+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Is it possible to PUG a dungeon? Even a Normal one?

Quality of actual groups aside, the lack of activity in older dungeons is basically the natural evolution of the MMO genre progress. Missing the launch of any content, particularly over 3 months or more, tends to leave you behind on the ability to do it consistently at your leisure. In this case, being nearly 2 years late to level to 50, let alone 60, has left you with a very thin pool of players who may be in the same boat, but could also just be looking to blitz alts to the generally misnamed "endgame" to do things there. Simply spamming IAs or just questing is, in turn, likely to be more reliable and safe for them.

As someone who's not really a dunegon person but ran all the old experts back when my guild as active, I'll just say you're not missing much. I always hated the runs where I was tanking and people were like, "Run, run, run!" to mass collect trash when my abilities had a limit on the number of targets they could hit, usually resulting in someone dying because they were targeting things my stuff simply wasn't acting on. And while I know some love that speed rush style of play, it just isn't for me. Rather, it felt like people were rushing because they didn't like the fact they had to do the dungeon to get whatever. And that sort of obligation is a never a good sign for content quality.

Your experience is definitely not what I've had. I haven't seen a pug fail since 2011.
    Nope.

Quote Originally Posted by Primalthirst View Post
    Your experience is definitely not what I've had. I haven't seen a pug fail since 2011.
    How much have you pugged storm breaker?

Quote Originally Posted by Primalthirst View Post
    I can probably count the number of weeks during which I haven't pugged anything at all on the fingers of one hand... >__>

Hasn't quite gotten to the point of pug FT/EE yet, but I've pugged some ToDQs~
    So long, and thanks for all the fish~

Quote Originally Posted by TheGrinnz View Post
    How much have you pugged storm breaker?
    A few times, usually everyone left before we even engaged trash. I'm not really counting that as a fail since no-one even attempted! Any time we've gotten to the first boss we've cleared the whole instance without a wipe.

Quote Originally Posted by MoonfireSpam View Post
    I can probably count the number of weeks during which I haven't pugged anything at all on the fingers of one hand... >__>

Hasn't quite gotten to the point of pug FT/EE yet, but I've pugged some ToDQs~
    Okay I wasn't referring to raids, just 5 mans. But for raids I think maybe 2-3 RoS pugs and 1 GP pug I was in failed during 2012, my one TotSQ pug this year went very smoothly.
    Last edited by Primalthirst; 01-22-2013 at 03:41 AM.
    Nope.

Quote Originally Posted by m1nus View Post
    You can but I will give you tips since I've been PUG'ing dungeons in MMOs for a long time (PUG'ed my way to L52 in Rift dungeons since my guildmates are mostly L60 and are doing experts or raids):

* Look up the names of the dungeons that your level will allow you to do.
    * Spend 30 minutes reading how the boss fights/mechanics work.
    * Optional: you can supplement your research above by watching YouTube vids.

The reason the first two are important is because PUGs are unforgiving. They expect you to know how the fight works because otherwise you wouldn't be PUG'ing it. Your guild should teach you how to do these dungeons. But if you want to PUG, you better do some advance reading which will make PUG'ing a lot better.
    frankly this. most people you encounter in a pug will expect you know what to do because they have been doing it for, i don't know, maybe the last 2 years.

over. and over. and over. and over. and over. and (do you get the drift)

just try to make it as easy on them and yourself as possible by watching vids and knowing content. its what you would know if your guild would bother to step up and run you through stuff.

i personally have very little tolerence for people who mess up on the easiest of content. i expect to get in, get it done, and get out within a reasonable amount of time. there are no more 2 hour dungeons.

at the onset of SL, dungeons took a bit longer as people required gear or explanations to do content.

once upon a fairy tale, regular experts or standard dungeons also garnered patience for above reasons (which are now 1.5-1.75 years out of date)

basically... do what you can to make things easier for your group and yourself.

also there's no shame in asking. the worst is a player that INSISTS they know, yet continually fails.

Champion

Also why guild run, the normal low level dungeons even level 50 people can solo. Just find a friend who will run it through with you, and you have all the loot and xp in the world. You don't even need healers for the normal pre-SL

As for the experts pre-SL and if your level 60 then you also don't need a group, just run them with a friend. If you have some sort of heal spec and can toss in a heal every now and then on the person doing it for you then there is no need for drinks either.

Quote Originally Posted by arus2001 View Post
    I always hated the runs where I was tanking and people were like, "Run, run, run!" to mass collect trash when my abilities had a limit on the number of targets they could hit, usually resulting in someone dying because they were targeting things my stuff simply wasn't acting on. And while I know some love that speed rush style of play, it just isn't for me. Rather, it felt like people were rushing because they didn't like the fact they had to do the dungeon to get whatever. And that sort of obligation is a never a good sign for content quality.
    Lol, I prefer the "rush" style for two reasons. My favorite spec is Dominator which is an AoE soul that caps on dmg potential at 60 targets. Not very often that you get anywhere near 60 targets but as long as I can find a tank willing to keep pulling without losing agro and a healer who can keep people alive then yes, bring on as many mobs as you can and I'll be doing the happy dance while laughing like an evil maniac as numbers fly on my screen. The second reason is because I enjoy running dungeons and downtime (running from one mob to the next without getting to do any combat) is bothersome. I'd much rather have a single consistent pull that never left you without any mobs so that you could just keep on dpsing without stopping while moving through the dungeon. Plus this also gives the added benefit of allowing me to run more dungeons since they don't take as long.

Quote Originally Posted by Frailaq View Post
    Lol, I prefer the "rush" style for two reasons. My favorite spec is Dominator which is an AoE soul that caps on dmg potential at 60 targets.
    Technically 10 targets, but that would be assuming they all stay alive long enough. I don't believe Lightning Wall has a target cap though

I was going off Mass Betrayal because while it only directly hits 10 targets, it causes damage to as many as 60 unless I'm reading it wrong and it's actually 70... which the more I look at it the more it seems may be the case.

I took another look at the tooltips and was a little surprised by what I found:
    • Traitorous Influence hits 6
    • Gravity Void is 8 targets
    • Storm Shackle damages 8
    • Mass Exhaustion (CC, not dmg) does not list a number
    • Grasping Void does not list a number
    • Void Wall does not list a number
    • Lightning Wall does not list a number
    • Nyx's Orb does not list a number
    • Forked Lightning hits 8 if talented - SC ability but commonly used in 61 dom

There are a lot more abilities that don't state a max number of targets than I thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Frailaq View Post
    I was going off Mass Betrayal because while it only directly hits 10 targets, it causes damage to as many as 60 unless I'm reading it wrong and it's actually 70... which the more I look at it the more it seems may be the case.

I took another look at the tooltips and was a little surprised by what I found:
    • Traitorous Influence hits 6
    • Gravity Void is 8 targets
    • Storm Shackle damages 8
    • Mass Exhaustion (CC, not dmg) does not list a number
    • Grasping Void does not list a number
    • Void Wall does not list a number
    • Lightning Wall does not list a number
    • Nyx's Orb does not list a number
    • Forked Lightning hits 8 if talented - SC ability but commonly used in 61 dom

There are a lot more abilities that don't state a max number of targets than I thought.
    Indeed, most often it is ground-placed abilities that do not have a max, or positional abilities such as Sentry Battery. But then there are many that do.

As for Mass Betrayal, when there are 10 targets you can achieve its maximum DPS potential, because the 6 targets each triggers can be found within those same 10 targets. But they will all die much more quickly than if you had additional targets to hit; essentially with more targets, the damage is spread out, and since it's usually overkill on only 10 targets, you end up with more damage if there are more enemies to spread the damage.

For the same reason Cabalist at a cursory glance can achieve its maximum DPS with 8 targets, because Tyranny spreads to 8 targets then each Tyranny explodes to damage the same 8 targets. However this isn't really true for Cabalist for a couple reasons: firstly, Tyranny can be spread to more than 8 targets by using Bound Fate multiple times, and secondly, it gets its maximum DPS by triggering Tyrannies with mob deaths, which of course requires more than 8 targets because one of them needs to die to trigger it.
    Last edited by TheGrinnz; 01-22-2013 at 11:54 AM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2