+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How much spell resist do raid bosses have?

Soulwalker

Default How much spell resist do raid bosses have?

Hi im a mage and i am offered multiple chances to ingore my targets resistance by x% when filling my soul trees. My question to the devs is how much spell resist do NPC's have so i know how much of my damage is being midigated so i can make use of my soul points to bypass this. Please do not try to answer unless you are a dev or you have proof from a dev about this. I have searched everywhere and no1 has been able to tell me anything about rift NPC spell resist stats.

Quote Originally Posted by Headies View Post
    Hi im a mage and i am offered multiple chances to ingore my targets resistance by x% when filling my soul trees. My question to the devs is how much spell resist do NPC's have so i know how much of my damage is being midigated so i can make use of my soul points to bypass this. Please do not try to answer unless you are a dev or you have proof from a dev about this. I have searched everywhere and no1 has been able to tell me anything about rift NPC spell resist stats.
    Why not test it yourself on a target dummy? DoTs do not have any damage variance, so you can easily see exactly how much damage the target is mitigating based on how much less damage it's doing than the tooltip would indicate.

Okay, did a bit of quick testing and napkin math. Made a level 60 cleric on the PTS, and with a 0/0/0 spec, Vex was ticking for 325 on the target dummy. According the tooltip, it should do 3823 damage over 15 seconds. It ticks ten times, so this means it should be ticking for 382.3 damage prior to mitigation.

325/382.3=85.01%

So it looks like raid bosses have 15% resistance. Now, the resistance formula for players is R%=R/(R+2947).

By working backwards through that formula, we can see that bosses have 520 resistance. A talent that lets you ignore 10% of their resistance will therefore bring them down to 468 resistance, which offers 468/(468+2947)=13.70% damage reduction. This will bring your damage up by (1-.137)/(1-.15)=1.5%.

In practice, you're probably going to see slightly different numbers-- resistance varies a bit in effectiveness when there's a level difference between the attacker and the target, and bosses are two levels higher than you. Still, this should give you a ballpark idea of how effective these talents are.
    Last edited by Muspel; 01-19-2013 at 12:02 PM.

I haven't done any testing but I do recall being told by someone in Alpha it was approximately 12% damage reduction due to Armor/Resistance. That 12% could be against targets the same level in which case against players it would be a bit higher.
    Last edited by Primalthirst; 01-19-2013 at 03:26 PM.
    Nope.

+ Reply to Thread