+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Looking For Raiding and Community Better Than WoW

Default Looking For Raiding and Community Better Than WoW

*EQ2 seems to have a clunky feel to it combat wise.
    *SWTOR has been taken over by kiddies because of the free to play aspect. It's raids were not very good from our perspective anyway.
    *GW2 is a single player game unless you PVP.

So I am looking at RIFT.

I played at launch and got to 43 on my Cleric Tank. I didn't experience end game raiding as my WoW guild wouldn't move.

Now I am looking to get into serious raiding again, and well, WoW just is not it.

I have a crew of about 5 players that are looking for the same.

Can you tell me, I have read that RIFT raiding is like Burning Crusade raiding but better.

I have already seen the RIFT systems and how they are better than WoW and more refined. I imagine raiding is awesome but most importantly difficult and community building.

Your opinion is welcome and I will consider it with great weight.

Thank you for your time.

Deja
    Last edited by Dejablue; 01-14-2013 at 03:58 PM.

Didn't play WoW so I can't really compare them for you, but maybe you might get something from watching a few of the uber boss kills in the past ^^

Regulos (final boss of Endless Eclipse, if you go behind him, you're gimped! Hard boss is hard):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=qgqTwinDndk

Laethys (hardest boss of Infernal Dawn, many mechanics like Power draining, reflecting, dodging things, squirreling things, heavy tank damage and AoE healing, etc):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imp4AVdUQvg

Akylios: Mostly known as the most spectacular encounter in Vanilla Rift, very hard 18minute fight which required perfection:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1R921RAfw0o

Crucia, last boss of Frozen Tempest, start with mecha phases and fight Crucia in various phases. Last phase keeps throwing **** at the raid until it kills you or you kill it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4aOui14J5w

Some fights like Akylios and Laethys had the potential to disband guilds due to their difficulty. Until they get nerfed into facerolledness.
    Valery@Zaviel - Mage | Valzz - Cleric | Soulsky - Rogue | Introvert - Warrior
    Everything you need to know for Mage: www.valvalval.net

My opinion (for what it's worth) is that the glory days of RIFT raiding have come and gone. Hammerknell was probably the last great raid this game will see. It was a well-crafted, fun instance that really got the community rolling and unfortunately, nearly zero of its aspects were carried over into future raids.

After Hammerknell, both raids and the raid community devolved into something ugly. Top guilds have lost the ability to step back and congratulate each other, it all becomes finger pointing and excuse making over why they didn't win first. A lot of guilds quit the game for that reason alone, but also for the fact that the raids became pretty simple. Too simple to justify the unbearable chore that the general game seems to have become.

Storm Legion added in a few things, but seems to me (again, just my opinion) to have focused on defining what players CAN'T do, rather than expanding on what they COULD do.
    Morseus - P80 Defiant Mage
    Durandal - P70 Defiant Warrior
    Varkas - P3x Defiant Rogue

Plane Walker

"tough bosses" take a week to kill? Progressive raiding in a competitive atmosphere that develops a healthy community takes content that provides challenges for months, not days/weeks. Rift is not designed for it.

Raid because you enjoy it. Looking for competition, respect, or anything else from a 2-3 week raid progression cycle(per raid instance) is going to disappoint you everytime.

Quote Originally Posted by Jebasiz View Post
    "tough bosses" take a week to kill? Progressive raiding in a competitive atmosphere that develops a healthy community takes content that provides challenges for months, not days/weeks. Rift is not designed for it.

Raid because you enjoy it. Looking for competition, respect, or anything else from a 2-3 week raid progression cycle(per raid instance) is going to disappoint you everytime.
    I remember wiping for 56hours on Akylios and it took something like 2 months to kill Laethys personally x_x

Current tier of end bosses only lasts a couple of weeks of progress on them individually though. But it is the first tier of content for the expansion sooo... We'll see what's in store with the next raid and hardmodes.
    Last edited by Soul sky; 01-16-2013 at 01:35 PM.
    Valery@Zaviel - Mage | Valzz - Cleric | Soulsky - Rogue | Introvert - Warrior
    Everything you need to know for Mage: www.valvalval.net

Quote Originally Posted by Soul sky View Post
    I remember wiping for 56hours on Akylios and it took something like 2 months to kill Laethys personally x_x

Current tier of end bosses only lasts a couple of weeks of progress on them individually though. But it is the first tier of content for the expansion sooo... We'll see what's in store with the next raid and hardmodes.
    I feel the first tier is the gearing one in the exp and original. I hope they continue the same trend they did back at launch. Tier 2 and 3 will possess more challenge since we will be raid geared for them.

Plane Walker

IMO, damn near everything should be Laethys or Akylios in difficulty. I miss encounters that through execution standard and mechanics really put forward some difficulty. I know people mention it a lot..but 'back in the day'..a raid progression cycle taking 4-5months(of a 7 month expansion cycle) was pretty much the standard, for all but the top guilds, and by top guilds..I mean those that raided 35-40hours a week..and simply never stopped. Calling out sick from work to get open world spawns..raiding to 4am and getting up the next day..going to work, and raiding til 1am again. Instancing has made gaming 'soft'.

Default Searching Endlessly

I am looking for more kills like Vael in WoW, which took my guild 3 months to get server first. Vashj, TK trash and KT.

Like is stated above, having this level of difficulty fosters a community.

I am tired of casual, lazy, incompetent, instant gratification, children, anti social, self important players getting their easy mode bosses because they are all those things listed and refuse to participate in a community.

Lets the masses have their free to play games and let me pay good hard money to participate in a competitive community that takes the hobby seriously.

The most "successful" MMO, WoW, built its 12 million subscriber base with Classic and Burning Crusade. With welfare epics in BC and looking for group sealing the casual deal in Wrath of the Lich King a mass exodus of veteran players left. I am one of those that didn't leave, but I am ever searching, not for that first fix of WoW as my first MMO, SWTOR proved that belief to be wrong as it was awesome and is the ONLY game that made me quit WoW. Unfortunately end was, well, let's not go there.

So, after my rant, I apologize, is RIFT close to the polished hard core game that WoW once was?

Thank you for your time.

Quote Originally Posted by Dejablue View Post
    I am looking for more kills like Vael in WoW, which took my guild 3 months to get server first. Vashj, TK trash and KT.

I am tired of casual, lazy, incompetent, instant gratification, children, anti social, self important players getting their easy mode bosses because they are all those things listed and refuse to participate in a community.

Lets the masses have their free to play games and let me pay good hard money to participate in a competitive community that takes the hobby seriously.

The most "successful" MMO, WoW, built its 12 million subscriber base with Classic and Burning Crusade. With welfare epics in BC and looking for group sealing the casual deal in Wrath of the Lich King a mass exodus of veteran players left. I am one of those that didn't leave, but I am ever searching, not for that first fix of WoW as my first MMO, SWTOR proved that belief to be wrong as it was awesome and is the ONLY game that made me quit WoW. Unfortunately end was, well, let's not go there.

So, after my rant, I apologize, is RIFT close to the polished hard core game that WoW once was?

Thank you for your time.
    I can expand on it if you wish, but a bowl of cereal is calling for me, so I'll keep it short.

Not Polished
    Not Hard Core
    Not WoW

Decent soundtrack, pretty to look at if you run on high settings and are in an area that isn't mapped poorly, but otherwise probably not what you're looking for, especially if you're trying to avoid children and self-important players in the high-end raiding scene.

Soulwalker

All I see here is that Raiders lack the ability to be happy with anything. Seriously, read all the posts. Its all "glory days" and "sacrifice life for gaming."

I thought I liked to complain.

I actually WAS happy for a long time, and defended this game to people time upon time upon time. SL just made some poor game design decision that caused the game to cease to be fun to me.

Though if you want to insult those who granted their opinions when they were literally asked for it, that's cool too.

Prophet of Telara

OP sounds too hang up on warcraft to recommend anything. You need what I did, take a couple years off and play a new game.

If you really truly believe you're not then I'd say raiding here is a bit better atm, although the last tier pre-expac 20man had 6/8 encounters massively under-tuned, and one of the two decent ones had a joke enrage. SL raids are Tier 1 and the way they were released screams gsb/ros to me which is promising because that means we can hope on a big HK-esque (maybe with a few less bugs) 2nd tier 20man with lots lots of bosses.

Plane Walker

Quote Originally Posted by Silus View Post
    I can expand on it if you wish, but a bowl of cereal is calling for me, so I'll keep it short.

Not Polished
    Not Hard Core
    Not WoW

Decent soundtrack, pretty to look at if you run on high settings and are in an area that isn't mapped poorly, but otherwise probably not what you're looking for, especially if you're trying to avoid children and self-important players in the high-end raiding scene.
    Raiding in WoW was never more then mildly challenging and that was only briefly IMO. The sorry excuse for 'raiders' that infested most 'raid guilds' did more to make things difficult then blizzard ever did.

Quote Originally Posted by Dejablue View Post

Thank you for your time.
    BC was only tough because of the gated content due to attunements. DPS classes spammed one or two buttons much like Rift does with a couple macros. Also wow doubled it's subscriber base after BC.

You may think that Wow was harder but in reality players got better, mods were improved upon and community websites helped players learn the best builds to be successful.

I find Rift harder only because the wealth of information is not available at your fingertips.

Thank you for your time guys.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast