+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By Deviancy
  • 1 Post By Itseotle

Thread: Queue Pause

Soulwalker

Default Queue Pause

Seams like too many times lately I've missed the expert queue. Either by going out for a smoke, changing loads of laundry or just hitting the restroom.

Wouldn't it be nice to have a button that halts your position in queue by say 5min once per queue so you don't have to stay within earshot of your computer.

With DPS and support queues as long as they are its frustrating to miss one because i had to walk away for 3min.

I'm pretty sure there's something coded in that senses the moment you go AFK and it's going to be at least 61 seconds. Once it realizes you're gone, it pops the queue, rings a bell at Trion HQ, and everyone there laughs.
    |Cleric||<Everlasting Vendetta>||Greybriar|

Quote Originally Posted by Daglar View Post
    I wanted to come out and say the following pretty definitively: There is no goal to make DPS clerics that DPS do less damage than other callings. ~Daglar

General of Telara

OP I understand your point but I'm not sure if you understand exactly what the que does, given your suggestion. That would be like waiting in line at the DMV and the guy at the front goes to use the restroom for 5 mins, and the teller refuses to help anyone until that person comes back, and the line doesn't advance. I more appropriate solution would be that if you didn't respond to the que pop, it did not boot you from que, just bump you down a spot.
    The Riftguard
    Deepwood :: TDQ 4/4 :: FT 2/4
    Morning Raiding Guild - Recruiting!

Atrius: "Paragon seems solid. At Level 60 I came in at the top of IA damage."

Sword of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Itseotle View Post
    OP I understand your point but I'm not sure if you understand exactly what the que does, given your suggestion. That would be like waiting in line at the DMV and the guy at the front goes to use the restroom for 5 mins, and the teller refuses to help anyone until that person comes back, and the line doesn't advance. I more appropriate solution would be that if you didn't respond to the que pop, it did not boot you from que, just bump you down a spot.
    No, what the OP is suggesting is that you are in DMV line, and you let the person behind you go ahead of you while you take a call, for example.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluejaye View Post
    No, what the OP is suggesting is that you are in DMV line, and you let the person behind you go ahead of you while you take a call, for example.
    ... which was exactly what he said in what you had quoted.

Perhaps actually reading posts in their entirety...
    So long, and thanks for all the fish~

Quote Originally Posted by Itseotle View Post
    Think about this for a second. What then would happen if the person was AFK for many many minutes? You'd guarantee that many many potential groups would have to sit around waiting for a minute for the AFK person to not respond. That would slow down the queues for everyone.

This situation would *actually* be like having a long line at the DMV, but there being an unconscious drunk person first in line. Everyone knows the person is unconscious, but the person at the DMV counter is required to wait for that person for a minute before being allowed to serve the second person in line. The second person gets served, and then everyone waits for the unconscious person again for a minute ...

Possible solutions that actually might work: 1) Queue as a tank or healer. 2) Don't AFK.

people actually wait in queue?

tank/heal/support/dps = instant queue

tank/support/dps = instant queue

heal/support/dps = almost instant queue

support/dps = pretty long wait

dps = you will die of old age before you get into a dungeon

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Nebuler View Post
    Seams like too many times lately I've missed the expert queue. Either by going out for a smoke, changing loads of laundry or just hitting the restroom.

Wouldn't it be nice to have a button that halts your position in queue by say 5min once per queue so you don't have to stay within earshot of your computer.

With DPS and support queues as long as they are its frustrating to miss one because i had to walk away for 3min.
    Quit smoking, pee in a cup, grab your poop sock, and laundry? Who does that.

Really tho, i can sympathize

Quote Originally Posted by Ardor View Post
    ... 1) Queue as a tank or healer...
    I think this suggestion is too generalized. Sure I could queue tank, but you would be cursing me if I did. 1) I don't have the gear because I don't enjoy playing tank, 2) I have only ever tanked 1 old world expert so I don't have the skill. Just because you can do something doesn't always mean you should. Trust me, at this point the last thing you want is me tanking for you.

Now the OP suggested a 1 time per queue solution. There is no need to wait because the pause has been hit. We know you are gone, no point waiting the minute. The pause is used up and if you are afk next time then the normal process occurs, you get the boot. You get 1 out, where the next in line instantly gets your spot, then you are sol if you afk again.
    Ashnon - 60 Rogue

I agree that it should not be an automatic code that allows someone to repeatedly hold up the line for 1 min over and over again to be the #1/#2 in line.

However, an active button that would only last for a predetermined time would be nice. Example: I have to take the dog out and get a drink. I place pause ability to the active button and I remain moving in the que per normal movement until I am qued as say number 6 (5 people in a grp and you dont want to hold any of them up). Per the duration of this "pause" you could never move up past #6 in the que.

Now to ensure we do not bog down teh system with AFK'rs the pause could only be active for say 15 mins? before you are just left in the que to have it pop and expire as normal.

I think this would help speed up the que process myself. Then the timeouts for AFK'rs that know they are going to be afk could just take themseslves out of the mix alelviating the wait for for those getting the que to pop. Of course because its my idea I think the idea is perfect, but what do I know about the coding or alternate que problems this might cause......
    Last edited by Riftraf; 12-19-2012 at 08:07 AM.

What i do, is delegate responsibility. I make my kid sit in my chair and "look for the flashing rectangle with the 5 squares in it" if she sees it she finds me and all is well. she gets a cookie and i get another shot at rolling on horrid rng loot tables.
    Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward,
    Whoever cannot take care of himself without that law is both,
    For a wounded man shall say to his assailant "If I die you are forgiven...."

"If I live, I will kill YOU"
    such is the rule of honour.

+ Reply to Thread