Closed Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Is Melee dead or dying?

Default Is Melee dead or dying?

What is it with Trion and melee unfriendly fights?

I returned to Rift a few weeks ago from a 6 week break in WoW (Rift is so much better) and have levelled up to 60 and not having enough hit to to the expert dungeons (which I have been told dont vary that much from normals) I have been doing all the new dungeons on normal.

History is repeating itself or Trion is making the same mistakes they made at Rifts launch. Almost every fight is focussed on ranged mechanics, with a couple of exceptions. I enjoy varied mechanics while doing dungeons and I am not adverse to ranged mechanics as the build I have is good st, aoe and ranged dps (warrior), but it seems almost every fight is stand here range the boss and adds, move out of aoe, rinse and repeat. While the dungeons were interesting when experiencing them for the first time, they are now just a grind to try and get enough hit to move onto experts.

I understand that Trion is trying to get people interested in the new souls and they appear to be structuring the fights to make you invest in those souls but they seem to have forgotten the melee classes. I like Melee, I like giving the bosses or adds a haircut with my dirty great sword, axe or mace, I like smashing stuff with my weapons, not standing 30 feet away and casting magic (or what Trion calls abilities, but its magic) at everything fight after fight.

Regardless of what you may think of WoW, Melee classes are catered for in the fights, so why does Trion have such a problem creating mechanics in dungeons that suit all classes? They stuffed it up when Rift first came out ( I remember you couldnt get an invite to LH if you werent ranged) and over an extended period of time they gradually made the instances and raids more "Melee friendly". Why cant they do this at the release of an instance or raid instead of making lepers of melee classes.

Is it easier for the devs to make raids and instances reliant on ranged mechanics? I dont care, I pay good money to play a first class MMO with lots of classes and builds only to find that the dungeons and raids need you to play certain types of builds only. Before SL's release the raids and dungeons were brilliant, it didnt matter what class or build you were there was a place for you in the group and you just had to adjust your thinking to suit the class you were playing.

IMO Trion has been doing this long enough to know better and should stop flipping the bird to the melee classes.
    Last edited by Haruchai; 01-23-2013 at 05:10 PM.

Melee isn't dead, it just takes a lot more attention to play. Both PvE and PvP.
    Even free cost too much now

Quote Originally Posted by Credo View Post
    I pay attention but it seems you can melee as long as you are not interested in doing even semi decent dps. i am not sying its impossible to melee in fights but why would you, you would spend so much time running away from stuff or avoiding aoe's that it simply isnt feasible to do it. if you were in my group when doing the instances as they are now and you were trying to melee everything you would probably get kicked for lack of dps. if I was trying to melee all the fights i would expect to get kicked for the same reason.

Rift Master

There are actually quite a bit of fights you can melee on. Problem is, if the tank doesn't account for you meleeing and moves in irregular patters/turns the boss around, you get smoked. I get tanks where I can melee with 0 issues, then I get tanks and I die constantly. Some bosses even take more damage from melee in certain phases, or, melee are exempt from certain damage abilities.

The biggest problem is, not for warriors, though, as their melee spec laughs at their ranged spec damage wise, that rogue melee specs do not deal enough additional damage to warrant a use over their ranged counterparts.

Our warriors are 90% melee in any raid encounters, save Typhiria in TotDQ, but according to her buffs, you should be able to melee her.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Credo View Post
    This pretty much, you can melee almost any boss in experts and almost any boss in raids..only example I can think of where I wouldn't consider playing melee is Jultharin in the 10 man. Melee just requires a better understanding of mechanics.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluelightt View Post
    This pretty much, you can melee almost any boss in experts and almost any boss in raids..only example I can think of where I wouldn't consider playing melee is Jultharin in the 10 man. Melee just requires a better understanding of mechanics.
    I havent raided any of the new content though I am lookin forward to it. The mechanics in the new dungeons though dont make it feasible to be melee, the dps loss of constantly trying to avoid stuff or run away as you wouldnt be actually hitting anything would make melee a liability not an asset.

Iri
    Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Haruchai View Post
    Almost every fight is focussed on ranged mechanics, with a couple of exceptions.
    This is not really true. There are fights where fighting from actual range is a problem, or at least more challenging... but it's a problem that is simply solved by having the ranged dps stand in melee. There's nothing stopping it, and because melee doesn't really pull more dps than ranged as a rule there's no reason for people to learn melee well enough to do a good job at it in fights where it's a little more challenging.
    Quote Originally Posted by Daglar View Post
    I wanted to come out and say the following pretty definitively: There is no goal to make DPS clerics that DPS do less damage than other callings.

Champion of Telara

What is it with Trion and melee unfriendly fights?
    Do you raid? Every single raid encounter except for maybe one is melee friendly or melee preferred.

Quote Originally Posted by Iri View Post
    This is not really true. There are fights where fighting from actual range is a problem, or at least more challenging... but it's a problem that is simply solved by having the ranged dps stand in melee. There's nothing stopping it, and because melee doesn't really pull more dps than ranged as a rule there's no reason for people to learn melee well enough to do a good job at it in fights where it's a little more challenging.
    So what you are saying is why have melee at all when ranged can do the same thing. alot of you are saying melee can do this and that but are you really melee or are you just doing melee occasionally and ranging the rest. Do you all understand what melee actually is?

Quote Originally Posted by Ayona View Post
    Do you raid? Every single raid encounter except for maybe one is melee friendly or melee preferred.
    No I havent raided the new content yet as Im still trying to get myself and the rest of the guild up to snuff for it. You give me hope that there is at least light at the end of the tunnel.

Ascendant

Melee is compensated by having better dps than ranged.

the few times that I actually do something other than tank during current level content(raids/expert dungeons) I'm either playing bard, or I'm meleeing as nightblade.
    Beep Beep Ima Jeep@Deepwood http://http://beepbeep.guildlaunch.com
    Asaomar Lv 60 Rogue Tank[Main]-Miniderps Lv 60 Cleric Tank[Alt]-Shederps Lv 60 Mage[Alt]
    Boss Kill videos | My Live Stream
    All T1 Content ClearedGrim Awakening 4/4, Infinity Gate 2/3, Planebreaker Bastion 3/5

No I havent raided the new content yet .
    Why would you even start this thread then.. You've founded your opinion based purely on what you've heard and you're adding to that problem.

Melee is fine and in fact, ahead in dps.

<Trinity>
    Aussie Dudebro
    Cleric : 4/4 : 5/5
    ~NA First Infinite Perfection~

Quote Originally Posted by Ahov View Post
    Melee is compensated by having better dps than ranged.
    thats not the question... the real question is why melee at all?

Melee= subject to disconnects, risk of dieing to mechanics or other variables

Ranged = Supposedly less dps, manages disconnects relatively better. I believe if melee gets too many disconnects then the margin between melee and range becomes non existent at best.

I've been in cases where i am the one at range and others are meleeing it. Melee dies due to whatever reason, tank derp, mechanic derp, heal derp, but i'm still there. In some cases ranging it is preferred over melee.

And in some cases being in melee requires some measure of extra attention by the healers, my logic on that is why make the healer blow cool downs on you, just range it and let them save it for someone who needs it.

In the end being at ranged sometimes saves not only you a headache, but others aswell.
    Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward,
    Whoever cannot take care of himself without that law is both,
    For a wounded man shall say to his assailant "If I die you are forgiven...."

"If I live, I will kill YOU"
    such is the rule of honour.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by DemonRage View Post
    thats not the question... the real question is why melee at all?

Melee= subject to disconnects, risk of dieing to mechanics or other variables

Ranged = Supposedly less dps, manages disconnects relatively better. I believe if melee gets too many disconnects then the margin between melee and range becomes non existent at best.

I've been in cases where i am the one at range and others are meleeing it. Melee dies due to whatever reason, tank derp, mechanic derp, heal derp, but i'm still there. In some cases ranging it is preferred over melee.

And in some cases being in melee requires some measure of extra attention by the healers, my logic on that is why make the healer blow cool downs on you, just range it and let them save it for someone who needs it.

In the end being at ranged sometimes saves not only you a headache, but others aswell.
    If you're not concerned with soft/hard enrages, then by all means run pure ranged. Some fights are more ranged-friendly, sure. But when you're trying to get your first kill and the dps check is intense, you will want to run as many melee as you can.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast