+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Gelidra - Lacerating Cascade

Shadowlander

Default Gelidra - Lacerating Cascade

Tonight my guild and I were having some major issues with Gelidra's Lacerating Cascade. Basically we we're having an issue where sometimes one tank would take the full brunt of the cleave, getting 1 shooted in the process, while on others the damage was split between the two of them.This happened on all of our attempts at some point or another.

Anyone have any insight into this? The tanks were stood directly on top of each other at one point and it still acted as though there was only one person in front of her. We thought it was an issue with the tanks themselves so we had another player swap to his tank spec and ended up having the exact same issue.

It just seems like we're either missing something major with this one or the mechanic is somehow bugged or even designed to be done by rotating combat resurrections (which I highly doubt is the case).

Any tips would be welcome as at this point it just seems to be a fight against RNG more than anything.
    Last edited by Vortex7889; 12-19-2012 at 05:42 PM.

Champion

My guild had this problem tonight too, eventually both of us tanks relogged and it fixed the problem. depending on your tank, just pop a cd and you can in LC i.e. shield defense then have yer healer put a cd on ya

Rift Chaser

Killed it tonight and did not see this issue. Not sure what is causing it? Possibly some sort of server lag that has you slightly out of position?

I've seen it bug before with the stacks you get from it still getting applied to the not active tank, so wouldn't surprise me.
    Jorlyn, Warrior Tank
    Tabula Rasa, Laethys
    9/9 4/4 HM (World 6th), EE Conqueror (World 1st)
    Watch Tabula Rasa Raids here!
    Check out our recruitment thread here!

We killed Gelidra tonight without issue.
    However, we have seen a similar issue on TotDQ1 where the raid was for all intents and purposes stacked on top of each other, and then 3 people die from the meteor. I'm wondering if imperfections in terrain may be causing issues?

There is an issue with this I think it directly relates to server lag, raiding on a high point shard we seem to get it all the time, however friends on Other guilds on lower pop shards don't notice it,I can't pinpoint the issue but we'd have killed her a long time before if it wasn't for the random 1 shots. Which kinda saddens me....
    Guild Master/ founder of <Coral> @ Icewatch
    Founder of Paradoxical
    4/4 TDQ | 4/4 FT | 4/5 EE
    Guild Site
    guild no longer active!

Shadowlander

We were having some pretty bad ability lag all night and from what you guys have been saying it mostly seems to be lag based..... damn.

Just gotta hope we get lucky then I guess. Anyone have any other ideas?
    Vanari - Guild Leader of End of Days - Icewatch
    4/4 ToTDQ
    Guild Website
    Currently recruiting: Click for more info
    EoD Livestream: http://www.twitch.tv/burnout81

Every time I've done the fight, it seems whichever tank is actively tanking her takes more damage than the other tank. To be on the safe side, have the tank and/or healers use their cooldowns on lacerating.
    Beep Beep Ima Jeep@Deepwood http://http://beepbeep.guildlaunch.com
    Asaomar Lv 60 Rogue Tank[Main]-Miniderps Lv 60 Cleric Tank[Alt]-Shederps Lv 60 Mage[Alt]
    Boss Kill videos | My Live Stream
    All T1 Content ClearedGrim Awakening 4/4, Infinity Gate 2/3, Planebreaker Bastion 3/5

Quote Originally Posted by Asaomar View Post
    Every time I've done the fight, it seems whichever tank is actively tanking her takes more damage than the other tank. To be on the safe side, have the tank and/or healers use their cooldowns on lacerating.
    This is more or less expected because the active tank has a bleed on him and gets auto attacks as well.

special.guildlaunch.com - Always Recruiting Exceptional Players

Free Rift Strats @ rift-mmorpg.com
    Rogue Class Lead

The amount of damage split by cleaves doesn't seem to be even sometimes, same thing can happen on Kain. You get a 60/40 split rather than 50/50. Even after accounting for cooldowns etc.
    Nope.

Shadowlander

Thanks for the info guys, we're looking to head back in there tonight if enough people show up for it so we'll see if any of this helps us at all. Its probably worth mentioning that one of the tanks was getting hit for 70k or thereabouts with cooldowns (or though he claims) so I doubt switching healer focus will help there, but its worth a shot.
    Vanari - Guild Leader of End of Days - Icewatch
    4/4 ToTDQ
    Guild Website
    Currently recruiting: Click for more info
    EoD Livestream: http://www.twitch.tv/burnout81

Quote Originally Posted by Vortex7889 View Post
    Its probably worth mentioning that one of the tanks was getting hit for 70k or thereabouts with cooldowns (or though he claims)
    if you have somebody parsing with ACT you can check the validity of that easily. it breaks down not only outgoing damage but incoming, so if somebody is taking absurd damage, you can go in and look and see how many times he was hit in the space of however many seconds, and how much damage each hit did.
    Beep Beep Ima Jeep@Deepwood http://http://beepbeep.guildlaunch.com
    Asaomar Lv 60 Rogue Tank[Main]-Miniderps Lv 60 Cleric Tank[Alt]-Shederps Lv 60 Mage[Alt]
    Boss Kill videos | My Live Stream
    All T1 Content ClearedGrim Awakening 4/4, Infinity Gate 2/3, Planebreaker Bastion 3/5

Telaran

Happens to us occasionally. Nothing much that can really be done about it unless you cooldown every lacerating. Fortunately a dead tank isn't the end of the world in that fight - just get them up ASAP and make sure they get back in position to soak the next lacerating.
    Arkz@Icewatch
    Arkzy@Icewatch
    <Problem Solved>

General of Telara

if you have somebody parsing with ACT you can check the validity of that easily. it breaks down not only outgoing damage but incoming, so if somebody is taking absurd damage, you can go in and look and see how many times he was hit in the space of however many seconds, and how much damage each hit did.
    although true ACT can be difficult for some people to setup. Simplemeter will do the same thing. Just click on the D on the top right menu for the "Death Tracker" It records who died to what attack. If your tank truely is taking 70k direct damage, it will be shown. Otherwise, it will show what else was the "final blow" on him/her.
    The Riftguard
    Deepwood :: TDQ 4/4 :: FT 2/4
    Morning Raiding Guild - Recruiting!

Atrius: "Paragon seems solid. At Level 60 I came in at the top of IA damage."

Quote Originally Posted by Itseotle View Post
    although true ACT can be difficult for some people to setup. Simplemeter will do the same thing. Just click on the D on the top right menu for the "Death Tracker" It records who died to what attack. If your tank truely is taking 70k direct damage, it will be shown. Otherwise, it will show what else was the "final blow" on him/her.
    I think you mean Super Meter since SimpleMeter was last updated November 19th, 2011 and does not provide that information. Of course, both of those are in-game addons with much smaller feature sets than ACT or Hypatia.

Probably the only big danger zone there is right after an add phase. What generally happens is that after Gelidra comes down, she does an autoattack for 10k, a hit of Icy Talons that hits for up to around 20k, which then leaves the Icy Talons DoT ticking for 5k twice per second. Then pretty much an even 5s after she descends, she does Lacerating Cascade.

And depending on how fast you burned the adds down and whether your other tank has had a timely cleansing applied, will have some damage as well. The little ones peck for about 3k apiece and the Voltaic Spasms DoT ticks for around every 3s for 1k/stack if I remember correctly. Leave 20+ stacks on the tank, you're gong to have a bad time.

To be honest, we often still have the add tank step aside for a moment and our rogue tank just eat the cleave solo with a CD. The cleave can be a sub-5k solo hit with StS.

And... I think pets can actually share that cleave too. So if you're really having issues, I guess you could try speccing up some sacrificial fodder.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast