+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Ardor

Thread: Cleric or Warrior?

Default Cleric or Warrior?

I have both, a Cleric and a Warrior. My warrior Started like a tank but then Trion changed the rules about tanking, i mean the pre sl patches destroyed the souls of the warriors. So i started a Cleric tank. My cleric is now lv58 and i think in less than week (without any efforts) i can reach lv60. So my question is:

You are a Raid Leader and you have a Warrior tank and a Cleric Tank, both with the same level of gear (tier), both knows the fight, Which one you will choose to be your main tank? and Why?.

ty in advance for the replies.
    "No pain, No Gain"
    "The supposition that the newcomers need to "learn to play" or "do better" is silly. ~Daglar"

Each fight can be tanked by any of the three classes that tank. That being said, I like the cleric for heavy aoe fights, their aoe threat is bar none and the fact that they have an extra battle ress is godly but they are good for add tanking. Main tanks I prefer the rogue tank, their cooldowns are godly and they have massive endurance boosts. Warriors are amazing at spellcasting fights and they take hits like cleaves very well.

So in all I think its all three. Each fight is going to have something that is best suited for one class or another, but every fight can be executed with any of the three.

<3 Dani

Core Raid Spots Available --- (Trekkies) Wed/Sun/Mon 9 PM - 12 AM ST :: Holding TRYOUTS for a core raid spots on Mon/Tues, 5:30 PM Server, just send a tell! Must be 3/4 or 4/5 minimum!

Quote Originally Posted by megathalios View Post
    You are a Raid Leader and you have a Warrior tank and a Cleric Tank, both with the same level of gear (tier), both knows the fight, Which one you will choose to be your main tank? and Why?
    It'll change with each encounter. Every tank should have a DPS spec that they maintain (or a healing spec, in the case of a cleric, and even then you should have a DPS spec as well), because some bosses favor different tanks.

The best tank is the most versatile player. I'd rather have a tank who can play half a dozen different roles as needed than one who only knows how to tank.

Also, there's really no such thing as a maintank or offtank in Rift. Every 20-man raid boss requires at least two tanks, and both tanks tend to do things that require the same amount of gear and skill. There's also a handful of 3-tank encounters, so pretty much every raid group is going to have a rogue, a warrior, and a cleric with tank specs.
    Last edited by Muspel; 04-09-2013 at 11:17 AM.

Prophet of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Muspel View Post
    It'll change with each encounter. Every tank should have a DPS spec that they maintain (or a healing spec, in the case of a cleric, and even then you should have a DPS spec as well), because some bosses favor different tanks.

The best tank is the most versatile player. I'd rather have a tank who can play half a dozen different roles as needed than one who only knows how to tank.

Also, there's really no such thing as a maintank or offtank in Rift. Every 20-man raid boss requires at least two tanks, and both tanks tend to do things that require the same amount of gear and skill. There's also a handful of 3-tank encounters, so pretty much every raid group is going to have a rogue, a warrior, and a cleric with tank specs.
    As mentioned, it partially depends on encounter but it also depends on what's available. Personally, I would prefer a Cleric cause if I have too many tanks, I can gain a healer or a DPS, not just a DPS.
    Lathais@Deepwood - <The Praetorians> - 60 Rogue
    Check out this guide Guide for fresh 60's: The One Level 60 Guide - Updated for 2.5
    Check these out:Gaming/Computer Glasses
    My Multi-Touch Table Project

Plane Touched

The short answer is that it really, truly does not matter.

Personally, I don't care what class a potential raid tank is; what I do care about is a) Do they enjoy tanking, b) Have the mastered their chosen class' tank mechanics, c) Can they adapt when I tab target lawl pull the current mob and the one past it, and d) Are the fun to be around and raid with.

That being said... we have found the warriors to be a tad bit squishier than their cleric and rogue counterparts when starting out, but we adapt accordingly and once the wars start getting the next tier of gear it gets easier. But those details have never stopped us from using warrior tanks.

So make of that what you will.
    Alise of Faeblight
    <Synergy>

Dear Trion: 'of Wonderland' title, please. Love, Alise

Like the others have said, it depends on the situation. Play what you enjoy best.

Flexibility is key, though. If you only ever want to tank, and will refuse to go DPS, or (as a cleric) refuse to heal when the situation calls for it, you'll probably wear out your welcome pretty quickly. After all, the real fun and power of Rift is being able to switch among as many as six roles so easily!

Thank you all for the replies.

My warrior is using the following roles: tank1 pally, tank2 void, support, ranged dps and melee dps

My Cleric is using 2 tank roles, 2 roles for healing (tank, raid), one AoE dps and one ST dps role.

So i donīt have problems with the roles. I feel my Cleric is stronger(more tanky ) and more easy for tanking than my warrior.

Thanks again for the replies.
    "No pain, No Gain"
    "The supposition that the newcomers need to "learn to play" or "do better" is silly. ~Daglar"

+ Reply to Thread