+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Tried TOTDQ last night; am I just squishy or something else?

Rift Master

Default Tried TOTDQ last night; am I just squishy or something else?

My guild attempted TotDQ last night with a mostly new group (I think one or two had done it before) and I ended up being the offtank for the first boss, tanking the bird (DPS is my primary spec). I am a Warrior and was using a 58 Paladin/18 VK spec. Fully buffed I have around 47k health in mostly expert gear (epic legs + feet), crafted belt and head. 400 Toughness, 411 Hit, around 2000 Air Resist (still building sigil as I just hit Revered with Lycini/Torvan and am short Infinity Stones).

I noticed that often I was getting killed by the bird's melee attacks during the kiting/ground AOE phase when he had around 10+ stacks of the buff he gets (he was hitting for about 18k, not counting any absorbs that I had); we would end up either killing the bird during the AOE phase or just after, but before the group stacked up on the boss again (we would start in the left corner near the plant growth, facing the boss, and the tank would pull the boss back there after the AOE phase to make it easier for us to follow). I end up using Aegis of the Light at the start of the kiting phase to help mitigate damage but I have been trying to save Shield Defense; when tanking the bird on top of the boss, outside of keeping up my buffs/debuffs I find myself just spamming Light's Blessing/Balm on myself to help with heals. We were running a Puri (not sure what else) and a Chloromancer as heals. Block, Pacifying Strike and Light's Benediction are kept up 100%; the issue often isn't when I'm actively tanking the bird it's when I'm kiting him around to avoid the spreading ground AOEs; I personally think we're moving way too fast and should just be on the outskirts of the AOE to continue DPSing boss/bird, but we basically go counter-clockwise from the left side of the room to the right side of the room (like 9 to 6 to 3) and then back to the left side (3 to 12 to 9) after the AOE finishes up, so I'm doing a lot of kiting; I do stop when I need to refresh my buffs but I seem to be dying if the bird gets more than 10 stacks while kiting him. To my knowledge I am strafing correctly so I'm not showing my back (and I do hear the "thunk" block noise whilst kiting, but I'm not sure if Rift shows in the log if an attack is blocked or not). We tried three healers and I was able to live but we couldn't meet the enrage timer (as was expected).

Am I just a bit too squishy to tank this currently, or is there something else I'm missing? Also, how many birds should we be killing in ratio to the boss; I know every time a bird dies he gets a stacking buff that will eventually kill us; on our best attempt we had I think 4 birds but boss hit enrage (however we have a bit of stacking issues, and occasionally someone will be just a bit outside for the AOE and get eaten, and another time a healer stopped to heal me with the bird, was targeted and got killed as nobody was there to soak it with him).

Thanks for the help!
    Vaydron @ Threesprings

Leave the "thinking outside the box" part to the people who have raids on farm and are overgeared for content - RoughRaptors

Rift Chaser

I know personally we only kill the bird 1 time . . . sometimes 2 if people are slacking.
    Even -Pax Illuminatus- Faeblight Shard
    Oddrit - Pax Illuminatus - Faeblight Shard

Quote Originally Posted by wayne62682 View Post

Am I just a bit too squishy to tank this currently, or is there something else I'm missing? Also, how many birds should we be killing in ratio to the boss; I know every time a bird dies he gets a stacking buff that will eventually kill us; on our best attempt we had I think 4 birds but boss hit enrage (however we have a bit of stacking issues, and occasionally someone will be just a bit outside for the AOE and get eaten, and another time a healer stopped to heal me with the bird, was targeted and got killed as nobody was there to soak it with him).

Thanks for the help!
    As your players get better gear, you can kill him before he does a second AoE Phase. But for now, try to get him down before he does his third.

This is how we started:

- Tank on boss, tank on bird. Two dps on bird to soften it up but not kill it,
    - Rest of dps on boss
    - Kill bird during the movement phase
    - Always stack right behind boss when standing still.

When your tank(s) are better geared, the maintank can take both bird and boss, and you can just dps the boss all the time, kill bird during aoe phase. Oh, and tank needs to interrupt something on the bird during aoe phase, but I dunno what.

Soulwalker

Raid needs to kill the bird when y'all are kiting to dodge the ae. This does 2 things, 1. you avoid the ground ae and 2. you avoid the ae the bird drops when it gets to a certain% of health. You should only be kiting during the ground ae phase. If the stacks get to high eventually you will not be getting any heals and die. I don't recall if you can do a tank swap for this. We did this last night and think we had 3 birds, only killed 2. It sounds like the raid DPS is low if you are hitting enrage timer. The raid needs to make sure they are not dieing from being out of position. People may need to adjust their specs, or keep hitting experts for gear.

Rift Master

We only hit enrage when we tried to 3-heal it or had people die; otherwise I normally get killed by melee swings from the bird during the first (rare) or second (often) AOE/kiting phase, when I'm trying to run with everyone else to the other end of the room.

Also to confirm, does the Bird do an attack that needs to be interrupted, or is it the boss? I noticed at least once I was hit by something and stunned, but I didn't see what it was.
    Vaydron @ Threesprings

Leave the "thinking outside the box" part to the people who have raids on farm and are overgeared for content - RoughRaptors

Soulwalker

Sounds like the boss is not getting interrupted, I am pretty sure that is where the stun is coming from.

Rift Master

Quote Originally Posted by Caewen View Post
    Sounds like the boss is not getting interrupted, I am pretty sure that is where the stun is coming from.
    It happened very rarely. The main issue that I as offtank was facing was just getting killed by melee from the bird while kiting him; not sure if I wasn't getting enough heals or if a healer stopped to heal somebody else or what, just observations from last night. Other than the stacking, that was what ended up killing us most attempts, I was just dying to the bird's melee using pretty much everything except Shield Defense or Rapture to insta-heal, so I wasn't sure if I'm just low for HP or something, or if it's healers not using the right spell/cooldown, or what.
    Vaydron @ Threesprings

Soulwalker

The stacks are a heal debuff on you, once they get so high you are no longer getting healed. Bird needs to die faster it sounds like.

Rift Master

Quote Originally Posted by Caewen View Post
    The stacks are a heal debuff on you, once they get so high you are no longer getting healed. Bird needs to die faster it sounds like.
    Is it? I thought it was a damage buff that he got. That explains it then.
    Vaydron @ Threesprings

As other posters have said, the bird needs to die during the aoe/kite phase. Also, your puri might not be healing very well while moving, maybe have him cooldown you for this phase. Your gear and spec are fine for that encounter.
    9/9

Telaran

10+ stacks on the bird is when you should start getting concerned as an entry level tank, so those hits aren't unusual. The only thing I will note is that the boss does do a cone debuff that reduces healing incoming, the bird doesn't cleave so you should be standing with the dps/heals and not on the other tank.

Otherwise it sounds like you're doing everything right, including popping a tanking cooldown during the movement to take pressure off healers while they reposition.

You may want to try tanking the falconer next time if your the lesser geared tank, he actually seems to do less damage to the tank than the bird.

Soulwalker

Fufa is right, I had it backwards, boss has the heal debuff. Bird has the incoming damage debuff. But if you are infront of the boss you get the heal debuff as well?

Tank the bird inside the raid, If you're in front of Falconer you'll get the healing debooof!
    Isadorable
    <Ten Inches Unbuffed>

Rift Master

I'm never in front of the boss; I do sometimes drag the bird and go around the boss to get him in position (i.e. bird appears to the side of the raid and I'll move up in front of the tank on the boss and then run through him back to the group, so the bird is on top of the boss) but I don't ever notice a debuff on me that reduces healing so I don't think I'm getting hit with the frontal attack (does that attack have a name? I'm a bit reluctant to go in front of the boss even to position the bird because I don't know what the debuff attack is that I need to avoid). I might start popping Shield Defense since I think I need a bit more than 3s of reduction during the kite phase, and then I can use Aegis for the last few seconds when the bird is dying, like when he's at 20% but just before he blows up.

Other tank is a Rogue, not sure of his gear but I think a bit better geared than I am.
    Last edited by wayne62682; 02-14-2013 at 07:39 AM.
    Vaydron @ Threesprings

As mentioned, if you are in front of the boss, with the bird, you will get the debuff from the boss, what we do is have the bird tank come into the raid so he is behind the Boss.

It will make you less squishy.

Commander of The Watch (http://thewatch.enjin.com)
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness". Terry Pratchett

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast