+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How much health to tank an Expert?

Rift Master

Default How much health to tank an Expert?

My guild recently had to rebuild, and because of that I said I would look into working on my tank spec and gear for Experts and raids if necessary. I've cobbled together a good bit of pieces from running Experts as DPS (all my IS gear and Slayer's marks have gone to DPS so far, but I did buy the IS tanking hands last night); I'm only missing a belt (using the crafted DPS belt) and need to upgrade my Seal (using a +48 End seal) and shield (using some random blue world drop that has Attack Power of all things and no Block/Dodge/Anything). Sitting at like 360 Hit and 375 Toughness.

My health in a tank spec (Reaver, for example purposes) is 37,800 (without essences yet). Is that good enough for Experts? I've read a bunch of conflicting reports on the forums; some even said about 45k but that seems impossible to get without raid gear or 2x upgraded IS gear. Trying to convince guildies to run with me since I don't want to tank for pugs (also I haven't tanked these dungeons, so while I know the fight mechanics from a DPS point of view I'm sure I'm going to mess up on the tank-specific parts at least once).

While on that subject, what's the ideal health for raid tanking? I'm guessing around 40-45k would be around what you'd get with Expert/crafted/purchasable gear.

As long as your at Toughness cap your HP is definitely good enough for Experts.
    When people say 45k before starting Experts they mean close to full BiS Crafted Gear with BiS augments.

For raid tanking you should definitely be 50K+ without any raid gear. Afaik our backup Warrior has no raid tanking pieces and makes 53k raid buffed.
    Last edited by Primalthirst; 01-09-2013 at 04:56 AM.
    Nope.

I believe I stepped into my first expert the week or release with around 42k XP (since the tank belt was hard to come by then being an expert drop and all) and we were able to succeed. That being stated, I also had a full guild group with me.

As Primal stated, 45k HP is probably around full BIS crafted items.

Be sure to use the level 56 blue essences as a stepping stone between your previous level 50 essences and the new rep-based essences.

Telaran

i can tank experts fine (as a warrior) with 38k.

there is some trash what can hurt but with the healer on the toes you should be fine

I also started tanking experts in pugs at 38k HP as a cleric. I belive 38k is pretty much what you will have once you meet the toughness and hit requirements (bare minimum gear)

Ascendant

As a good healer (not best or perfect, just good) you need 35-40k to start, bur mostly, you need to know mechanics and not derp them. That has been my issue. I see pug tanks sittong at 300 toughness and 32k hp derping and getting oneshot. Thats where the majority of the issue is.

I'll be starting tanking xperts this week (hopefully no insta vote kicks :-< ) and I have around 39k HP and meet the toughness/hit requirements. My gear is mostly crafted items (I'm a weaponsmith and my guildie is an armorsmith), the questline neck from Ashora and then epic pants from chronicles. My tank sigil is filled with those blue essences you can buy with empyrean stones. I am also using a pvp shield since I have tons of favor -- it's not horrible :-) Check out Rain's BIS warrior list and see what you can update in your set easily...if you can't afford the fancy augments, you can use lower level ones (obviously not BIS though!).

I really think that should be sufficient. I've seen tanks through xperts with 32k health (in a pug, nonetheless!). If the healer is struggling (and you are rotating your CD's), just suggest a dps switch to support.

Also, you may want to try a paladin build just to get life's rapture -- it's a really nice save in experts.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by MissMarmalade View Post
    I've seen tanks through xperts with 32k health (in a pug, nonetheless!). If the healer is struggling (and you are rotating your CD's), just suggest a dps switch to support.

Also, you may want to try a paladin build just to get life's rapture -- it's a really nice save in experts.
    Only good tanks can do an expert with 32k. DO NOT ATTEMPT IF YOU FIND YOURSELF DERPING TO MECHANICS. If you dont derp then grats! More power to ya.

Rift Master

Derp I said essences but meant enhancements ( Enchants, whatever they are here). I do have a sigil with all the blue Level 56 tanking lessers from Lycini and Torvan rep. I have a reaver, vk and paladin tank builds from RoughRaptors' guide.
    Last edited by wayne62682; 01-09-2013 at 09:42 AM.

I was around 32k-36k when I first stepped in with 4 tank pieces of infinity stone gear, dps and quest reward gear. I imagine now it must be much easier to get higher than that and completely over gear the experts with dirt cheap crafted gear and new chronicle gear drops.

For raids I would go w/o 50k unbuffed lol. If your maxed with the best pre-raid gear you should be at 58-60k unbuffed for rogues and cleri tanks. not sure how warriors hp and mitigation work .
    Last edited by Delmlord; 01-09-2013 at 09:46 AM.
    Rehashed, reskinned content =/= Exciting new content
    Retired from Rift thanks to Square E getting their stuff together

Rift Disciple

Warrior with max pre Raidgear get around 54k - 55k HP selfbuffed..

As already stated, if you do know all the Mechanics on Expert Bosses, time your CDs well and have an good Healer you can go into Experts with around 35k+ HP, but then again if you suck at either of this, its more like 42-45k HP +

Its not the Problem to Heal a Tank, its the Main Problem alot Tanks do not have an single Clue about the Encounter Mechanics and just think you outheal everything like old T2s and Master Inis..
    Last edited by Adrominon; 01-09-2013 at 09:56 PM.

Shadowlander

AC + HP make it. I started at 38k hp as rogue with semi-clue on encounter as a DD, but it was not really cake-walk.

Now at 45k hp with a few epic-ini items and a few nerfs, it got easy.

Rift Master

Quote Originally Posted by Adrominon View Post

As already stated, if you do know all the Mechanics on Expert Bosses, time your CDs well and have an good Healer you can go into Experts with around 35k+ HP, but then again if you suck at either of this, its more like 42-45k HP +

Its not the Problem to Heal a Tank, its the Main Problem alot Tanks do not have an single Clue about the Encounter Mechanics and just think you outheal everything like old T2s and Master Inis..
    I've done them all as DPS several times, but haven't tanked them (I've tanked normal Boneforge once). Going to try and get a guild group at least for the first few times as I might have some trouble once or twice with the fights that have mechanics which heavily on the tank (since I haven't experienced it from that POV).

Quote Originally Posted by Adrominon View Post

I think your HP numbers may be a little high, I am only 51k self buffed and have a couple pieces of raid gear, granted I dont have neck or cloak runes yet, and don't have bis essences, so maybe that would be enough to add another 3-4k
    Ortoun 60 Warrior Tank 4/4 TDQ 4/4 FT 5/5 EE 1/4 HM Shatterbone
    Lewin 50 Rogue retired alt/craft bot

+ Reply to Thread