+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Spine Shatter on Volan

Default Spine Shatter on Volan

Why are these circles so unreliable?! Every pull now and then (well, more like every damn pull) one of us Tanks will be hanging out in the circle, and spine shatter will hit the tank, and the raid and will be obliterate the raid.

I've personally tried everything from standing in the circle, dancing in the circle, /victory in the circle.

Already killed Brolan, just a question of curiosity upon how to avoid all that nonsense.
    Isadorable
    <Ten Inches Unbuffed>

I think it is mostly a latency issue.

A few weeks ago when there was a ton of server lag it made volan impossible because every spine shatter would hit the raid despite tanks being in position.

It makes sense for this to be the case, since if the server thinks you are somewhere else it will trigger the aoe damage.

That's not the whole of it. I mean, things going alright with ~300k raid DPS and no deaths. And then this happens:

Obviously the encounter is quite doable, but things like this are a real pain in the ****. And not to mention pretty much any pull where you see "Conquest has started" means you should prepare for repeated Spine Shatter hits.

Others getting the same thing, or am I missing something here?

Ascendant

Not sure if it's a similar issue, but I know I've died a few times on Thrax when near the height of my jump during Greater Tectonic Disturbance (with the game thinking I didn't jump at all)

Quote Originally Posted by Ahov View Post
    Not sure if it's a similar issue, but I know I've died a few times on Thrax when near the height of my jump during Greater Tectonic Disturbance (with the game thinking I didn't jump at all)
    I think I've had something similar there, from times where it was by no means any sort of late jump. During one server lag filled pull other folks had said nonsense had gotten them, and then this happened to me:

A lot of times I take claims with a grain of salt, but there seem to be some recurring issues as of late.

Maybe its just placebo but since I started to not hang in the spot where the circle will spawn and move into it after its spawned don't think it has happened to me.

Quote Originally Posted by bitnine View Post
    That's not the whole of it. I mean, things going alright with ~300k raid DPS and no deaths. And then this happens:

Obviously the encounter is quite doable, but things like this are a real pain in the ****. And not to mention pretty much any pull where you see "Conquest has started" means you should prepare for repeated Spine Shatter hits.

Others getting the same thing, or am I missing something here?
    I think I've had something similar there, from times where it was by no means any sort of late jump. During one server lag filled pull other folks had said nonsense had gotten them, and then this happened to me:

A lot of times I take claims with a grain of salt, but there seem to be some recurring issues as of late.

These both look like server latency issues to me. I wouldn't be even a little surprised if CQ was going on at the same time.

Rift Chaser

For me it feels like it takes a second for the damage is actually being applied. I checked with the other 2 tanks taking the fists and they said the same thing.

We usually wait a second before moving away from the circle, maybe that'll help you.

Quote Originally Posted by Ahov View Post
    same here and its annoying. though it has happened much lately. trion gotta touch up some of these things if they're not going to fix latency issues.

I have also noticed a lot of spine shatters missed lately.
    Last edited by meph1111; 01-23-2014 at 09:20 AM.

Ascendant

Yeah, I've experienced that one twice also. The funny thing is, these aren't even close to failing the mechanic. If it's within a quarter of a second or something, I can understand minor server lag or lag on your end. These are blatantly off.
    Last edited by Ahov; 01-23-2014 at 09:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Temo View Post
    For me it feels like it takes a second for the damage is actually being applied. I checked with the other 2 tanks taking the fists and they said the same thing.

We usually wait a second before moving away from the circle, maybe that'll help you.
    Already tried. It's just a blatant annoyance to be honest, can't reliably stand in the spine shatter during cleanses, in fear of it exploding the whole raid lol.
    Isadorable
    <Ten Inches Unbuffed>

One specific thing that Cyzo or one of his scripting minions thereof could probably do:

In the case of the delayed jump, the DoT from the floor ends up being applied and ticking even after you rubber band back up to the next platform. If the jump itself provided a 5-second buff that caused Disintegrating Ooze to deal 0 damage or granted immunity, hopefully this would cease to be a player/raid killer. Though that doesn't help the original Spine Shatter issue.

Volan can be a bit of a pain. Spine Shatters wiping the raid or picking off folks at inopportune times. Losing pairs of people randomly on platform jumps. Sometimes more. Sometimes nearly everybody in a spectacular display that shows this as a clear server issue. And what's do be done? Perform a voodoo dance in the Spine Shatter circle to appease the server gods and try to daintily edge towards each jump pad until you touch tips?
    #volandocking

Rift Chaser

I think you have to sacrifice a few melee DPS during trash pulls to appease the server gods. Unfortunately Volan has no trash :/

But seriously though, a few weeks ago we had a terrible night on Volan and the only thing that worked was switching to PBB for an hour and then coming back later. The Spineshatter / jump pad problems went away later in the evening... maybe its Conquest, I don't know.
    Last edited by ginc; 01-23-2014 at 01:31 PM.
    Garbageday - mediocre Cleric Tank / Raid Lead for -Vendetta- (Greybriar) - 4/4 Rhen of Fate, 4/5 Mount Sharax

GDAAAY NOOOOO

Rift Chaser

Maybe it's worth it to start checking again on which shard you're raiding? We've had the problem before with Unknown shards making it impossible to raid, maybe something slipped in again.

Quote Originally Posted by Temo View Post
    Maybe it's worth it to start checking again on which shard you're raiding? We've had the problem before with Unknown shards making it impossible to raid, maybe something slipped in again.
    I don't think it's a specific shard. Stuff with Volan seems to happen regularly(we avoid Unknown shard if we can by zoning before raid time). It is annoying when Spine Shatter goes through even though it won't kill you.
    12/12 -- 15/15 -- 9/9
    Comet Of Ankhet -- 2/4HM
    Lethaemis@Laethys 1600 Primalist

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast