+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By Carinae

Thread: Issues tanking?? Need some advice.

Soulwalker

Default Issues tanking?? Need some advice.

I played Rift at release for a bit, but didn't really get into it much. I came back recently and am sort of unhappy I left. Anywho!!

I've MT'd in WoW and a few other MMOs in the past. I've never really had much of an issue. Although, in Rift I seem to be running into a speed bump. I have a few questions. I'm not sure if the group as a hole matters in the normal dungeons. I'm only level 23 so far, playing the paladin MT spec I've found on this forum. Even in the case my group was poor in games before, I had no issue tanking any NORMAL instances, heroics and raids are a different story.

I've only had this issue in Darkening Deeps so far, and only really on the spider boss.

1.) As a tank can you carry groups through instances in normal? Am I doing something wrong here?
    2.) Is the healer that important of an aspect that early on in instances to where you can wipe on bosses?
    3.) Are macros completely necessary using this spec http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0c...xhuuRrGkks.-11
    4.) Other than keeping my pacifying strike and aggressive block up, any other important things?

I've done that Darkening Deeps instance one time and had no issue. But, it seems like there is always a problem with the 3rd boss, spider boss.

Anyway thanks for anyone willing to take the time to answer these questions!

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Willard View Post
    I played Rift at release for a bit, but didn't really get into it much. I came back recently and am sort of unhappy I left. Anywho!!

I've MT'd in WoW and a few other MMOs in the past. I've never really had much of an issue. Although, in Rift I seem to be running into a speed bump. I have a few questions. I'm not sure if the group as a hole matters in the normal dungeons. I'm only level 23 so far, playing the paladin MT spec I've found on this forum. Even in the case my group was poor in games before, I had no issue tanking any NORMAL instances, heroics and raids are a different story.

I've only had this issue in Darkening Deeps so far, and only really on the spider boss.

1.) As a tank can you carry groups through instances in normal? Am I doing something wrong here?
    2.) Is the healer that important of an aspect that early on in instances to where you can wipe on bosses?
    3.) Are macros completely necessary using this spec http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0c...xhuuRrGkks.-11
    4.) Other than keeping my pacifying strike and aggressive block up, any other important things?

I've done that Darkening Deeps instance one time and had no issue. But, it seems like there is always a problem with the 3rd boss, spider boss.

Anyway thanks for anyone willing to take the time to answer these questions!
    1) The only way to carry a group as a tank is if you significantly overgear the content. If the mobs are grey and you're in all blue gear this applies.
    2) In general, healer is the most critical role in Rift.
    3) Macro's aren't really needed for Paladin, but they can be helpful for on-block attacks.
    4) Nope. At lvl 54, you'll want to keep up your finisher. Other than that try to do as much damage as possible.

Ok, now some specifics to the 3rd DD boss.

1) Have the group stack behind the spider. This makes it easier for the tank to grab all the small spiders, the group should AoE them down.
    2) All DPS need to switch to the cocoon and break the person out.
    3) This fight frequently requires a backup healer to keep the tank alive if the healer gets a cocoon.

Common failures and their origin:
    1) Dead healer -> Tank didn't aggro the small adds, make sure to save your AoE until spiders run over. Be prepared to spam it a couple of times and individually target stragglers.
    2) Tank dies -> Healer cocooned -> Use a second healer.
    3) People stuck in cocoon -> DPS not switching.
    4) Overwhelmed with spiders -> DPS too low, they need better specs.
    ---------------------------------------------
    Caelem -- Warrior Tank/DPS
    Carinae -- Mage Alt
    Greybriar -- <Last Attempt> 9/9 T1, 2/4 GA, 1/4 IG, 1/5 PBB

Also, just as a heads-up, Rift contains far more cleaving mobs than you're used to from WoW, and said cleaves will generally one-shot any non-tank. Be extremely careful when you're moving or turning enemies, or you can wipe the group instantly.

If I was leveling a tank again my spec would look a little more like this at 23:
    Pally/War/VK http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0cghE.V.A0sxh0z.L.-11

No macros should be necessary, but remember the shield throw is your only taunt outside of Judgement which is down for 1min. Use Sergeant's Order to pull mobs toward you, as long as you have Recovery Posture up it is another taunt.

Make sure Agressive Block is up and keep spamming PS as often as needed.

If I was going to make a macro it would be:

Show# Pacifying Strike
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast Light's Hammer
    cast Sweeping Strike
    cast Pacifying Strike
    Cast Retaliation(Off Global Coolddown)

Hope that helps you.
    <Stasis> Wolfsbane
    Recruiting 10-12 folks for 20man raids or merger!
    Stop by: http://stasis-rg.enjin.com/home

At 60, I only use Paladin for raids.

For dungeons you whant either RV or VK.

Pre SL Go VK (as soon as tempest u don't really loose aggro in AoE mobs), as soon as u go tank in dungeons lvl50+ SL swap to RV as it has better mitigation then VK.

Once 60 and U get enought touchness and about 40K hp it's safe to swap to VK for dungeon.

Protip: Roucheraptors has put an exelent warrior tank guide in the warrior section of class guides. I recommend you to look at it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nestran View Post
    lol, you are the one I could see,
    ToTDQ:4/4 || FT: 4/4 || EE 5/5 || HM (3/4)

Soulwalker

Wow every post in here has been incredibly helpful. Thanks so much guys.

Personally I'm a big fan of Reaver for leveling as a tank since it has such good Ranged aggro in comparison to Paladin especially.
    Nope.

+ Reply to Thread