trying to be slightly humorous, but perhaps I failed.

Settings > Video > Advanced > (Uncheck) Projected Textures

Profit.

xxs
    Plane Touched

GA trash mobs are no better red over red over even more red.
    Eggtenders AoE bubles - faint red over greenish are invisible (literally) to people with forms of color blindness.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Wali View Post
    ...standardize on raid mechanic colors...
    This might be an oversight on their part - or it might just be working as intended. Remember Shade of Aran in good old Karazhan? He was the first raid boss I met who did a fire AE which you were *not* allowed to leave (in fact when you did it exploded and blew up the entire raid). At the time being I cursed Blizz for this change of rules, but after all this years I still remember his name

So maybe they are doing this to add a little more challenge to the different fights (or just to annoy the color blind, who knows).

Telaran

I don't know. I have no problem with different bosses having different meanings for colours. It's not like it's going to be a secret once the vast majority of players get there. Each boss is independent with independent mechanics, so it only makes sense for colours to have independent meanings.

I do think that Progenitor is stupid with the two different purple things, one good and one bad. Yes, they can be differentiated, but it seems more like a "ha ha, the derp can't tell the difference!" than a case of actually inviting skilled play. Changing Entropic Abyss to orange or green would be appropriate.
    ~~~Whisperfoot of the Storm - Ranged Rogue~~~
    ~~~May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce~~~

xxs
    Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Elayara View Post
    This might be an oversight on their part - or it might just be working as intended.
    If it's intended it's known as fake difficulty which should be unneeded but annoying. Since there are quite a few other instances it could be intended as well but sure it's no fun.

I run on what many would consider a hamster powered machine as far as computer gaming goes, and haven't really had any issues with their choice of color schemes for their notification that you're about to be dead if you stand here.

I run an intel core2 quad core Q6600, 2.4GHz with 2 GB of ram and an nVidia GeForce GTX 550 Ti

In technology age its a grandfather machine. And yet I've done all of their content successfully.

I don't really know where the finger should be pointed as far as 'fault,' nor can I speak for the colorblind folks, but the effect colors they've chosen hasn't felt like it made the encounters any more difficult than their design.

I'd almost want to say people are just using it as an excuse when they die to it.
    So long, and thanks for all the fish~

Rift Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by MoonfireSpam View Post
    I run on what many would consider a hamster powered machine as far as computer gaming goes, and haven't really had any issues with their choice of color schemes for their notification that you're about to be dead if you stand here.

I run an intel core2 quad core Q6600, 2.4GHz with 2 GB of ram and an nVidia GeForce GTX 550 Ti
    I shed a tear over the sadness of this, i thought i used to have it bad as far as my rig was concerned

Quote Originally Posted by Twylyte View Post
    I shed a tear over the sadness of this, i thought i used to have it bad as far as my rig was concerned
    What can I say? I allocate my entertainment budget to other things

2 GB RAM?!

I completely agree on the new raid rift. Not only is it hard to see things, it's also just not good looking if everything's the same colour.

Quote Originally Posted by Veldan View Post
    I completely agree on the new raid rift. Not only is it hard to see things, it's also just not good looking if everything's the same colour.
    Turn off Projected Textures under your video settings.

Rift Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by MoonfireSpam View Post
    This isn't actually a bad computer, Intel hasn't improved performance too much since the good Core2s and a weaker video card with 2GB of RAM just means you have to use lower graphics settings with low-res textures and no AA/AF. I used to have something similar but upgraded for better perfomance in newer games.

I bet it chokes horribly in CQ though
    Garbageday - mediocre Cleric Tank / Raid Lead for -Vendetta- (Greybriar) - 4/4 Rhen of Fate, 4/5 Mount Sharax

GDAAAY NOOOOO

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast