+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By No Quarter
  • 1 Post By sushicide

Thread: Best MT Class?

Default Best MT Class?

Starting back up after getting to 45ish at launch. I plan to raid here since I hear this IS the best raid game out. I always tank and was wanting insight into what is the best tanking class for end game hard mode raids, strengths and weaknesses etc.

Thank you for your time.

well imo i would say warrior or cleric

self heal like a baws:
    cleric > warrior

use 1 skill and pull a whole room
    cleric > warrior

badassery
    warrior > cleric
    who took my names!

All three are good. The only real differences in ability between the three (currently) are the ways in which they go about getting aggro.

What would really make a person main tank material is high levels of positional awareness (for themselves and for the rest of their raid) as well as good reflexes.

In the current game environment, I personally have had great success tanking just about everything as a rogue tank. My guild uses all three tank classes fairly evenly. In Frozen Tempest(Crucia's raid), we use rogue+cleric for boss 1, rogue + warrior for boss 2, 2 rogues 2 warriors for boss 3, rogue + warrior for boss 4. In Endless Eclipse(Regulos raid), we use rogue+warrior for bosses 1 and 2, cleric and warrior for boss 3, rogue+cleric+warrior for boss 4 and 5. For the 10man it is so easy it really doesn't matter what class tanks it. So going from that, you can see I tank pretty much everything as rogue.
    Last edited by Asaomar; 01-27-2013 at 03:18 PM.
    Beep Beep Ima Jeep@Deepwood http://http://beepbeep.guildlaunch.com
    Asaomar Lv 60 Rogue Tank[Main]-Miniderps Lv 60 Cleric Tank[Alt]-Shederps Lv 60 Mage[Alt]
    Boss Kill videos | My Live Stream
    All T1 Content ClearedGrim Awakening 4/4, Infinity Gate 2/3, Planebreaker Bastion 3/5

There is no best class, all are equally viable.
    Personally I find Rogue most enjoyable because teleports are awesome.

But I actually play my Warrior most because I love theorycrafting and it has more souls to theorycraft.

If I had a gun to my head I'd list the strengths as follows:
    -Riftstalker: Mobility and CDs
    -Justicar: Ease of use and Aggro capability*
    -Palading: CDs and very Easy to play
    -Void Knight: High DPS and Utility
    -Reaver: Magic Mitigation and Picking up mobs

But the differences are very minor.
    Last edited by Primalthirst; 01-27-2013 at 03:38 PM.
    Nope.

RIFT Guide Writer RoughRaptorsOld's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Primalthirst View Post

But the differences are very minor.
    8k dps vs 2k dps...very minor. Warrior is probably the best at the moment just currently because our DPS is extremely OP meaning we can arguably bring more than any other tank class to the table.
    Last edited by RoughRaptorsOld; 01-27-2013 at 04:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RoughRaptors View Post
    8k dps vs 2k dps...very minor. Warrior is probably the best at the moment just currently because our DPS is extremely OP meaning we can arguably bring more than any other tank class to the table.
    I'm also under the impression that 61 VK is the only spec that's capable of outputting that much dps. All other specs are within 3-5K dps, if I'm not mistaken.
    Part of Trinity. "Come for Trunks, stay for Trunks."

Thank you so much guys

Quote Originally Posted by Khuj View Post
    I'm also under the impression that 61 VK is the only spec that's capable of outputting that much dps. All other specs are within 3-5K dps, if I'm not mistaken.
    Thats correct , but also keep in mind raw 61 vk is extreamly squish until you are decently geared in comparison to paladin builds for example thats the trade off.

I would say tanking is very balanced atm.

Even tho warriors are in my mind more superior atm.

But Guilds will suffer stacking 2-3 warrior tanks due to gear issues.

And some fights other classes are better.
    Just click it!

Quote Originally Posted by xxar View Post
    Thats correct , but also keep in mind raw 61 vk is extreamly squish until you are decently geared in comparison to paladin builds for example thats the trade off.
    Mildy squish. I tank FT/EE in 61vk with mostly dungoen gear. (started out using 61vk with all dungeon gear/blues) Just gotta know when to use CDs.
    Misterwar <-Virus-> 5/11 Warborne <Yakisoba> 5/11 Warborne <Apotheosys> 0/11

Champion

All 3 tanks can tank most fights equally but at low gear levels rogues proved to be the most effective, and also the rogue HP cooldown is very useful in a raid enviroment when you know a big hit to the entire raid is coming. Plus rogues have a lot of cooldowns to use and generally have the most HP as their modifier is the best (in the right spec). The ability to blink everywhere makes for great mobility and can let the rogue survive longer if they can get out of melee.

Warriors: 61 vk does a lot more damage, but lacks the cd's of other specs, but on the other hand 58 paladin has really nice cd's, and coupled with a 1 min 30 full heal on himself and 10 raid remember is very powerful for 10 man fights and in the right place for 20 man. Reaver is kinda lack luster in comparison, but has good aoe damage but there are not many fights where thats applicable.

Clerics: Lack the good cd's of other classes but make up with easyness of ranged aggro and the ability to do semi decent healing, (about 2-2.5k hps st) so are really good at picking up adds aswell due to the healing aggro.

Personally i play a warrior tank, but im envious of our rogue tank as the HP to the raid cd (3200) is very effective and he has the most cd's to use. But he hates me cause my dps is so much higher

I think all 3 tanks are pretty effective in their own ways and nearly in-line with one another. I still love Rogue tanking the most though.

RiftScene.com - The Only RiftNerd Fansite You Need

Best tank, Roughraptors.
    4/4 Frozen Tempest, 5/5 Endless Eclipse

Need more mage tank fights

Raspuddin

+ Reply to Thread