+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By BelZoness

Thread: Gelidra and Sterilize

Default Gelidra and Sterilize

Is thee any way to complete the Gelidra fight without Sterilize? If not, why did Trion design an encounter that requires a very specific ability to be successful. I thought the goal in rift was all callings being equal in the roles there playing. As far as I know there are no other souls in the game with an ability like Sterilize or am I missing something here.

Is Rift beginning to lean towards very specific raid make ups were if you do not have the proper souls (besides the holy trinity of course) in the raid you won't be able to complete a giving encounter. I know of a few other games that had mechanics that required you to have X class or there was no way to get through the encounter and I left those games for that reason.

So please someone tell me there is another way around having to use sterilize for this fight. Also are there other encounters in the new raids that require specific souls to complete?
    "Overall we want the various callings to be competitive with each other in their comparative roles. There isnít a mandate that Rogues do more damage than Warriors or that Mages be the best ranged damage in the game. Ideally we would like to see players with equivalent skill, gear, planar attunement, buffs etc be equally effective at damage, tanking or healing." - Kervik

Ascendant

There is no "requirement" for Sterilize; it just helps. You could, in theory, just have healers spamming ST cleanse. The debuffs don't stack up fast enough that makes it impossible.

Official Rift Founding Fan Site Operator bctrainers's Avatar

Arresting Presence, Sabo's stuns and silences, same with cabalist stuns and silences. It will stop those debuffs from going up on the tank, very quickly. Of course, you will always need to cleanse it all off at some point or another.
    --BC

Quote Originally Posted by Ahov View Post
    There is no "requirement" for Sterilize; it just helps. You could, in theory, just have healers spamming ST cleanse. The debuffs don't stack up fast enough that makes it impossible.
    It looked to me like they stack up so fast even 2 people ST cleansing would be hard pressed to get it off and even then they would be doing nothing but cleansing.

Arresting presence and stuns are brilliant, I didn't think they would work, those could potentially buy someone enough time to cleanse the debuff down. We have clerics that have Sterilize, I just would hate to see Trion leaning towards having to have soul A to complete encounter B.
    "Overall we want the various callings to be competitive with each other in their comparative roles. There isnít a mandate that Rogues do more damage than Warriors or that Mages be the best ranged damage in the game. Ideally we would like to see players with equivalent skill, gear, planar attunement, buffs etc be equally effective at damage, tanking or healing." - Kervik

Why is packing sterilize a problem? I thought using a purifier was to be expected.

Which is to say, you could have multiple sentinels and chloros on it, but I mean that's like asking why a hard enrage timer requires a good dps spec.
    Last edited by BelZoness; 12-18-2012 at 05:11 PM.
    Zones@Sargeras
    RIP <Addiction>

I think you misunderstood the design philosophy.

You could also use a Dom subspec on your Archon for Deny to assist with cleansing.
    Nope.

Quote Originally Posted by BelZoness View Post
    Why is packing sterilize a problem? I thought using a purifier was to be expected.

Which is to say, you could have multiple sentinels and chloros on it, but I mean that's like asking why a hard enrage timer requires a good dps spec.
    Packing sterilize is not a problem, but designing encounters around a specific soul is. To many games have gone the route of requiring specific classes to be able to complete an encounter, which can leave players in a bit of a lurch. As I said we have clerics with sterilize but that was not the point of post, the point is (in the case of if Sterilize is required, which I was mistaken as many pointed out) designing encounters around a very specific ability. Most callings have a purge of some kind, most callings have an interrupt of some kind, but there's only one calling with one specific soul that has a remove all debuff stack ability.

The question to my OP has been answered by many people and I appreciate the time everyone has taken to point out that there are more then one way to skin this cat. As I said in a previous post (at the risk of repeating myself) I was not aware that the mobs in question could be silenced or stunned and I was also ignorant of the dom ability Deny (though the CD really nullifies its effectiveness).

Thanks all for addressing my concerns

Rogue pvp PA Cleanse Soul works, and I'm pretty confident scatter the shadows does aswell.

All in all, sterilize isn't the only way to do this, but the most efficient and easiest.
    Last edited by sirrelyc; 12-18-2012 at 06:36 PM.

Prophet of Telara

AoE healing is bad in SL so you need to shield ppl onheavy aoe dmg fights, kinda makes sense

Quote Originally Posted by kliknik View Post
    Packing sterilize is not a problem, but designing encounters around a specific soul is. To many games have gone the route of requiring specific classes to be able to complete an encounter, which can leave players in a bit of a lurch. As I said we have clerics with sterilize but that was not the point of post, the point is (in the case of if Sterilize is required, which I was mistaken as many pointed out) designing encounters around a very specific ability.
    I have the exact opposite opinion. I see no reason not to have certain encounters require specific souls. Making every encounter doable with any setup both limits encounter creativity and doesn't give players incentive to use the soul system to its full potential.

If a raid requires 1 person to use a specific soul that isn't really an issue is it? I don't recall people complaining about needing Void Knight or Purifier on Greenscale or Dominator on K&P. Especially when Purifier is already such a widely used soul.
    Nope.

Quote Originally Posted by Primalthirst View Post
    I have the exact opposite opinion. I see no reason not to have certain encounters require specific souls. Making every encounter doable with any setup both limits encounter creativity and doesn't give players incentive to use the soul system to its full potential.

If a raid requires 1 person to use a specific soul that isn't really an issue is it? I don't recall people complaining about needing Void Knight or Purifier on Greenscale or Dominator on K&P. Especially when Purifier is already such a widely used soul.
    Exactly.

One of the reasons that you HAVE six roles is so that they can design fights with specific and interesting requirements.

Telaran

I would more look at it as them saying that they strongly recommend you bring a diverse selection of healers, one of which should be of each "type." Chloro and Sent for strong HPS, Ward for good aoe HPS, Puri for shielding, and maybe now defiler for the link reduction. Then since they assume you have a good distribution of healing types, why not have a mechanic that takes advantage of one of those types' abilities. Your purifier is definitely going to have it. So why not have a fight that uses it?

Required:

Dominator on maklamos AP adds
    Dominators on Laethys for drains, and reflect
    Dominators on molinar for reflect, interupt
    Dominators on herald for AP on adds

Mages are used to this already.

Basically its not "required", its just optimal. There are ways to do it without steralize. Its just easiest with it. Now telling the dev's there should be no easiest way would just be silly.
    Xenohart
    http://www.fractureguild.enjin.com/ | twitch.tv/xenohartgaming
    4/4 TDQ | 4/4 FT | 5/5 EE | 4/4 GA | 3/3 IG | 4/5 PB | 2/4 BOB 4/4 minis
    I just make it look easy sometimes. ~Daglar

+ Reply to Thread