+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 74
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Best Way to Learn Tanking for Dungeons

  1. #1
    Rift Disciple Grinde's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    104

    Default Best Way to Learn Tanking for Dungeons

    Just hit 37 on my warrior yesterday. I'd like to start doing dungeons, but I also know that most PUGs aren't interested/forgiving of someone that has never tanked joining their group. I want to clarify that I am NOT looking on guides for tanking, but rather advice on how to actually start doing it. I have some warrior specs that I can use, read the guides and have a basic thought process on how to go about doing it, but I don't want to dive in and cost a group.

    So what's the polite procedure in getting into dungeon tanking? Is it possible to mentor down to a lower level and do the low level dungeons in order to learn the mechanics?

    Thanks for the help. The RIFT community has been beyond awesome.
    Last edited by Grinde; 02-05-2014 at 08:02 AM.

  2. #2
    Rift Disciple BIGMOJO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    168

    Default

    All my toons are lvl 40+ and I have never 'tanked' on them either.

    What I have considered doing is just what you said - mentor to lvl 15 and que up, tell the grp straight away "1st time tank" etc, shouldnt be too bad since you will out gear the content and at lvl 37 or higher in my case you will have so many more skills & abilities.

    I have even considered mentoring down and queing as support / heals / DPS 1st to get familiar with the dungeons again and the mechanics since it has been soo long since I have run them before I try to tank them.

    Another option would be find a grp of friends or guildies to run these with you as you learn tanking.
    " Tonight Defiants ! ... I will PVP u ! " Pukk
    " Sometime when Im alone ... I buff myself" Bigmojo

    Deepwood -- Ermak LvL 64 Cleric Bigmojo LvL 60 Mage Pukk LvL 60 Rogue Brutikuz LvL 60 Warrior Wildmoon LvL 4x Primalist

  3. #3
    General of Telara Ardor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    984

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Grinde View Post
    Just hit 37 on my warrior yesterday. I'd like to start doing dungeons, but I also know that most PUGs aren't interested/forgiving of someone that has never tanked joining their group. I want to clarify that I am NOT looking on guides for tanking, but rather advice on how to actually start doing it. I have some warrior specs that I can use, read the guides and have a basic thought process on how to go about doing it, but I don't want to dive in and cost a group.

    So what's the polite procedure in getting into dungeon tanking? Is it possible to mentor down to a lower level and do the low level dungeons in order to learn the mechanics?

    Thanks for the help. The RIFT community has been beyond awesome.

    Joining a guild helps a lot! They should have advice, and be more patient during runs than a random group might be.

    If you're nervous about it, sure, you can mentor down to the upper range of levels for a dungeon and queue for it specifically. That way you can have a little bit of an advantage while you learn your abilities and mechanics.

    The main thing is to learn to hold aggro. Once you've figured that out (you'll pick it up quickly from guides, or from studying the abilities in your tanking souls), everything gets easier! Good luck!

  4. #4
    Rift Disciple BIGMOJO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    168

    Default

    Another thing , for specific dungeons you should be able to find guides or walk-throughs on youtube to give you an idea of the map and mechanics

    Practice your 'rotations' on the target dumbies, tweek your hotbars and ur ready
    Last edited by BIGMOJO; 02-05-2014 at 08:35 AM.
    " Tonight Defiants ! ... I will PVP u ! " Pukk
    " Sometime when Im alone ... I buff myself" Bigmojo

    Deepwood -- Ermak LvL 64 Cleric Bigmojo LvL 60 Mage Pukk LvL 60 Rogue Brutikuz LvL 60 Warrior Wildmoon LvL 4x Primalist

  5. #5

  6. #6
    Rift Master Luteuel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    595

    Default

    I learn by doing, so for me, I would pay attention, if i was a DPS, to what all the mechanics were and if there were adds, interrupts, etc.. which helped to transition me to tanking experts.

    KBM client can help but don't rely on it and as others have stated, a guild that runs experts.
    Rogue - <Ascendance>"
    Luteuel@Greybriar, formely Luteuel@Deepwood

  7. #7
    Rift Disciple Grinde's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    104

    Default

    Yeah, I get the impression that tanking, while definitely reliant on knowing rotations, is more about knowing the dungeons and their layouts/fights than it is anything else. I think the easiest way to do things is to read some guides and jump into the fire, given the advice I've gotten here and in game.

    Any other basic advice? I appreciate all the help so far, folks. Thank you.

  8. #8
    Ascendant MoonfireSpam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    4,730

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Grinde View Post
    Yeah, I get the impression that tanking, while definitely reliant on knowing rotations, is more about knowing the dungeons and their layouts/fights than it is anything else. I think the easiest way to do things is to read some guides and jump into the fire, given the advice I've gotten here and in game.

    Any other basic advice? I appreciate all the help so far, folks. Thank you.
    Stay out of red, interrupt any and all blue bars...

    ... and do it a bajillion times.

    Sometimes you pick up on little tricks here and there from pugs, sometimes things just click. But nothing really beats getting in there and doing it.
    So long, and thanks for all the fish~

  9. #9
    Champion of Telara
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    1,270

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Grinde View Post
    ...read the guides and have a basic thought process on how to go about doing it, but I don't want to dive in and cost a group.
    Honestly, just jump in and do it. It's more forgiven pre-50/60. Plus, just having the prompt come up is a boost for players looking for a pre-50/60 random.

    If you ask, just get a guild group together. Most (yeah... assumption I know) guildies are more forgiven as well. And finally, just advertise for a low level dungeon in the respective channels.

    If you are truely learning, I probably would not recommend a mentored 60 pug. Generally, they would be more used to the faster pulls of a fully spec'd 60 and probably don't even realize you won't have 1/2 the abilities yet. And it would be much easier for them to pull agro from you (especially since you could still be missing some of your core abilities). And the other reason is even mentored down they are usually over or at the very top of what an equivalent level member is at. So expect things to die fast and you may not even get a chance to 'practice'. =)

  10. #10
    Shadowlander
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    32

    Default

    The best way to learn would be to run the dungeons as dps and take note of what the bosses do.

    Do they have interruptable abilities? Do they cleave? What aoes do they put down and which need avoiding as a tank?

    If you know your tank spec then once you know the mechanics of each boss, it should be simple. Also, learn the layout since the rest of the group will normally expect the tank to lead and you don't want to aggro a boss too early because you didn't realise he was right around the corner!

  11. #11
    Ascendant
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    1,683

    Default

    If you're looking for a way to train your basic tanking skills, then zone events are a great chance for you. Jump into the next invasion, rift or event boss and try to keep aggro against some other players. When you have trained a bit what buttons to press, which rotation to use against single mobs or groups you can start to pay attention to ground aes, interrupt blue casting bars, etc. All these mechanics will return in the dungeons, so the events are a good way to get used to it.

    If you fail during the learning process it won't matter at all, since this events usually can be done without a proper tank. But if you have never tanked before this is a great way to get some practicing on real mobs.

  12. #12
    Rift Disciple BIGMOJO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    168

    Default

    ^ this

    Zone events or even instant adventures are a great place to practice with no pressure and get familiar with ur skills, rotations, practice taunting + getting/holding aggro on mult targets, pulling and 'grouping' mobs, etc
    Last edited by BIGMOJO; 02-07-2014 at 07:51 AM.
    " Tonight Defiants ! ... I will PVP u ! " Pukk
    " Sometime when Im alone ... I buff myself" Bigmojo

    Deepwood -- Ermak LvL 64 Cleric Bigmojo LvL 60 Mage Pukk LvL 60 Rogue Brutikuz LvL 60 Warrior Wildmoon LvL 4x Primalist

  13. #13
    Plane Walker
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    421

    Default

    First of all, do dungeons as dpser...pay attention to mechanics. Come later as tank.
    As tank, you need world owner attitude. You keep the space how fast you pull mobs and control the situation so not knowing the instance at all is quite bad and annoying for other random group members.
    As tank, learn your high threat skills and learn to use them when you pull. Initial aggro is the easiest to lost if you spam wrong stuff. After high threat stuff, learn to use your defensive abilities right.
    Ambroo- Apotheosys

  14. #14
    Ascendant
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    2,693

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ReveBeck View Post
    First of all, do dungeons as dpser...pay attention to mechanics. Come later as tank.
    As tank, you need world owner attitude. You keep the space how fast you pull mobs and control the situation so not knowing the instance at all is quite bad and annoying for other random group members.
    As tank, learn your high threat skills and learn to use them when you pull. Initial aggro is the easiest to lost if you spam wrong stuff. After high threat stuff, learn to use your defensive abilities right.
    It's much to digest, and you don't do this in a day, but start with the first line and add the rest as you go along .... learning/knowing what you can expect BEFORE you get in there as a tank is really good ...

    Good luck! And if you get a group that's going 'sigh' when you are honest about you being somewhere as the first time for a tank ... it's far easier to requeue as tank than any other role. Some seem to forget they once were 'learning' stuff too ...



  15. #15
    Champion of Telara dead2soon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    1,218

    Default

    Join a guild as people will be much more forgiving.

    Run as dps and play close attention to what what the tanks do and where they stand until you fell confident enough to jump in.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts