+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Put Endurance on Tank Trinkets or Get Rid of Them Entirely

I don't have a problem with trinkets being situational and I would probably argue that in light of finding out Shield of the Static Wind is on a 1min CD it is a stronger option than the CQ trinket more often than not. Given the amount of burst damage and CDs needed on bosses like Crucia, Regulos, HM Gelidra and early in Grim Awakening having an additional one is very helpful.

Maybe it should blow the CQ trinket out of the water across the board, maybe it shouldn't. I'd argue the current balance is actually rather good. There has to be some good gear that non-raiders have access too, otherwise they get mad that they don't get BiS gear for soloing.
    Last edited by Primalthirst; 04-13-2013 at 05:48 AM.
    Nope.

Quote Originally Posted by Primalthirst View Post
    I don't have a problem with trinkets being situational and I would probably argue that in light of finding out Shield of the Static Wind is on a 1min CD it is a stronger option than the CQ trinket more often than not. Given the amount of burst damage and CDs needed on bosses like Crucia, Regulos, HM Gelidra and early in Grim Awakening having an additional one is very helpful.

Maybe it should blow the CQ trinket out of the water across the board, maybe it shouldn't. I'd argue the current balance is actually rather good. There has to be some good gear that non-raiders have access too, otherwise they get mad that they don't get BiS gear for soloing.
    I'm all for balance (that's why I like the dual trinket concept, best of both worlds imo). I guess my main beef is that the endboss of FT has the rare drop, and by the time you get it (unless you get very lucky) is that you'll not need the cooldown help, due to gear. If the trinket came from Zaviel or other early boss, I'd see it as more even, as it'd be there to help you with progression on these hard hitters. Putting at the end of the proverbial content ladder just means it's there for the next round of raids...whereas CQ trink was there for the entire run.
    Lemming (formerly Mrhyde@Belmont), Guild Leader of Black Company on Greybriar
    We are Black Company ~~~ See our recruitment thread!

THIS IS HOW I ROLL
    Raids Mon/Tue/Thur 5:30 server time, 9/9, 2/4, 1/3, 1/3

Quote Originally Posted by Ymirson View Post
    So you don't use it for mitigation, endurance or avoidance. So all tanks are supposed to wait for the tank trinket from Regulos? You're arguing yourself into a corner. The CQ trinket is reliable, in getting it as well as the influence on your tank performance. It's just that, the most reliable option.
    Yes, I am advocating that you keep an empty trinket slot until you get the shielding trinket.
    Last edited by cwharland; 04-13-2013 at 06:41 AM.
    Trinity - Greybriar - Top Guild?
    Bohr - Cleric - (Check out my stream)
    4/4 ToDQ Conq* :: 4/4 FT Conq* :: 5/5 EE Conq* :: 4/4 dat HM
    GP/DH/GsB/RoS/RoTP/HK/PF/ID Conq
    Rift Raid Progression/Parse Site :: www.topofrift.com :: Use it!

Since when has a "BiS" argument of a specific slot taken into account its relative rarity and how easy it is to obtain? What exactly does that have to do with whether or not its optimal for a slot?

All of the weapon BiS are relics, so are a good majority of armor pieces. To get those you'd have to either kill a dragon or do HM, both of which are only options for a set number of guilds. Should those have an asterisk as well? "Would be BiS, but may never drop for you so this other piece of gear is BiS instead." ?

The argument of gear scaling is irrelevant, it'll always be a comparison of 80-something endurance vs a 24k 1 minute CD.
    Last edited by MoonfireSpam; 04-13-2013 at 10:22 AM.
    So long, and thanks for all the fish~

RIFT Fan Site Operator Dunharrow's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MoonfireSpam View Post
    Originally it worked only for 5 seconds after you equipped it...

Then Josh fixed it by turning it into a clicky. But forgot to include a CD on it so it was possible to indefinitely spam activate it to permanently maintain a 50% absorb shield.

Then it was disabled~

Then it was fixed again by slapping a CD on it.

That CD is currently at 1 minute. --> Shield of Static Wind

The other absorb-on-clicky trinket from HK is on a 5 minute timer and considered by and large useless for everything. Maybe that's where the confusion happened.
    Did not know this. Good info, thanks!

Since when has a "BiS" argument of a specific slot taken into account its relative rarity and how easy it is to obtain? What exactly does that have to do with whether or not its optimal for a slot?

All of the weapon BiS are relics, so are a good majority of armor pieces. To get those you'd have to either kill a dragon or do HM, both of which are only options for a set number of guilds. Should those have an asterisk as well? "Would be BiS, but may never drop for you so this other piece of gear is BiS instead." ?

The argument of gear scaling is irrelevant, it'll always be a comparison of 80-something endurance vs a 24k 1 minute CD.
    You're ok with a group level trinket being on par with endgame raid trinkets? Interesting.

THIS IS HOW I ROLL

Quote Originally Posted by Redius View Post
    You're ok with a group level trinket being on par with endgame raid trinkets? Interesting.
    I don't see that statement anywhere. The debate is between two actual in game items. Where they come from is irrelevant in determining their actual use or relative effectiveness as BiS items. The preference of where someone obtains a BiS item is a separate issue reserved for all the raging in threads about getting raid marks from dungeons and what not.
    Trinity - Greybriar - Top Guild?
    Bohr - Cleric - (Check out my stream)
    4/4 ToDQ Conq* :: 4/4 FT Conq* :: 5/5 EE Conq* :: 4/4 dat HM
    GP/DH/GsB/RoS/RoTP/HK/PF/ID Conq
    Rift Raid Progression/Parse Site :: www.topofrift.com :: Use it!

Swing 'n a miss!

I can't even begin to fathom how you got that particular interpretation out of what I said.
    So long, and thanks for all the fish~

if i were u guys id ask for a toggle that dumps x% of main stat into endurance
    like a phase
    that way you dont have to X around gearing twice
    Last edited by Pixel Monkey; 04-13-2013 at 11:03 PM.
    who took my names!

Swing 'n a miss!

I can't even begin to fathom how you got that particular interpretation out of what I said.
    Lets see:

Translation: It doesn't matter where it comes from, BiS is BiS

Translation: you don't care where it comes from, just what it does.

That's where I come up with "You don't care that a raid trinket is on par with a group trinket".

THIS IS HOW I ROLL

CQ trinket says hi ^^

Translation: you don't care where it comes from, just what it does.

That's where I come up with "You don't care that a raid trinket is on par with a group trinket".
    Except that's not what he said.

Saying "this item is BiS, even though it's hard to get" is not the same thing as "the means of acquiring different trinkets is well-designed".

Personally, the introduction of raw stats on trinkets pretty much ruined it.
    Wouldn't mind if trinkets became, trinkets. Not super stat sticks.

Quote Originally Posted by Muspel View Post
    Except that's not what he said.

Saying "this item is BiS, even though it's hard to get" is not the same thing as "the means of acquiring different trinkets is well-designed".
    That is EXACTLY what he said. He said, 'The argument of gear scaling is irrelevant, it'll always be a comparison of 80-something endurance vs a 24k 1 minute CD."

One of those is a raid trinket. One is a group trinket. That is a fact.
    He doesn't care about where they came from, he cares about comparing the results from both. That's what his sentence says. Hence, he doesn't care that a raid trinket and a group trinket are comparable. It may not be what he meant, but it's what he's implied and stated.

THIS IS HOW I ROLL

That is EXACTLY what he said. He said, 'The argument of gear scaling is irrelevant, it'll always be a comparison of 80-something endurance vs a 24k 1 minute CD."

One of those is a raid trinket. One is a group trinket. That is a fact.

He doesn't care about where they came from, he cares about comparing the results from both. That's what his sentence says. Hence, he doesn't care that a raid trinket and a group trinket are comparable. It may not be what he meant, but it's what he's implied and stated.
    Again: no, it isn't.

How easy or hard it is to obtain an item, or where you obtain it has no bearing on whether or not the item is BiS, because BiS literally just means what the strongest item is for that slot. Saying that you shouldn't account for item rarity when determining BiS is a 100% true, and is not in any way a commentary on whether or not the acquisition methods are well designed or well balanced.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast