+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Design Your Own Encounter

Default Design Your Own Encounter

Since it seems like so many people are complaining about how melee unfriendly Storm Legion is and how most MMOs are I figured those people would at least be willing to give their own suggestions and spitball ideas for melee friendly/ranged unfriendly encounters. I'll start.

This randomly named boss will be split into two separate, quickly interchanging phases (25 seconds each) that forces ranged movement but has minimal impact on melee. There will be a constant AoE damage intake of players through every phase.

The fight will begin with the first phase requiring at least 8 of the 20 people to be at ranged to split the ground AoEs that get flung every 5 seconds similar to Demonic Tar on Murdantix in Hammerknell. They are flung after 5 seconds into the first phase and the last one is flung 5 seconds before the next phase begins. The AoEs would be 7 meters in radius and last 30 seconds after first spawning and will get at least one tick of damage on target players regardless of reaction speed. When the second phase begins the boss will become immune to all damage until everyone is in melee and will have to be kited periodically because of placing a ‘bomb’ of some sort down at the same rate as the previous AoEs. Everyone will have to move with the boss as it will still be able to go immune during this phase.

There will be an add that spawns at the start of every melee only phase that will try to run to the boss to sacrifice himself in order to buff his AoE damage. It moves slowly enough that it can be outran by the tank kiting the boss around. Every add that is alive though will increase the damage that the boss applies to the tank. This fight is intended to be a tough dps/healing fight.

I think that would be doable but I am no design expert.

Murdantix is a great example of a balanced fight
    Nope.

Quote Originally Posted by Primalthirst View Post
    Murdantix is a great example of a balanced fight
    except the whole pulling him up the stairs so nobody has to move thing.
    Last edited by TheGrinnz; 12-20-2012 at 03:42 PM.

its not the content thats the problem, its the people who cant manage mechanics
    Last edited by Pixel Monkey; 12-20-2012 at 04:03 PM.
    who took my names!

Quote Originally Posted by TheGrinnz View Post
    except the whole pulling him up the stairs so nobody has to move thing.
    Of course, but if you exclude exploits its a great fight, except for the way the original tank debuff messed with Rogue base Armor.
    Nope.

I found Akylios to be a fairly well balanced fight as well. It is still one of my favorite boss fights. I just figured that the people complaining about melee unfriendly fights would be willing to bring forth their ideas. A fight that punishes melee is easy to come up with but one that favors melee while disadvantaging ranged while still making them be ranged and not just stand in melee the entire time is more difficult to do with variety.

Making something melee friendly is easy. Just have the boss do no PBAoEs and none of the adds too. That way melee gets good uptime on the boss. Then make the encounter heavy movement (a good example is the first boss in empyrean core where you have to move) and done, it's melee friendly.

What makes most fights melee unfriendly in storm legion is mechanics that one shot melee if they don't run out of some mechanic. For some reason, every melee mechanic seems to be a one shot and ranged mechanics only do damage to the player. Some ranged will even finish casts before moving since they know they can survive a tick.

For those saying Akylios was a good example, melee in that encounter was a joke. All you needed to do was move with the stack, it was a very easy encounter for melee.
    Last edited by Mayi; 12-22-2012 at 05:05 AM.
    I rite a gooded guide for rouges.

NB-Sin Guide - http://forums.riftgame.com/rift-gene...-sin-spec.html

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Mayi View Post
    Making something melee friendly is easy. Just have the boss do no PBAoEs and none of the adds too. That way melee gets good uptime on the boss. Then make the encounter heavy movement (a good example is the first boss in empyrean core where you have to move) and done, it's melee friendly.

What makes most fights melee unfriendly in storm legion is mechanics that one shot melee if they don't run out of some mechanic. For some reason, every melee mechanic seems to be a one shot and ranged mechanics only do damage to the player. Some ranged will even finish casts before moving since they know they can survive a tick.

For those saying Akylios was a good example, melee in that encounter was a joke. All you needed to do was move with the stack, it was a very easy encounter for melee.
    There are no mechanics that 1shot melee and not ranged. Melee can take a tick of whatever melee mechanic there is not to mention there is always 2-5 seconds of flashing red warning you its coming. And thats coming from a squishy harbinger.

I would suggest (if we were able to make own encounters) to add a raid instance every month or so:

Going with the following steps:
    -Trion says: Next instance:
    *5 bosses,
    *theme death/earth etc.
    *name of bosses etc.
    -Community guy makes a boss (5 of these for an instance)
    -Special boss server to test this / try it and people can just go in
    -Community votes
    -Trion polishes it into lore or whatever and adds loot
    -Trion publishes new raid instance

Everyone would probably be extremely excited about new raids, Trion doesn't need to invest that much, perfect tested bosses, everyone dance.

IF this is possible, I think nobody can disagree this would be beyond awesome.

Blightweald - DPS Rogue and apparently best bard EU - 14k Achievs

Quote Originally Posted by Reticularize View Post
    There are no mechanics that 1shot melee and not ranged. Melee can take a tick of whatever melee mechanic there is ...
    You must be playing a different game, or do not raid with gear that the content is meant to be done with.
    So long, and thanks for all the fish~

+ Reply to Thread