+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Remove Rewards from old Conqueror Achievements

RIFT Guide Writer RoughRaptorsOld's Avatar

Default Remove Rewards from old Conqueror Achievements

Has anybody else thought about this? Or am I the only one? I see a ton of groups going for conqueror of pre-SL raids to get the rewards. This will probably come off as elitist, but in my opinion the reward should only be there for as long as the content can remain at the very least, semi-challenging. Sure, you can be a tier or two ahead of the content and it will still be hard for some, but once you are 10 levels higher with double the stats, it becomes trivialized. The achievement no longer becomes an achievement, it is a very simple thing to get, the sense of reward is gone. With the sense of reward gone, why reward those who complete it with great rewards such as the ID mount when it is no longer difficult to obtain? They are called achievements for a reason, you should strive to achieve, go above and beyond, not faceroll old content.

My opinion is that these achievements in the future should be made into Legacy achievements and the reward or achievement itself should no longer be obtainable. I realize it is too late to do this now, as it would be unfair to the people who have already done pre-SL conqueror post-SL, but in the future I believe this might be a good idea.

Thoughts/comments/flames?

I don't see why this is a good idea. It's just alienating people for the purpose of some minuscule feeling of elitism for people who did it at a certain time.

Why stop at just raid Conqueror achievements? Let's remove everything else because it's been made obsolete because people can complete them at a higher level than what the zone/area it's awarded from.
    Last edited by Riane; 02-17-2013 at 01:48 PM.

I dont see this as a problem, provided they give mounts for Conqueror in the next tier of SL raids.
    People can go back for costume gear, mounts are just costumes. But we need some new achievement mounts ASAP, otherwise how will people know im better than them?
    Nope.

Ascendant

I see Rough's argument as akin to Telaran events like carnival.

Those currencies are only available for a limited time. There is no "elitism" involved in removing the activities after a month. It's simply a Legacy event which you can only participate in once a year.

Likewise, what's wrong with limiting raid achievements? I see hypocrisy in anyone who claims limiting event currency/rewards is OK but limiting raid rewards isn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Ahov View Post
    I see Rough's argument as akin to Telaran events like carnival.

Those currencies are only available for a limited time. There is no "elitism" involved in removing the activities after a month. It's simply a Legacy event which you can only participate in once a year.

Likewise, what's wrong with limiting raid achievements? I see hypocrisy in anyone who claims limiting event currency/rewards is OK but limiting raid rewards isn't.
    Why do you think Trion started to adapt "annual" events? They want to allow people to have another chance to earn something that they might not have before. Why were the River of Souls and Waves of Madness mounts added to HK and ROS Chronicles? To give people a chance to earn something that they might not have been able to (or around for).

There's no hypocrisy. Raids aren't a once-a-year ordeal.

RIFT Community Ambassador Slipmat's Avatar

I wouldn't like to see mounts and stuff removed from Conqueror achievements but how about this as a compromise.

First Guild to kill end boss get a unique title, just that 20 raiders, should keep everyone happy, let the mounts stay and maybe add a different title for people that kil it still

It used to be in WoW, strutting around with your 'Conqueror of Naxxramas' or the one for killing Malygos first (been too long, can't remember all the titles) but it just showed you were the first, flex a bit of e-peen without denying anyone a mount, cosmetic item or alternative title.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by RoughRaptors View Post
    I see a ton of groups going for conqueror of pre-SL raids to get the rewards.
    which server/s are these tonnes of groups doing cq on? I still need a few ID achieves to get my lava chicken

P.S removing rewards is a terrible suggestion, if you had suggested groups need to be mentored to 50 to get the chieves that would be more reasonable

don't see why it matters really, soon you will have some other uber mount that no one else has

I dont think its a good idea. After all its a previous content, and most of people know who did it back then. Let people have them now if they want it. Gives them at least a reason to go and finish that achievements and do old content. On the other hand, I agree statue for conqueror is a weak reward. Pet or mount is worth much more and gives better bragging rights

I would like the title thingy, if Trion blocked people crosshard raids taking achievements, unless we talk only World 1st title.

Why not just make it to where anyone who enters old content, is automatically mentored down to level 50?

At least then it stays challenging.
    Pridy Bebe of Mobile Death Squad @Faeblight

DYER the best unofficial Rift forum.

Nah. Person A gets to run around with their cool pixels for weeks/months before person B, that's probably reward enough, if it were needed. Specific raid difficulty gets relaxed over time anyway, and level increases are just a larger extension of that.

Prophet of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by RoughRaptors View Post
    Has anybody else thought about this? Or am I the only one? I see a ton of groups going for conqueror of pre-SL raids to get the rewards. This will probably come off as elitist, but in my opinion the reward should only be there for as long as the content can remain at the very least, semi-challenging. Sure, you can be a tier or two ahead of the content and it will still be hard for some, but once you are 10 levels higher with double the stats, it becomes trivialized. The achievement no longer becomes an achievement, it is a very simple thing to get, the sense of reward is gone. With the sense of reward gone, why reward those who complete it with great rewards such as the ID mount when it is no longer difficult to obtain? They are called achievements for a reason, you should strive to achieve, go above and beyond, not faceroll old content.

My opinion is that these achievements in the future should be made into Legacy achievements and the reward or achievement itself should no longer be obtainable. I realize it is too late to do this now, as it would be unfair to the people who have already done pre-SL conqueror post-SL, but in the future I believe this might be a good idea.

Thoughts/comments/flames?
    And Why?

It doesn't hurt you.

It doesn't effect your game play or life in anyway.

It doesn't remove anything you've done in the same.

So why?

I don't honestly see a problem with it as it still brings people together and incentivizes people to play. The top-end guilds got that stuff months and months ago and had their moment of "zomg where did you get that cool mount?!"

Some guildys who werent playing Rift at the time or were in more casual guilds back when we did it spent a night last weekend getting it. They had a good time, had some laughs, and imo thats all that's important.

Oh and /lick Rough
    WW#5 | NA#2 <Trinity> FT|EE: Conqs
    Prestige Rank 80 | Mage Lead | 17.8k+ Nerd Points

Champion

Right now it's just a fun little thing that new players, casual players, or people who didn't join an endgame guild that was going for achievements for whatever reason can strive for and have some fun with. I don't see how more people getting the mounts makes your mount less cool although maybe I just don't care enough about the things.

Having to mentor down to 50 is also a terrible idea until they make some adjustments. Get into full SL raid gear and mentor down to 50 and check your stats. For most people who had any kind of t2 gear before SL I bet the mentored stats are less than half of what you had before SL.

Ascendant

I'm going to add my voice here. Little good comes out of removing rewards. If you remove the achievements, what little reason people currently had for doing those raids disappears. Even if it isn't hard thanks to DPS, it may still be difficult mechanically, and regardless of whether or not the content is new doesn't change the fact that people are still out there doing it. You remove those achievements, and all you do is take away one more thing that newer players have to do.

Not everyone is on the cutting edge, and the game shouldn't punish latecomers with a 'you snooze, you lose' situation.
    Regardless of what happens, people will always be unhappy. Be thankful for what you have and always be constructive.
    Quote Originally Posted by A Poster View Post
    good or the best
    This quote offers insight into why there are so many perceived balance issues. To some, it doesn't matter how good something is; if it isn't the best, it isn't worth using.

Rift Master

I'm going to play Devil's Advocate since this argument came up all the darn time in WoW. How does it hurt you if somebody else gets at 60 what you got at 50? I mean, you're one of the top players in the game (more or less). It's almost guaranteed that you will be one of the first people to clear content and get Conqueror.

So how exactly are you suffering if you get something and then many months (if not a year or more) later someone else gets the same thing?
    Vaydron @ Threesprings

Leave the "thinking outside the box" part to the people who have raids on farm and are overgeared for content - RoughRaptors

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast