Like Tree7Likes
  • 4 Post By Soul sky
  • 1 Post By Muspel
  • 1 Post By Ajax1114
  • 1 Post By Byona

Thread: Why all of the screen messages v_v

Default Why all of the screen messages v_v

Why a blinding message for Crucia? It has a very long cast time

Why red ground showing where Regulos will smash his fists? The animation can be learned and identified

Matriarch shouldn't spam warning messages every 1 second like a joke, players should have to be more vigilant. I can understand the Unholy disease emote but the Spores AoE dropping debuff, really? It would be much better to just improve the visual warning on the character, like Akylios Mind Control

I feel like content is being released in a post nerfed state. Like when got Akylios got nerfed to have screen messages telling which way he's going to breath, biggest nerf and removal of thrill/enjoyment/satisfaction ever..

Sure, put in these messages when the other boss breaking nerfs come in to help push more players through content before the next content, I have no issue with this at all since it helps more progression guilds see content.

I just feel that bosses are being dumbed down during development before nerfs even come... that's not what we knew Rift to be about from Vanilla

It's really no different than having a screen message saying ''Get ready to move out of the raid Valeryy! I'm putting a nasty debuff on you!!'' Besides the one pull of having to work out what the mechanic does.

At least save these screen emotes for when content is planned to be nerfed later on in the cycle, rather than releasing the bosses with the newb focused emotes.

I'm not trying to be emo about emotes but really imagine if back on SoulRender Zilas if it would do a screen warning emote whenever a Magus spawned... that's what I'm afraid we're heading to v_v completely diminishes raid awareness value
    Valery@Zaviel - Mage | Valzz - Cleric | Soulsky - Rogue | Introvert - Warrior
    Everything you need to know for Mage: www.valvalval.net

You'll find your answer here.

I completely agree with Valery, it's a bit ridiculous.
    I can understand maybe some abilities in 5 mans since they're pugged and done by players of all skill levels. I can understand why they made abilities more identifiable since it removes the reliance on a third party addon, but I still don't like it. I'd prefer they break Boss Addons like KBM so they can't operate.
    Last edited by Primalthirst; 12-23-2012 at 12:17 AM.
    Nope.

Plane Touched

I specifically remember one situation where I always wanted a screen message: Akylios phase 1 where those darn waves could wash you down the bridge. No message at all for them, so you had to rely on an egg-timer or something (or an addon) to tell you when the next was about to come, and then you still had to frantically switch view-directions to find out where it was actually coming from. BAAAAD design overall.

Generally screen messages are not neccessary as long as there's a clear visual (or otherwise) cue as to what the boss is going to do. But I'm happy with the current ground effects showing location and/or direction of AEs...these are good and should stay.

Quote Originally Posted by Primalthirst View Post
    I completely agree with Valery, it's a bit ridiculous.
    I can understand maybe some abilities in 5 mans since they're pugged and done by players of all skill levels. I can understand why they made abilities more identifiable since it removes the reliance on a third party addon, but I still don't like it. I'd prefer they break Boss Addons like KBM so they can't operate.
    I don't think there is a way to break them without gutting plenty of other addons at the same time. As I understand it, KBM scans the combat log, then throws up visuals on your screen (timers, alerts, etc.). Blocking addons from the combat log causes all kinds of things to stop working, such as damage meters. And blocking addons from creating visuals breaks pretty much everything.

I think their goal was not to "gate" content like they did with the raids we've already had. With SL, they gave us BiS crafted pieces, easily accessible gear to get us into the dungeons quickly so we could start killing bosses - for everyone. They didn't want the same 10 top guilds in there from day dot, but to also give all the other guilds a fighting chance.

They started this level of content at a certain difficulty level that they expect to be challenging for most players/guilds (which it is) and provided *everyone* with the opportunity to jump in there. They've tuned the bosses differently to accommodate this. We might call it "prenerfed content" but in reality, it's content that is relative to their goal - which is to let more people see the raids, quicker.

If you step back and see the bigger picture, this affects WAY less people in a negative way, than it does in a positive way. For most players, this is great, but for a handful of the hardcore players, it's frustrating and disappointing.

You make it sound like it's all easy mode, which is true to an extent, but there's no doubt the content is still challenging. The raids we have now are the GSB/ROS equivalents and going forward, we can hopefully expect a little less "prenerfed content" when everyone is 60 and up to the gear check.

After saying all that, i actually personally agree with you Valery. The fist AoE is a little disappointing considering Laethys had the old "Akylios-style slam" emote where you had to visually identify it, and this is basically a step backwards. I think the challenge of needing excellent communication, coordination as well as your personal execution of the fight makes it exciting. It's definitely somewhat lacking in the communication part, seeing as half of it's already done for you.. But i think for the most part, we don't have all that much to complain about.

Except dem bugs!

<Trinity>
    Aussie Dudebro
    Cleric : 4/4 : 5/5
    ~NA First Infinite Perfection~

Soulwalker

For myself, the existence of an addon like KBM means that something fundamental is missing from the game. If bosses were animating/announcing their attacks in a way players could readily see, the addon would most likely not exist. I for one have see wipes and caused wipes in the past because of "didn't see it". I'm sure most of us have. It is a layer of frustration that is easily avoided.

While I understand this addition of extra announcements may "dumb down" the fights for a few, for the most part, it gives the players what they felt was needed.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Popeonarope View Post
    For myself, the existence of an addon like KBM means that something fundamental is missing from the game. If bosses were animating/announcing their attacks in a way players could readily see, the addon would most likely not exist. I for one have see wipes and caused wipes in the past because of "didn't see it". I'm sure most of us have. It is a layer of frustration that is easily avoided.

While I understand this addition of extra announcements may "dumb down" the fights for a few, for the most part, it gives the players what they felt was needed.
    Not being able to see it is just a learn to play issue and a poor excuse. I obviously haven't seen Regulos so can't comment on that but on the Akylios example...you knew approximately when his breath was going to come and watching how he moved told you what side the breath was coming. When they added messages it took all the fun out of that portion of the encounter, although that was much after tons had killed him so it wasn't a big deal at that point. Starting off an encounter that way, I definitely can see where OP is coming from and how that is frustrating and disappointing.

Official Rift Founding Fan Site Operator bctrainers's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Muspel View Post
    I don't think there is a way to break them without gutting plenty of other addons at the same time. As I understand it, KBM scans the combat log, then throws up visuals on your screen (timers, alerts, etc.). Blocking addons from the combat log causes all kinds of things to stop working, such as damage meters. And blocking addons from creating visuals breaks pretty much everything.
    KBM does not "scan" the actual Log.txt file. It's actually pulling from the addon API for any NPC/system say/announces.

As for log.txt not dumping all alerts to it will cause addons such as ACT to not "ping" or TTS say on a trigger. However, combatlog.txt normally will be more than enough for ACT to perform as such for cast alerts.
    Last edited by bctrainers; 12-23-2012 at 07:17 AM.
    --BC

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Bluelightt View Post
    Not being able to see it is just a learn to play issue and a poor excuse. I obviously haven't seen Regulos so can't comment on that but on the Akylios example...you knew approximately when his breath was going to come and watching how he moved told you what side the breath was coming. When they added messages it took all the fun out of that portion of the encounter, although that was much after tons had killed him so it wasn't a big deal at that point. Starting off an encounter that way, I definitely can see where OP is coming from and how that is frustrating and disappointing.
    Saying learn to play is a poor argument so we will just have to disagree on that point. Furthermore, although it may have reduced the fun level for you, the existance of KBM says that its old condition was not fun for others. A solution would be to put into the game settings an option to turn off combat messages and ground queues. This way, for people such as yourself, you can have all the extra challenge that comes with it.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Popeonarope View Post
    Saying learn to play is a poor argument so we will just have to disagree on that point. Furthermore, although it may have reduced the fun level for you, the existance of KBM says that its old condition was not fun for others. A solution would be to put into the game settings an option to turn off combat messages and ground queues. This way, for people such as yourself, you can have all the extra challenge that comes with it.
    The fun comes from competition. Less hard means less competition.

You'd be amazed how little difference a screen warning can make.

Quote Originally Posted by Soul sky View Post
    I'm not trying to be emo about emotes
    Why you hef to be emotes?
    Last edited by Byona; 12-23-2012 at 03:26 PM.
    See you all in Wildstar!

+ Reply to Thread