+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Remove Rewards from old Conqueror Achievements

Trion has consistently made all point-granting achievements available to everyone, even if only during an annual world event. Achievements which will no longer be available are literally pointless, and often categorized under Legacy. I assume Trion wants everyone to have a chance to have all the points. There have been dev posts about technical limitations in changing achievement rewards and maintaining existing progress towards them, as they basically recreate the achievement. Removing rewards while maintaining access and progress to achievement points seems like a high-risk, low-or-no-reward venture for Trion.

Personally, I care as much about the points as I do the mounts, but I'm glad the mounts are there to help incentivize people to help me go back and pick up points I am missing.

Quote Originally Posted by RoughRaptors View Post
    Has anybody else thought about this? Or am I the only one? I see a ton of groups going for conqueror of pre-SL raids to get the rewards. This will probably come off as elitist, but in my opinion the reward should only be there for as long as the content can remain at the very least, semi-challenging. Sure, you can be a tier or two ahead of the content and it will still be hard for some, but once you are 10 levels higher with double the stats, it becomes trivialized. The achievement no longer becomes an achievement, it is a very simple thing to get, the sense of reward is gone. With the sense of reward gone, why reward those who complete it with great rewards such as the ID mount when it is no longer difficult to obtain? They are called achievements for a reason, you should strive to achieve, go above and beyond, not faceroll old content.

My opinion is that these achievements in the future should be made into Legacy achievements and the reward or achievement itself should no longer be obtainable. I realize it is too late to do this now, as it would be unfair to the people who have already done pre-SL conqueror post-SL, but in the future I believe this might be a good idea.

Thoughts/comments/flames?
    Yeah, I'd say you are off the mark on this. The achievement is just that and achievement. The level of difficulty is notwithstanding. It's no different than claiming downing an instance boss nerf or pre-nerf. Who cares.

Telaran

Well lets not stop at raids as that would be discriminatory.

Remove every non Storm Legion achieve as they are all trivial now due to 10 extra levels and double stats.

Disable all zone and dungeon achieves once a char gets higher than 1 level beyond the recommended level range for that zone.

After all, if you couldn't get it at the time you obviously don't deserve it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ahov View Post
    I see Rough's argument as akin to Telaran events like carnival.

Those currencies are only available for a limited time. There is no "elitism" involved in removing the activities after a month. It's simply a Legacy event which you can only participate in once a year.

Likewise, what's wrong with limiting raid achievements? I see hypocrisy in anyone who claims limiting event currency/rewards is OK but limiting raid rewards isn't.
    Because events can be completed by anyone. Period. They don't take skill or talent or low latency or gear or anything else like that. Raids, on the other hand, are sometimes simply impossible for certain groups of people. In other words, some people stand 0% chance of clearing some raids... until an expansion comes along and gives them 10 more levels and a pile of extra stats and abilities.

So yes, I agree with Rough:
    ...but in my opinion the reward should only be there for as long as the content can remain at the very least, semi-challenging.
    As long as the content remains challenging it should offer the reward. The content will always be challenging for someone and thus the reward should always be available.
    Avatar by Rotaken on deviantART.

Champion

IMO leave them there. People pay to play the game how they want. Not everybody has the opportunity to clear content and earn the raid achieves before the content is over.
    It really doesnt matter since its only a few people epeens being hurt over some mount. Completing old achieves are part of the game, its makes no difference to me if someone runs around on an old raptor mount, i just stand next to them in my SBP outfit.

All that matters is you know when you did it, whether it was relevant or not.

And yes the world events currency is not availiable for another year, but thats how they were designed. You can still buy the items off the vendors if you have the currency, and if you missed out you have an opportunity to get it the next year!
    Weenz - <Favouritism> Because everyone knows why.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vioarr View Post
    I am the guild leader, how can I possibly be carried?

Plane Touched

Has anybody else thought about this? Or am I the only one? I see a ton of groups going for conqueror of pre-SL raids to get the rewards. This will probably come off as elitist, but in my opinion the reward should only be there for as long as the content can remain at the very least, semi-challenging. Sure, you can be a tier or two ahead of the content and it will still be hard for some, but once you are 10 levels higher with double the stats, it becomes trivialized. The achievement no longer becomes an achievement, it is a very simple thing to get, the sense of reward is gone. With the sense of reward gone, why reward those who complete it with great rewards such as the ID mount when it is no longer difficult to obtain? They are called achievements for a reason, you should strive to achieve, go above and beyond, not faceroll old content.

My opinion is that these achievements in the future should be made into Legacy achievements and the reward or achievement itself should no longer be obtainable. I realize it is too late to do this now, as it would be unfair to the people who have already done pre-SL conqueror post-SL, but in the future I believe this might be a good idea.

Boohoo someone doesn't feel quite as superior anymore!

Trion have been very good at continually allowing different skill levels of players to achieve everything within the game eventually with a rolling program of nerfs to content overtime.

Go back to your hard mode SL raids and enjoy feeling elitist for a few months in them, until the circle repeats itself.

I have never seen such a winging pile of crap as this. Get over yourself, it has naff all effect on you what gear/achievements/mounts others have.

This post could actually be entered into a dictinory under the definition of "Elitism".

Truely im gobsmacked that this kind of opinion still exists, when most people understand the need to break down the elitist/casual/social/harcore barrier to make well rounded games that all demographics of a game can enjoy and help thrive..

Quote Originally Posted by Bowler Hat View Post
    The thousands of casuals whose subs pay for the development of this content have every right to get in there and experience it .If there are no incentives to run older content then nobody would be running it at all.
    I agree with you that incentive to do older content is good. It gets more people doing it and keeps the game alive. However, you brought in the point that paying a sub means you are entitled to experience the content. Okay, I can buy that. Then why do casual players need an incentive to do the content? Unless of course you consider the mount part of the content. I just imagine this conversation:

Casual - I pay a sub, I should get to experience all the content that the hardcore guys do!
    Trion - You will, when we nerf content. However, we will be removing the reward to reflect the decrease in difficulty and have the mount be like a badge of honour aka "nerd points".
    Casual - But now there is no incentive, I don't want to experience the content unless I get a shiny reward!
    Trion - So, you now have access to the content that you previously wanted access to do, but won't do it without an incentive?

Quote Originally Posted by Aerelith View Post
    Lets apply your logic everywhere...

You should no longer then be able to go back and do the water saga. You shouldn't be able to go back and get zone achievement for collecting squirrel tears. You should no longer be able to get any old world achievement. Hell... once you level to 35, you shouldn't be able to get achievements back in the level 1 - 20 zones.

This idea is rediculous when you put it into context.

If people want their nerd points - I say let them. Now lets look at your real motivation: you just want to look cool and exclusive riding around on a new transportation skin. Frankly, it just makes you look like a guy who needs a flashy car to make his shlong look bigger.
    It isn't really that ridiculous. The difference is that the raid content is very difficult at launch and only a small % of top players/guilds can complete it pre-nerf. I personally don't have a problem with recognising that with "nerd points" as you put it, even though I would never be in that position myself. Being able to stand out from the crowd is something people like to strive for, whether it be in an MMO or real life.

While I personally don't care much about achievements/rewards all that much. I understand that others do. So for that reason I don't think the reward should be removed, as then players who do need incentive wouldn't run it and I would have less people to play with.

tl'dr: It ultimately isn't good for the health of the game to remove rewards from old content and reduce the population of players who would do it. Maybe have a super duper shiny "world first" mount awarded to the raiders that complete the content first I guess. Don't completely remove all reward though.
    Biz - L60/P81 Warrior

Rift Chaser

Seriously who cares if someone gets a mount or a pet? Wanting that taken away from players who get it months after you is just a bit selfish . . .its not elitist. But hey if taking away the enjoyment of the game from other people is what you enjoy then more power to you
    Even -Pax Illuminatus- Faeblight Shard
    Oddrit - Pax Illuminatus - Faeblight Shard

Quote Originally Posted by Bizar View Post
    ... I just imagine this conversation:
    Do you often hold imaginary conversations in your head?

Quote Originally Posted by Even View Post
    Seriously who cares if someone gets a mount or a pet? Wanting that taken away from players who get it months after you is just a bit selfish . . .its not elitist. But hey if taking away the enjoyment of the game from other people is what you enjoy then more power to you
    I think its a little of both being selfish and elitism, self-leetism. For example the ID raptors, if i saw someone maybe 2-3 weeks after ID release with a raptor i'd believe they were pretty good.

Now seeing someone with a raptor is just vanilla, very plain and un-extraordinary. But thats what i think, person with raptor is probably just happy to have the raptor, my opinion is inconsequential to this. There is a possibility they got it early on in ID release, and they are one of the top guilds, but at that point its a matter of me acknowledging this, which is also inconsequential to me. Who would want to be recognized for ID these days anyway?
    Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward,
    Whoever cannot take care of himself without that law is both,
    For a wounded man shall say to his assailant "If I die you are forgiven...."

"If I live, I will kill YOU"
    such is the rule of honour.

General of Telara

I dont really agree and here is why.

Ive been going through these old raids and there is nothing really interesting in term of loot. Like when i play wow or everquest 2, going to old raid mean transmog gear. Most of the raid good looking stuff can be found in green or blue items and weapons arent wardrobe(able). Those mounts took some time to make and im sure Trion want alot of people to be able to enjoy it so only limiting it to a handful of players ( like invincible ) seem like a bad choice.

But i am all for a reward to those who were there and did it when it was hard. Thats why i think a title would fit the purpose nicely. Sad if you dont have it but you dont feel like you missed something truly super awesome like the lava raptor (love iiiiit so much :3).

So i guess a title like "The conqueror of Flame" or "Flame Leviathan" or "Dragon Slayer"
    Whatever, most of them would be really nice, people would want it but couldnt. Its more easy to accept the loss of a title then a cool mount.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5